Recommendation for Shops in Syracuse/Upstate NY Area

tacifone

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to the forums here and have been reading a lot of posts. I currently have no tattoos but for the past few years have really wanted to get my first tattoo of my family crest. I live in the Syracuse NY area and was wondering if any of you guys have any recommendations for any good shops near by. I have talked to a few members on here and have heard good things about Halo Tattoo and Scarab Body Arts both of which are in Syracuse. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Tyler

One of those doesn't have a link to any online portfolio. That's not usually a good sign . . .

I know there is someone who is pretty good in Rochester - but I can't remember the name at the moment. I know a couple of folks here will, though.

Jon Mirro does pretty good work. He frequently visits Hand of Doom in Buffalo.

Halo is a good bet. I haven't been tattooed there personally but DJ Rose worked the Rochester convention when I was there a couple of years ago and he does really nice looking tattoos. I know there's at least one poster here who is a big Rick Lohm fan. You'll get a nice tattoo from Halo.

Thanks everyone. And I know I am definitely over thinking this whole process, its just a big step for me and want to make sure I do it right. I actually sent Nik Moore from Scarab an email about a week ago regarding a possible consultation to talk about a tattoo and he did not even respond to me. I am not sure if it is normal for an artist to take that long or not but it seemed unprofessional to me. Hope that doesn't offend anyone. If it is normal for an artist to take that long than I completely understand but I would think they would try and check their emails. It said he tattoos three or four days a week and to email him for any questions. I am going to try and set up a consult with Halo within the next few weeks to talk things over with them.

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to the forums here and have been reading a lot of posts. I currently have no tattoos but for the past few years have really wanted to get my first tattoo of my family crest. I live in the Syracuse NY area and was wondering if any of you guys have any recommendations for any good shops near by. I have talked to a few members on here and have heard good things about Halo Tattoo and Scarab Body Arts both of which are in Syracuse. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Tyler

Hi, Tyler -

I was stalking this forum for a completely different reason, but I saw your question and I had to respond. It's not often I see someone from my neck of the woods posting on a forum, so :P I highly, highly recommend Scarab Body Arts. I have had two tattoos there and the experience was awesome, the shop was insanely clean, the artist knew what he was doing, very professional. My tattoos healed perfectly, and I am actually heading back there to get another tattoo within the next couple of months. They also have an insane selection of quality jewelry if you're into body piercing, and when I had an issue with my tragus piercing that I got done in Philly, they let me just come in and one of their piercers took a look at it and gave me advice on how to make sure it healed properly. Love Scarab.

I've heard mixed things about Halo. Some people have had a great experience there, some not so much. They definitely cultivate a certain image that sort of rubs me the wrong way, so I've always avoided them. I've never heard a single bad thing about Scarab, though.

Where abouts are you from? I'm actually just south of Utica but I just put Syracuse on there since it is a more common city. And thank you for the reply. Who from Scarab tattooed you? I have been looking at Nik Moore's work from there and it is pretty impressive.

Where abouts are you from? I'm actually just south of Utica but I just put Syracuse on there since it is a more common city. And thank you for the reply. Who from Scarab tattooed you? I have been looking at Nik Moore's work from there and it is pretty impressive.

I'm from Syracuse itself. I got tattooed by Sean Morgan for both of my tattoos, he did a good job. If you're into geometric designs, Nik Moore is your man though, his portfolio is really impressive. As for your complaint about not hearing back right away, that's pretty typical for the shop in my experience. I'm in the process of scheduling with Jamie Santos and I had to email her twice to get a response. The same with Sean Morgan. I don't know what the deal with that is, but I really like the shop otherwise and I'm fine with some slow communication getting in the door as long as I end up with a nice tattoo in a chill atmosphere, which is what you'll end up with if you go there :)