What Should I expect from my artists?

Beans

Hi everyone, I'm currently 12 days out from my first sitting for a 3/4 sleeve and Im wondering if this seems within the norm for a tattoo artists. Firstly, I LOVE my artists. Ive chosen him because of his quality of art work, style of art and 26 year of experience. I feel VERY good about my choice. My only worry, my husband also chose him for his back piece. So I went to his consultation with him on Friday and planed on seeing any progress on my drawing. However, the artists let me know that he is VERY busy (he is, it takes MONTHS and MONTHS and MONTHS to sit with him) and most likely will not start my drawing till my apt day. He did let me know that I have the entire day so we will have time to design and I can still sit for the outline with no problems.

We did talk in length about my design during my consultation and his first impressions and ideas were a perfect match with my vision. I loved his natural flow. He said it was something he would really love doing and thought it would turn out beautifully. So my question is, Is this to be expected from a busy artists? Again I TRUST him. I just want to get the best work afforded to me by his tallent.

Thanks for your advice!

I have been tattooed by a lot of different people and so the only thing I'll say with any certainty about tattoos is that everybody works differently. I will also say that the only time I've seen a drawing in advance was with my backpiece, and I know that plenty of my tattoos were drawn the night before or the day of, some right there on the spot, because that's how those artists work. I have great tattoos.

If he's going to draw for you on your appointment day, I am guessing that's how he normally structures his work flow and that all the tattoos you've seen by him that you've loved and made you want to get tattooed by this guy were done in the same way. As long as you trust the guy and you feel like you "clicked" I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Yup, @Graeme hit it right on the head. Some of my favorite tattoos were drawn right on to my skin, so obviously there's no way to see that ahead of time. The few times that I've had to book a consult ahead of time I did walk in to (mostly) completed drawings on tattoo day but other than that the people I've been tattooed by like to draw it up day of.

Seriously I had NO idea they could do that, it gives me a whole new appreciation for what they do.... I just saw a few of his new pieces and OMG. Drawing that up on the spot? Just mind blowing.....I cant wait!

Right? I always expected my artist to have it drawn up before hand, but most times he gets a quick measurement of the area, then draws it up. Probably helps that my first four were around palm sized. The only time I've seen him pre draw was for my calf sleeve, and I think the fact that I came in just to chat with him about it a few weeks prior helped, as he took the approximate measurement of the area then, and knew exactly how much space he had.

Makes me feel much better knowing all this. I read a bunch of stuff online about people taking their drawings home weeks before the sitting and putting them on the wall, to make sure they liked the design.... :rolleyes: So I wanst sure if thats generaly how it worked. Personally, Im grown and already know my mind. Though, I am giving him HUGE amounts of artistic freedom. LOL, so he's inching his way down my arm. Origionaly it was to be a 1\2 sleeve :o