It is a pleasure to meet you all....whoever you are...

BrooklynDude

Hello guys,

my name is Gianni, I am Italian but I live in New York City now. I am totally new to the tattoo world and at the age of 31 I have decided to get my first one. I have never been against tattoos, I just needed a lifelong reason for a lifelong mark on my body. After tough times I finally have it and I want to mark it forever.

I actually do not hear good news about tattooers in NYC. Honestly I have no idea how to even judge that based on my nonexistent experience. I will use the forum to document myself as much as I can. An Italian friend has advised me Ondrash in Czech Republic as one of the best watercolors tattooers but I don't know if this is the right section to ask if anyone has gotten a tattoo from him.

In the meantime...nice to meet you all :):):):):)

Benvenuto !

I would expect NYC to have a lot of world class tattooers be accessible to you.

Flyrite - Adorned - Kings Ave - NYHC ... those jump to mind but there are others here that are more local to the area that have been tattooed by some of the best in NYC.

I think Flyrite is near Williamsburgh? I don't know I've only been to NYC once over a decade ago. I did get the opportunity to check out Flyrite on that trip (my NY bud said I should go check it out for the sake of checking it out), it had a super bad ass old school vibe. Would love to get tattooed there.

In my opinion you may be hard pressed finding a "good" watercolour tattoo or tattooer anywhere in the world! a-o zing

Flyrite is a block or so away from Saved in W'Burg. Both are excellent shops. There's also Three Kings, Daredevil, Fun City, Invisible, Smith Street, Greenpoint, Bound for Glory, North Star, too many to name really. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that NYC is one of the best cities in the world for tattoos at the moment.

For watercolor tattoos I agree with @bongsau but if you want to spend way too much money on a tattoo that is going to fall apart really quickly, you have Amanda Wachob and Gene Coffey, and probably others who are also "good" but really you should read this thread before you think about something like that.

Welcome!

Flyrite is a block or so away from Saved in W'Burg. Both are excellent shops. There's also Three Kings, Daredevil, Fun City, Invisible, Smith Street, Greenpoint, Bound for Glory, North Star, too many to name really. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that NYC is one of the best cities in the world for tattoos at the moment.

For watercolor tattoos I agree with @bongsau but if you want to spend way too much money on a tattoo that is going to fall apart really quickly, you have Amanda Wachob and Gene Coffey, and probably others who are also "good" but really you should read this thread before you think about something like that.

Welcome!

Thank you for the welcome...

what do you in that part I highlighted..... would you say a tattoo from Ondrash or whoever does watercolors like him would fade away in 3 or 4 years???

Thank you for the thread you linked me to....I will read the whole thing... :)

Thank you for the welcome...

what do you in that part I highlighted..... would you say a tattoo from Ondrash or whoever does watercolors like him would fade away in 3 or 4 years???

Thank you for the thread you linked me to....I will read the whole thing... :)

@BrooklynDude, Bro get what ever you want as a tattoo.

You will quickly find out that most people in this forum are into traditional tattoos...

I am one of those exceptions. :D

@BrooklynDude spend some time looking at other styles of tattoos. When I first found LST I thought I would be relegated to some blackwork which I think can be awesome but got great advice and ended up lasering my back. Early on I thought all black and grey (which i still find very cool)but quickly saw that bold traditional or Japanese was great for longevity and really started appreciating it. Fast forward 4 1/2 yrs and I have all traditional style tattoos and I love em. I see tattoos everyday most just re affirm that I made good decisions thanks to the help here.

@BrooklynDudeYou will quickly find out that most people in this forum are into traditional tattoos...

I am one of those exceptions. :D

Well, sorta disagree with this. Yes, traditional, Japanese, anything that is bold and will hold seems to be the theme. There are plenty of folks here with other types of tattoos (me too). It's kinda the reverse I think - read the thread @Graeme posted - the folks here generally end up with tattoos that meet the descriptions in the thread ... many of which just happen to be traditional tattoos.

There are some watercolor tattoos that I just adore, but I don't see myself getting one unless years from now we all see that they age better than expected.

And, Welcome!

Hi BrooklynDude!

I know you came this forum and had a question but I was hoping I could ask you a question? You mentioned you were Italian and wondering if you read/write in Italian too? I wanted to get my first tattoo in Italian and want to make sure it's correct ;)

Can you translate: Laughter is beauty

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi BrooklynDude!

I know you came this forum and had a question but I was hoping I could ask you a question? You mentioned you were Italian and wondering if you read/write in Italian too? I wanted to get my first tattoo in Italian and want to make sure it's correct ;)

Can you translate: Laughter is beauty

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Problem. Yes I am 100% Italian and went to Italian schools and universities.

If I translate that literally that would be: La risata e' bellezza..... that sounds really awkward in Italian..... We would say it this way: Ridere e' bello (which means laughing is beautiful) or if you really want to convey that concept you need to turn it around in Italian and say: La bellezza e' ridere (Beauty is laughing). It makes perfect sense in Italian and yes you need to add the articles, you cannot just give them up like in English.... Hope this helped...:)

@BrooklynDude There are some shitty shops in the city,especially the shops where they do tattoos in the back,and sell bongs,or other memorabilia up front.but you also have some of the best shops on the east coast in the city.A few tattooers from Italy that work in the city now.

https://instagram.com/larascotton

Simone Lubrani - New York Tattoo Artist - Home

Andreana@ SUPERNOVA TATTOO | Astoria New York Tattoo Shop

@BrooklynDude There are some shitty shops in the city,especially the shops where they do tattoos in the back,and sell bongs,or other memorabilia up front.but you also have some of the best shops on the east coast in the city.A few tattooers from Italy that work in the city now.

https://instagram.com/larascotton

Simone Lubrani - New York Tattoo Artist - Home

Andreana@ SUPERNOVA TATTOO | Astoria New York Tattoo Shop

Im reading about Amanda Wachob too...? Do you know her works???

• 4 months later...
@BrooklynDude spend some time looking at other styles of tattoos. When I first found LST I thought I would be relegated to some blackwork which I think can be awesome but got great advice and ended up lasering my back. Early on I thought all black and grey (which i still find very cool)but quickly saw that bold traditional or Japanese was great for longevity and really started appreciating it. Fast forward 4 1/2 yrs and I have all traditional style tattoos and I love em. I see tattoos everyday most just re affirm that I made good decisions thanks to the help here.

Thanks Scott... I have actually done a lot of research and slowly abandoned the idea of a watercolor and going more towards balck and grey style.... I want a medium to big size phoenix on my back and I can really picture in my mind a beautiful black and grey phoenix.. what do you think? the question now is... what are the best black and grey artists in NYC??