What do you use?

xcom

After you tattoo session what do you use for your healing process?

I been using Aquaphor for some time now. On my 1st back session I healed in about 3 weeks (longest ever, maybe because it was my back). On my second session for sake of shop support I bought a small can of redemption.

And holly crap this stuff works. I am on day 5 and my back is starting to peal like crazy!

It does not smell great (mostly like chocolate) but holds very well together throughout the day while I am at work so that's a plus.

SO I add it one more to my healing process list. If not aquaphore than is redemption.

What do you use?

This last time I used redemption for the first 3 days, then switched to lubriderm once peeling started. I was completely peeled and heeled by the start of day 9. I have found the key to any of the aftercare products is to make sure there is no excess on your skin. Once applied, I lightly dab any access ointment or plasma oozing off with a cotton cloth.

Last post was 2014... I would of gotten shit if I had bump that thread.

- - - Updated - - -

At any rate... Good info in there... I just finish browsing through it... :D

Ice pack... That one is a keeper.

I'm in the minority I guess, I don't go very crazy with it. I leave the wrap on overnight then usually wash at the beginning and end of the day with a light bar soap, and after it's dry apply A&D. Do that for the first two days, and then start with the lotion. In the past I've had no issues with gold bond with aloe, but I may shop around this time.

• 4 weeks later...

Usually a left it wrapped over night, then I wash it with a HP neutral soap, and after that just put bepanthol on it for a few days. But apparently this has now changed. Depending on who you ask, bepanthol is used to heal the skin faster. This is suppose to be bad for the tattoo as you should just use a moisturise of some sort without any healing remits.

I wash with some anti-bacterial soap, and then air dry. I apply a very very thin layer of Aquaphor. If I put too much on it feels like it burns. I do this until it starts peeling then I switch to unscented lotion. As my back piece continued I did get lazy and not really use a lot of ointment, and basically dry healed it.

• 4 weeks later...

I will leave the wrap on till I get home, then wash it lightly with some soap, pat dry with a paper towel, then put some A&D or Auquaphore(usually aquaphore) for the first day or two or till it peels then I switch to lubriderm and just keep it moisturized so that it doesn't end up looking dry.

This time with the back of my hands I used coconut oil after the first day or two and its been just fine as well.

Hm...I wonder if what I'm doing is right now. First tattoo I was told to let it dry and leave it alone. But the crust became so dry and thick it eventually fell off and much of the ink came out..this was not a good tattoo, very scarred and I got it touched up.

My other tattoos were wrapped for a few hours and kept moist so no thick crust could really form. I only rinsed them in the shower with water agter one day but not touching.

I reapplied the creme with panthenol every few hrs when the tattoo felt dry. My tattoos seem to heal well and fast without losing much ink...?

two hours after getting tattooed i'll remove the wrap and wash it lightly with Gold Dial liquid soap.

let it breath then re wrap it in cling before bed. wake up and repeat the first step.

i either let it breath or wrap it again if i'm putting on clothes/ going out, for the first day only, re wash and wrap before bed

next morning wash again, and use a light amount of aquaphore over it, and go about my day. i'll use aquaphore over the remaining course of its healing.

always heals before the 2 week mark, with minimal discomfort :D

Hm...I wonder if what I'm doing is right now. First tattoo I was told to let it dry and leave it alone. But the crust became so fry and thick it eventually fell off and much of the ink came out...this was not a good tattoo, very scarred and I got it touched up.

My other tattoos were wrapped for a few hours and kept moist so no thick crust could really form. I only rinsed them in the shower with water agter one day but not touching.

I reapplied the creme with panthenol every few hrs when the tattoo felt dry. My tattoos seem to heal well and fast without losing much ink...?

i think something to keep in mind is that many factors impact how you heal and if you scab, etc so it might not be your care that influences this process

i had same artist recently do a thigh and shoulder piece

shoulder was thin peel done in a week

thigh will be much longer for a full heal - more in the 6 week range

i also have an artist i barely even peel at all

anyway

Everyone is going to have a slightly different method as we're all different, and you'll figure out what works best for you over time. Me, I take the wrap off as soon as possible (usually after 3-4 hours, when I max out with having plasticwrap on my body suffocating me), then wash really well with a super mild soap, then I apply salve and let it be exposed to the air. For the next 3 days (or until peeling begins) I keep up with washing 2x/day and applying salve as often as needed, then will switch to lotion (or another salve, depending on what's going on with my skin) once peeling has begun. Continue for as long as needed. I'll ice and use homeopathic arnica (internal) as needed for the first 48 hours too (thanks to LST, I picked up those to handy tips and now use them).

I had a lot of ink loss with A&D ointment (I'm certain it's because I couldn't get it to spread thinly enough because of the consistency of it), and don't like Aquaphor's stickiness but I will use it if my skin seems extra dry. So... it depends :) Never have had a scabbing issue, nor do I re-wrap.

• 4 months later...

I keep the artist applied saran wrap on for the first 4 hours,then wash & apply new saran wrap & cocoa butter,then wash and one more clean saran wrap to sleep that night,then start with

washing with this soap every 4 hours for the next day in a warm shower scrubbing with the palm of my hand,

after each wash I apply a very light coat of the cocoa butter,

starting the next day, shower normal once a day and keep a very light coat of the cocoa butter on 24/7 for the first 4 or 5 days,

once it starts peeling & itching after the first 4 or 5 days I start using the fragrance free Lubriderm.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzjEBtC0pZHERoH7eOSRDqjhUzBOl_FllDNlDlunBgCuagceyZ

k2-_386e65ae-6ad7-4237-bab9-834a0cfc86de.v1.jpg

a1d99dc44a46f3940ed98434d7d5.jpg