Hi Everyone! I Got My First Tattoo Today.

TheAsian

You seem like a nice guy with a good attitude. You'll do fine.

Yeah, I mean I'd like to think I'm a pretty down to earth kid. 18 year old asian kid who goes to school, pretty shy and crap and also plays a lot of video games. Besides the tattoo, I don't think I've ever done something yolo like this LOL

I still remember when this forum was devoted to promoting good tattooing.

This board also gives the generic response to cover all bad tattoos with a giant black panther. I don't think that should be applied in this case. Otherwise he will be asking me what size fries I want for a long time

I have buddies in the NYPD with sleeves and such, but they are the kick in the door squad of narc so maybe not fitting the bill is the point.

My advice is wait a few more years for another tattoo

I'd advise against getting the other side of your neck tattooed, especially if you're not actially interested in tattoos and not interested in how it will affect the rest of your life. There was a lot more rant here but lol yolo.

Yeah this will probably be my last tattoo, we'll see though.

I still remember when this forum was devoted to promoting good tattooing.

this thread seems like a classic case of ''It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

if this thread started, "hey... i'm thinking of getting my first tattoo on my neck. what do you LSTers think?" the answer would be a overwhelming and resounding "OH HELL NO!!!"

for some reason, folks have seemed to go easy on the fella and i guess it's because what's done is done... and was done with a certain naivete. if you haven't caught on @<a href="http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/member.php?u=53505" target="_blank">TheAsian</a> , there are plenty of unwritten rules in the tattoo community and you just happened to break one of the big 'uns right off the bat. now that you're part of this great forum and dove neck first into the tattoo community, it might be good for you to peruse the rest of the site, read up on some neck and hand tattoo threads and watch some (or all) of the interview vids. there's plenty of information to absorb and growth and humbling to be had.

we're (mostly) a nice bunch ;) and can provide guidance for how to handle this recent life change of yours and other tattoo related changes to come, if guidance is what you're looking for. as you've already found out, advice often comes whether solicited or not. don't take it the wrong way... there might be a few folks on here who are racecars in the red...

https://youtu.be/QOBvGGaDnKQ?t=39s

Btw @TheAsian, I wasn't trying to rag on you. I got my first tattoo at eighteen too. Like you, I did a spot that isn't as easy to casually cover, middle of my bicep. But since all of my tattoos are on my upper arm, I have the option to wear long sleeves, and no one who doesn't need to will ever know I have ink unless I tell them. If I show up for an interview, no one will be able to exclude me because of my love of tattoos. I can rest easy knowing that if I want to be a sanitation worker today or a CEO tomorrow, my appearance will not be a deciding factor.

You will have a bit more to worry about. Not trying to preach, just laying the facts out. If you love tattoos and don't mind working in a field where they don't affect your career options, or actively working to be good enough that your tattoos are not a deciding factor, more power to you! God knows I want to get full suited up, but that is a ways down the road, maybe once I have a solid career and a full set of designs in my brain. And I don't mind taking my time. Just some food for thought my man.

its good discussion here asian - i think folks are just being honest - i do think you might be in trouble in regards to wanting to go into law enforcement with a neck tatt - i have friends who are cops and several have ink - even on the lower arms - anyway - my field - education - you'd probably be ok - especially since i too think its on the tamer side in terms of content - my ink is not too visible at work but can be seen at times when i wear certain shirts - anyway - neck tatts are very cool but i'd be lying if i told you it was a great placement for your first - but as it has been said - yolo!!!

I think also many people here take tattooing VERY seriously, so a situation like yours is a little insulting to the art form.

Honestly I wouldn't go back to that artist, since he really should have advised you of all this and probably should have refused to do it at all.

I kinda understand now that you put it THAT way.

I guess I'm sorry?

this thread seems like a classic case of ''It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

if this thread started, "hey... i'm thinking of getting my first tattoo on my neck. what do you LSTers think?" the answer would be a overwhelming and resounding "OH HELL NO!!!"

for some reason, folks have seemed to go easy on the fella and i guess it's because what's done is done... and was done with a certain naivete. if you haven't caught on @<a href="http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/members/theasian.html" target="_blank">TheAsian</a> , there are plenty of unwritten rules in the tattoo community and you just happened to break one of the big 'uns right off the bat. now that you're part of this great forum and dove neck first into the tattoo community, it might be good for you to peruse the rest of the site, read up on some neck and hand tattoo threads and watch some (or all) of the interview vids. there's plenty of information to absorb and growth and humbling to be had.

we're (mostly) a nice bunch ;) and can provide guidance for how to handle this recent life change of yours and other tattoo related changes to come, if guidance is what you're looking for. as you've already found out, advice often comes whether solicited or not. don't take it the wrong way... there might be a few folks on here who are racecars in the red...

https://youtu.be/QOBvGGaDnKQ?t=39s

This is a great reply.

FWIW, I'm 40+ and am tattooed from the collar of my T-shirt to the tops of my feet with very little open space left. Yet my hands and neck are not tattooed at all. I don't expect anyone to understand why I'm so heavily tattooed, and I'll tell you right now that you'll meet lots of people who won't understand why you tattooed your neck.

I'm not saying that you have it removed, but in the event that you want to open up your career options some day, you'll be pleased to know that laser removal has come a long way in recent years.

This is a great reply.

FWIW, I'm 40+ and am tattooed from the collar of my T-shirt to the tops of my feet with very little open space left. Yet my hands and neck are not tattooed at all. I don't expect anyone to understand why I'm so heavily tattooed, and I'll tell you right now that you'll meet lots of people who won't understand why you tattooed your neck.

I'm not saying that you have it removed, but in the event that you want to open up your career options some day, you'll be pleased to know that laser removal has come a long way in recent years.

I'll keep that in mind! Gonna be a long time till I settle down with a permanent career ( just started college ). A lot can happen in 4-5 years, we'll see what happens though.

@TheAsian

You dived straight in off the cuff, without thought and recklessly without giving a fuck apart from just wanting to get tattooed...just like a lot of us did when we were 18 ;)

Tattoos are the stories of our lives, they form part of our life experiences and you've just embarked on one of your own.

It's done man. Love it.

A lot of us come from a generation of where having your hands and neck slammed are areas that were "earned" We also came from a generation that a tattooer wouldn't tattoo your hands or neck until you had earned it by having a high proportion of your body already committed.

As my original tattooer told me when I was 18, "there will come a day, at least one that for whatever reason you will wish no one can see your tattoos, and when you're in that moment, I don't want to be remembered as the person who tattooed your face, neck or hands"

I never gave that much thought when I was 18, but I learned to understand what it meant.

I waited until I was suited to hit solid hands and neck and I love them. I'm still as reckless as what I was when I was 18...AND, I hold s respectable Govt management position. I just have to work harder to show motherfuckers I know my stuff.

We're in a different generation now. We don't have the same "code" as what a lot of us here were brought up with.

My parents couldn't understand why I pierced my ear at 14 and tattooed my arm at 17. I can't understand why the youth today plug their ears or choose a hand or neck tattoo as their 1st, but it's not for me to understand. It's for you :)

Now!! Start working on your bodysuit!

@TheAsian

You dived straight in off the cuff, without thought and recklessly without giving a fuck apart from just wanting to get tattooed...just like a lot of us did when we were 18 ;)

Tattoos are the stories of our lives, they form part of our life experiences and you've just embarked on one of your own.

It's done man. Love it.

A lot of us come from a generation of where having your hands and neck slammed are areas that were "earned" We also came from a generation that a tattooer wouldn't tattoo your hands or neck until you had earned it by having a high proportion of your body already committed.

As my original tattooer told me when I was 18, "there will come a day, at least one that for whatever reason you will wish no one can see your tattoos, and when you're in that moment, I don't want to be remembered as the person who tattooed your face, neck or hands"

I never gave that much thought when I was 18, but I learned to understand what it meant.

I waited until I was suited to hit solid hands and neck and I love them. I'm still as reckless as what I was when I was 18...AND, I hold s respectable Govt management position. I just have to work harder to show motherfuckers I know my stuff.

We're in a different generation now. We don't have the same "code" as what a lot of us here were brought up with.

My parents couldn't understand why I pierced my ear at 14 and tattooed my arm at 17. I can't understand why the youth today plug their ears or choose a hand or neck tattoo as their 1st, but it's not for me to understand. It's for you :)

Now!! Start working on your bodysuit!

That was an awesome speech dude. I will definitely wait a long while and give my 2nd tattoo a thought.

Thanks bro.