Your Kids and Tattoos

xcom

For those who have kids and have tattoos...

Do your kids have interest on tattoos? What do you tell them about your tattoos when they ask?

All of my kids are old enough to be curious about my tattoos...

While I don't tell them to go run and get tattoos, I do support them when they say "I want a tattoo when I am old enough like you dad". The only rule I keep telling them is... The day you are ready.... I am coming with you! AND never get a tattoo from a friend at their house!!!

I also advice them of them on what could be a life changing decision. My oldest is 13 and he is an artist. He loves drawing and he is pretty skilled.

My oldest went to my first back session because he wanted to see what it was like... A few hours later he told me he wanted to be a tattoo artist or a DJ, or.... You know kids... LOL

As a father I support my kids 100% but it is my duty to guide them along the way....

I would tell her to go slow so she doesn't end up with lots of garbage on her by 19. No text, no 25 lines of poetry/ prose/ stories/ song quotes etc. No neck or hand tattoos. Who knows if we will even cross that bridge

My little girl rubs my arms its very funny that she is noticing that they are different and doesn't get why it doesn't come off.

My little girl rubs my arms its very funny that she is noticing that they are different and doesn't get why it doesn't come off.

Kids are awesome :D

My kids did the same... There was times where they would stare at it and ask .... Dad can I touch your dragon?

And the would poke at it as if it was really alive. :)

LOL :D

I don't have kids yet but this is something I think about all the time. My little cousins are always rubbing my tattoos and amazed that they don't go anywhere. I would deff preach no text no song lyrics I want my kids to find a style they like and find a way to relate to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's funny.

Off topic: xcom are you a fan of the game because I love those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I play the original X-COM back in 95 or so, on my dads computer loading 5 1/2" floppy's..... :D

Though my handle came from my brother who went by that handle way before the game came out.

@xcom very cool

@mclovinfg4 - I'll throw myself under the bus, if I kept getting tattoos at 18 I'm sure I'd have some cannibal corpse/ slipknot/ nine inch nails crap on me. I cringe when I think back at my great ideas for ink from ages 18 - 22. Thank god I was perpetually broke

EDIT: can't forget chuck pahlaniuk quotes either.... oh god I was a mess

@xcom very cool

@mclovinfg4 - I'll throw myself under the bus, if I kept getting tattoos at 18 I'm sure I'd have some cannibal corpse/ slipknot/ nine inch nails crap on me. I cringe when I think back at my great ideas for ink from ages 18 - 22. Thank god I was perpetually broke

Amen to that.

My early tattoos are now becoming cover ups and while I don't regret them, Is just not the style I am in too now.

I took my son to one of the better shops in town, and paid for his first tattoo. I made him wait until he turned 18, even though we can do it earlier in our state. We've talked about keeping tattoos in areas he can cover until he knows for sure what he will be doing for a living. I got my first tattoo at the same time, so we did the whole experience together.

Good discussion.

My six year old likes to go to our tattoo shop. They let her feed the fish and give her press ons. It's fun all around. She's pretty young so she will say she wants to wait until she is 30 to get a real tattoo. I guess we will see.

My wife and I will talk to her more about this as she gets older and our plan is to start saving money for her (if she is interested in tattoos) and let that money grow. The longer she waits the better tattoo she will get. It will probably backfire though when she waits until she is 20 and gets a full back infinity sign. So it goes.

Younger kids and parents have the internet educational advantage these days. May kids are 36 and 29 now, so when they showed an interest they mostly had to stumble into it like I did. No major mistakes, so that's nice.

AND never get a tattoo from a friend at their house!!!

unless they befriend a quality tattooer! if I were mike rubendall's buddy and he wanted to tattoo me at his house, I'd be down! ;)

The longer she waits the better tattoo she will get. It will probably backfire though when she waits until she is 20 and gets a full back infinity sign. So it goes.

wait til she's 40 and get a body suit from Shige's daughter. imagine the potential progression by then!

My three-year old daughter loves my tattoos, especially my sweet and sour babies. She likes wearing temporary tattoos. I sleeved her up one time and we had a blast. A very small part of me getting tattoos is to teach her not to judge people by their appearance. My father was heavily tattooed (WWII vet) and my mom would sometimes express her disapproval of them. My wife is the same way so I sort of see myself as balancing out those prejudices.

If she expresses interest when she gets older, I will be there to help guide her. I will not encourage her nor discourage her from getting them but at least try to teach her about some of the potential consequences of getting them.

I don't think I would bring her into a shop out of respect for the artists. She would have to be much older before I brought her in.

My oldest is six and she doesn't even see mine or my wife's tattoos. It's like they aren't even there.

My two year old, on the other hand, is checking out what I have for tattoos whenever he has the chance.

I wouldn't be surprised if my daughter never got a tattoo, and my son came home with a hand poked anarchy symbol at 13. Haha.

My son is nearly 12, my daughter nearly 10.

My daughter likes looking at my tattoos but says it won't be for her. She's funny though, she sees other people with tattoos and frequently and quietly comments, "dad, you have way more tattoos than him"

My son is always planning his suit which comprises of dragons, snakes, ships and skulls.

They can never understand why people have to stare so intently when we're out when I'm rocking singlet and shorts.

It's nice to know they're developing a non judgmental attitude towards people who "appear" different.

my oldest son is 7, he likes my tattoos, he's pretty good in art and drawing, sometimes he draw on himself to pretend

he's tattooed too. One day he did himself a a big abdomen piece he kept during 1 week!

My other son is 5 and the only tattoo he wants will be his mummy's portrait on his abdomen!

my oldest son is 7, he likes my tattoos, he's pretty good in art and drawing, sometimes he draw on himself to pretend

he's tattooed too. One day he did himself a a big abdomen piece he kept during 1 week!

My other son is 5 and the only tattoo he wants will be his mummy's portrait on his abdomen!

So Awesome!

My youngest wants a pterodactyl on his back .

My oldest wants a T-Rex on his chest. They both have a fascination for dinosaurs.

Kids are awesome :D

I have a 9 month old. From time to time he tries to pick up a tattoo that he sees on me - a maple leaf off my arm etc. But in general he appears to not notice them yet.

It'll be interesting to see whether he considers tattoos square because his mum and dad have plenty of them. I'm curious.

my daughter is 2 and she loves my tattoos, she's always wanting me to put temporary tattoos on her in the same spots I have my tattoos. I'd love for her to want them when she's older, but if she doesn't that's fine as well.