artistic advise needed

jeff99206

Hey everyone, name's Jeff I have a total of 6 tattoos and have plans to get many more. My most recent desire has been to have an underwater scene on my left arm. I have a few issues though 1) there is a gecko on my outer bicep which I figured I would have a section of land merge into water, not exactly sure how to do that, maybe with the gecko climbing a stone wall? and 2) when I had my starfish done, the artist put a pearl next to it that is my daughters birth stone color. I originally thought I would have an octopus cradling the pearl, but I'm not totally sure how that would lay out on my arm and others have suggested a clam which I guess I may consider. I am wondering what else can become of this pearl that is just floating around by itself? Other creatures I would also like to eventually include in this piece are an octopus, a sea turtle, a jellyfish, maybe a coy fish, or other fish, a mermaid, a crab, and lots more water, etc. I'm just kind of going with whatever happens getting one section done at a time. Just hoping someone with an artistic mind will read this and help me decide on an appealing design or at least point me in the right direction. This lonesome pearl is kind of driving me up the wall and I need to do something with it soon. I keep getting good ideas brainstormed up but then I change my mind so I need someone else with an artistic mind to give me an opinion.

Thanks everyone!tat4_thumb.jpg tat2_thumb.jpg tat3_thumb.jpg tat1_thumb.jpg

Just hoping someone with an artistic mind will read this and help me decide on an appealing design or at least point me in the right direction.

I generally only suggest panthers or flames, which will probably not be of use to you in this situation.

I would like to make the suggestion, though, that your tattoo artist probably would be the best person to get advice from on this. :)

There are SO many things that could be done with that pearl! The tentacles of the octopus could cradle it or hold it at the tips of its tentacles while moving in some direction. Jellyfish could do that too. A crab could have its claws up and hold it in its claws like a trophy.

A clam is boring, and I don't know your artist, but if that's the only thing they could come up with, that's disappointing in the creativity department. Absolutely tell him you don't like that idea. Maybe talk to other artists in your area?

if you're trying to go for a marine environment theme, koi fish are freshwater. As for the pearl, up to you. Depending on how accurate you want to take it, clams aren't the ones that make the big, colorful, expensive pearls we often associate with jewelry. Those come from oysters, and only certain kinds.

thanks for the advise guys! SeeSea I really like your idea of a crab holding the pearl as a prize, I think I might very well go with that! And sighthound thank you for the facts about coy fish and clams! I didn't even know those things. I def don't want a tat that is conflicted.

I have an app to see an artist on Saturday, I'll update with pics.

Jeff