Honor...

ApprenticeLife

I just worked the Lady Luck convention in Reno this weekend and had such an incredible time. My teacher was about to receive some traditional Tatau from Si'i Liufau on the back of his thigh. We were sharing a booth, so I knew I would have an amazing view into this ancient way of tattooing. About 20 minutes before they were to start, Si'i came over and sat on the mat. He looked at me and said, "Nate... we're going to need you to help stretch". His apprentice asked me to take off my shoes and hat, then gave me a sarong to wear. We all sat on the mat and, with some initial guidance from Si'i, we went to work for over 4 hours. It was truly unbelievable to be a part of something like that. No breaks. No food. No water. Just blood and sweat. To be honest, I haven't been able to walk normal all day, because my back and hips are so sore. When it was over though, Si'i said, "Malo, Nate. Good job. Most people can't do what you just did. You did yourself, me and your teacher proud. Next time we come to the area, I'm going to have you help again." I really just can't even put into words how much of an honor it was to be a part of this. I'm exhausted and need to go to bed, but I just felt I had to share this experience. post-53528-146168878443_thumb.jpg