Tattoos and psoriasis/skin disorders

Bmore

If this is in the wrong place or can be merged with an existing thread, feel free to move it.

I'll start by saying that I have psoriasis. Not the most severe of cases, but enough so that if I have my shirt off, people wonder what the hell these marks are on my body.

Psoriasis is not contagious. Outbreaks can happen anywhere, but for me it seems to be, at least for the past 10 years or so, that my stomach and ribs are the most affected areas. My arms sometimes are slightly affected as well. Obviously these are parts of my body that I want to get tattooed.

It is my understanding that psoriasis can localize around skin that has been damaged with cuts, etc. I've gotten several tattoos and never had an issue, however I've also never been tattooed directly on an area affected by psoriasis.

With all that being said, I'm curious whether any tattoers or collectors here have dealt with this. I know I've seen it listed on a consent form as a pre-existing condition.

Are you uneasy or unwilling to tattoo an area that is affected? Has anyone gotten tattooed on skin that is covered in psoriasis or another kind of skin disorder? Any information you can share in the way of difficulty healing or additional pain?

It's something I've had on my mind lately, and I'd be interested in hearing from the community here. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for anyone who may be interested, according to what I've read it sounds like tattooing over psoriasis is not an option. Maybe it depends on the artist, but the general consensus seems to be that it's a no.

On a personal level, it's extremely disappointing. I'll probably never be able to achieve the coverage I truly want due to the inflammation on my ribs and abdomen, but I guess I should be thankful that I still have a lot of good space to work with.

If I'm lucky, I may even be able to clear up the area on my ribs long enough that I could get a tattoo. I did so years ago, so I guess anything is possible.

I had a small patch on my wrist (I think it was psoriasis but it's just my guess), which seemed to be caused by wearing my watch. I got a tattoo which landed partly on it, the tattooer told me the ink probably would not take well in that part, and it didn't. I stopped wearing my watch on that wrist and the skin is now healthy, so when I go back to the same shop, I might ask for the bit to be redone. I'm also ok with it being imperfect, but it's 2cm of a line, not an arm or a rib.

I did tattooed man who was sick with psoriasis. And not just one. His doctor says that you can do a tattoo on his skin - but that he had to first be treated for a long time to clean relapse. After treatment, the skin becomes his cleaner and it can be normal to tattoo some time.

But it is quite possible that there are some stages of the disease. I would advise you to consult with a doctor - not a joke though.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a related question to Bmore's : I have a mild case of Keratosis Pilaris, which is a pretty common issue on the upper arms, in particular, with tiny bumps and red dots.

I'm planning a shoulder piece and will stick to the upper part of my upper arm (deltoid) and avoid getting down around the triceps area where it is a bit more problematic, but I'm still curious about others who have this.

Anyone have experience getting tattooed over skin with this condition or tattooing anyone with it?

I have developed a strange outbreak of ~1"-2" odd shaped brown blotches in various spots. Legs (largest is ~3" blotch behind my left knee), ribs, hips, bottom of arms - primarily in the softer, paler areas (maybe sun will help this summer). No itch, scale, sensation - just a slight redish-brown discoloration. I'll point it out to my artist, but it is nowhere near my next tattoo (or any of my existing tattoos). Wife and I thought it might be ringworm (not a worm, but a fungus) or some other systemic fungal infection, but it doesn't respond to any anti-fungal treatment, and seems to become a permanent faint-brown spot. Now, at 62 and having worked with various chemicals, carcinogens, and radioactive elements for the majority of my life, it could be most anything.

Slightly OT but I had a mild problem that went away after a diet change to Paleo and using anti fungal cream on affected areas. Turns out for me it was a combination of diet and a fungus that caused it. When it bettered I had to exfoliate a lot to get rid of dead skin but unferneath was perfect skin. Might be worth a try just in case you never heard of it.

I'm interested in this type of thing because as a woman in my 40s my skin is not like it used to be, and it seems that most all of the pictures you see online when researching tattoo images show mostly very young people with smooth, clear skin.

I sometimes forget about my age when I'm looking through tattoos and thinking about what I want for my next one, and really have to picture how it will look on MY body, warts an all, lol. Just because I have slightly looser skin, with more freckles and sun spots than before, doesn't mean I shouldn't get tattooed, right?

• 4 weeks later...

I sometimes forget about my age when I'm looking through tattoos and thinking about what I want for my next one, and really have to picture how it will look on MY body, warts an all, lol. Just because I have slightly looser skin, with more freckles and sun spots than before, doesn't mean I shouldn't get tattooed, right?

I didn't get my first tattoo until my 50's. My first was a sleeve and chest panel, then a full back piece, then the other sleeve and chest. It all healed without incident. I think you are on the right track - forget about your age.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats for damn sure! I am in my middle 40s and just getting started with the big tattoos. Our skin may be a little less smooth, but we know what we want a whole lot more clearly! Lol.

And we can afford quality work!

If you haven't already, wander over the http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/5371-ladies-thread.html. I think it's this thread, but there is a discussion somewhere about the use of tattoos for "cosmetic surgery" - my "back flap" is very nicely hidden in the dorsal fin of an eel! I swear, I need some bicep tattoos to deal with the dreaded batwings.

I'm interested in this type of thing because as a woman in my 40s my skin is not like it used to be, and it seems that most all of the pictures you see online when researching tattoo images show mostly very young people with smooth, clear skin.

I'm healing my work in progress now. A 3/4 sleeve, I guess I never paid attention to my sun damaged skin before (rose colored glasses and all ) But DAMN Im noticing how the ink sits on the top of my forearm where I have 40 + years of sun damage. I can see all those shiny age spots peeking through my color are gonna need a touch up before we're through. But I'm so happy I waited till this point in life to start. I have much BETTER taste now days.