What do you use?

xcom

Thanks for all the info! It's healing well so far (I uploaded a pic). I took off the tegaderm this morning and there is no scabbing or anything. It's been a little itchy since early Sunday morning. I'm applying Tattoo Goo Salve until I can get in the Hustle Butter. I might be going too thin because it seems to be gone after about 2 or 3 hours and start itching slightly. It might just initially suck up the moisture faster since it's been covered for 5 days.

Thanks for all the info! It's healing well so far (I uploaded a pic). I took off the tegaderm this morning and there is no scabbing or anything. It's been a little itchy since early Sunday morning. I'm applying Tattoo Goo Salve until I can get in the Hustle Butter. I might be going too thin because it seems to be gone after about 2 or 3 hours and start itching slightly. It might just initially suck up the moisture faster since it's been covered for 5 days.

dont over do it

you realize it will heal if you do nothing at all

- - - Updated - - -

dont over do it

dont over do it

I know, but they tend to heal better if they aren't allowed to dry out (which is different from slathering moisturizer of course). I'm using barely enough to stretch over the entire surface and even then it takes a little coaxing to get all of it. I'm thinking of just doing a thin layer and then wiping off any excess. I did that earlier and it's lasted much longer. I gently washed it 3 times today to keep the salve from building up, but as I'm firmly in stage two I'm thinking of just washing it once a day (maybe twice) and applying salve as needed.

I think you should do whatever your artist suggests. That's what I've always done, and save for an allergic reaction (resulting in a horrible infection) to a particular blue, they've always healed beautifully. To each their own.

I didn't realize you could have reactions to specific colors. Is it caused by the brand or the ingredients used to make the color? Is it less likely with premium ink brands? Is there any way to test beforehand? How did you treat the reaction? Did the problem go away once the tattoo healed or did you continue to have problems? I'm asking because I think information on reaction care and treatment would be a good edition to an aftercare thread. Also, I'm curious :)

PS: Sorry in advance if I went a little overboard. Like I said in the other thread, I have OCD and can be a little much XD

It was a premium ink. It was just something in the color. We're still not entirely sure what happened, but the ink was definitely the issue. He threw the bottle away and won't use that particular blue anymore. There's no way to test beforehand that I know of. *shrug*

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, nicolep said:

I am super basic. I use Lubriderm and Dial liquid soap. It has worked great so far, especially since I have really sensitive skin and don't like to add too many new formulas to the mix.

100% agreed- except for I use Dove Beauty Bar. My tattoos heal beautifully with Lubriderm and I've never had problems using it. The one time I used an ointment specifically for tattoos it scabbed and peeled way too quickly (done in four days) and looks like a much older tattoo than it is. Weird. 

Obviously I'm not an expert and I listen to my artist, but after that unexplained experience I've gone back to Lubriderm and unscented soaps and everything's perfect again. 

• 2 months later...

Here in Northern Italy almost everyone uses Bepanthenol, which is a cream made up by 5% Panthenol ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthenol )

I don't know, I've been lurking on forums and such for years but I think I very rarely read about Panthenol.. to me, it's the perfect one! Of course we are all different, I use it for exactly 14 days regardless on the spot, colors or size.. has always worked perfectly!

I read the article above on inkluded.co.uk, which actually refers to the UK market (the Bepanthenol product sold in Italy is made in Italy and probably is different, it contains only 5% Panthenol).. I really don't know what to say, my tattoo artists use that cream, I have always been using it and my tattoos are all perfect, even those 10 or 12 years old but I'm not a doctor so I can say anything more..

For soap, I have always been using Neutro Robert's antibacterial soap, sold in every supermarket. It's a brand from Florence and I learned right now this thing, I thought it was English ahah but ok, we have Dove soaps everywhere too..

Edited by Hel7

• 4 months later...

My general routine:

1) Come home, take bandage/wrap off

2) Wash with very warm water and the cheap ass hand soap I buy (I don't even think it's Dial, I think it's generic Dial lol)

3) Pat dry with a clean towel

4) Keep the area elevated to minimize swelling and oozing. The first night I might jerry rig up a loose bandage using paper towels so I don't stick to my sheets and clothes in the morning. To remove, hop in the shower, soak the paper towel, and peel away gently.

5) Continue to wash and dry like this a couple times a day for the first couple days until it dries out and stops oozing. No Aquaphor or anything during this time period, just washing.

6) Pretty much nothing after that. Maybe a tiny dab of Lubriderm when it gets so dry and itchy I can't stand it. Less is more.

I usually change to a new wrapping the first night to avoid blood and goo on my sheets. Then the following weeks I clean it with water and perfume free soap morning and night, as well as applying Hustle Butter about 3-4 ish times a day. (When its feeling very dry.)

Got most of my arm covered as well as a couple flashes, turned out great everytime. :)

Keep it covered til the night, wash out all the goo and rewrap with saran. 

Next few days wash with antiseptic soap - usually a bar of dettol -  and rewrap every 4ish hours during the day, applying moisturiser if needed

I wet heal my tattoos until it feels ready to let them dry out - usually after 2-3 days. Stops them scabbing. Also stops them touching my clothes. Only exception is in hot weather when the saran comes off a lot sooner.