Will I be ok to work?

knucklehead211

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, sorry in advance. My tattoo appt was originally on the 28th, but now it has been bumped to the 21st and I don't think I will be able to find coverage at my job. It is going to be most likely just the outline of a full calf sleeve, maybe shading too, in traditional style. I work overnights, so I'm sure by the time I'm out of the shop I'll be drained and sore. Probably have just enough time for a quick nap before I need to work. My job is a pain, three walking tour of the facility that takes at least 25 minutes and just sitting around thd rest of the time. Long story short, is it really safe to work on this? I was originally going to lay up for three days after, but with my appt moving up I can't get the time off. Thoughts?

With respect to doing this post-tattoo, don't worry about it.

With respect to it being your calf, from some of the laments around here, there is sometimes more swelling and hobbling around with lower leg tattoos. But my guess is if it's mostly just lining, you'll probably have some pain but not much trouble. Elevate your leg between tours.

Good luck on the session!

With respect to doing this post-tattoo, don't worry about it.

With respect to it being your calf, from some of the laments around here, there is sometimes more swelling and hobbling around with lower leg tattoos. But my guess is if it's mostly just lining, you'll probably have some pain but not much trouble. Elevate your leg between tours.

Good luck on the session!

Yeah, that was what sparked my worries, reading about peoples massive cankles! Haha. I figure I'll go out and buy some cheap walmart shoes just in case I leak from the wrap any. Thank you for the heads up!

Hydrate before and after. The walking may actually help to keep the blood circulating. Sitting may be a pain, and if you sit or stand for too long you might feel quite stiff. You should be fine, though. At 62, I've not had any post-tattoo problems (other than the blues because I was disappointed by the work). Not had any big pieces yet, though. Try to not have anything rub the tattoo if you can avoid it. I used a sung elastic sleeve over one on my forearm to keep my shirt from rubbing it. Worked great.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I can't get away with sweatpants, the job is security and even then it looks like we're having bigwigs come in...at midnight of all times. Depending on what time I finish/get any rest, I may leave the wrap on. As far as hydration, I've been hitting the water fountains every time I finish a tour and plan on buying some OJ when I get a spare hour or two...these past few weeks have been hell. Came outside at eight this morning and found my truck leaking antifreeze again. This time it's the water pump. Took it to firestone and the guy said he had a remanned one that was half the price, he rings it up - 400 freakin dollars! Of course I work tonight so I said do it. The only good thing about my hours is that I've pretty much cashed a weeks worth of extra work, all in OT, so the cost is a nonissue and won't affect my ink. Still hoping someone can take my shift, I found a guy willing to cover the last half, so that would still make my life easier.

I found it really painful to stand/walk after my calf tattoos. But it only hurt for a couple seconds, after I was up and moving, I didn't have any pain. Something about the blood rushing to that area, it feels like a horrible cramp. Elevating and icing it as much as possible definitely helps with the swelling.

Enjoy your session today. Looking forward to seeing pics.

-Rob

Thanks man! Luckily I got the night after off (back at it tonight), so I got my nine hours and enjoyed a lazy morning with my dog. It was a lot of fun to pick his brain while he worked. "Whispering" Danny, the owner of both Exile and it's partner shop next door walked by and was complimenting Nathan on the line work. Had an old biker say it was rad and one of the other artists say "Holy shit man, is this your first?!" haha. I posted pics in the lowdown board, they're also in my gallery. Definitely gonna milk it for two days next time though, I enjoy having an excuse to pit my feet up and veg out!

Thanks man! Luckily I got the night after off (back at it tonight), so I got my nine hours and enjoyed a lazy morning with my dog. It was a lot of fun to pick his brain while he worked. "Whispering" Danny, the owner of both Exile and it's partner shop next door walked by and was complimenting Nathan on the line work. Had an old biker say it was rad and one of the other artists say "Holy shit man, is this your first?!" haha. I posted pics in the lowdown board, they're also in my gallery. Definitely gonna milk it for two days next time though, I enjoy having an excuse to pit my feet up and veg out!

Awesome! That is going to be amazing. Glad you got a couple of nights off and were able to take it easy. How is it feeling today? When do you have your next session?

-Rob

Awesome! That is going to be amazing. Glad you got a couple of nights off and were able to take it easy. How is it feeling today? When do you have your next session?

-Rob

Well thanks man! I always wondered what other people thought of my ink, not necessarily in a judging way but whether they dug it. Glad to hear me and my artist aren't the odd ones out! Today was good. Started to chafe a bit on my ankle, but I think it was more shaved legs plus high work boots. It is much better now, might be about ready to peel! Next time we'll do the shading, April 18th. Nervous for that on my ankle/Achilles, but pain is temporary!