Tattoo convention

xcom

So my artist today approach me and ask me if I could go to the Galveston "Texas Ink and Art" Convention and he will finish my tattoo there and if I didn't mind to submit my tattoo for the back contest.

He wanted me to think about it and go by the shop today at 9PM and talk to him about it.

I am super excited... I think I am going to do it... Just not sure how this all works... I am a bit nervous about it.

Seriously. It's all about the nudity. It is so ridiculous how some random dude dropping trou on stage steals the show. Even the nearly completely-nude chick standing in line in front of me wearing the black dental floss thong and bra was pissed. I think the judges must have been so distracted by her that they got all the scores screwed up. Caught a lucky break, didn'cha, @Cork? ;)

- - - Updated - - -

@xcom - good luck!

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/6258-tattoo-convention-contests.html

@SeeSea Haha well I was in that nudity category, so you give me too much credit. That woman in front of you though....yeah. The boots really make the outfit though. I think she won for best large piece, or best black and grey or something. I stole this pic from the Convention Facebook page.

So xcom this is a glimpse at what you'd be up against. I'd suggest entering the "large color" category. You don't have enough back to do the back, unless you've gone further down your back and I missed it.

@Cork,

Damn.. LOL tough competition for sure....

I am going whole back but after our meeting last night we wont have time to do it all. He wanted to start Friday and finish Saturday but I am not sure I want to do that due to been a long weekend and Galveston been super packed... We will meet again today and talk more. He just got back from the SA convention so he is still settling in.

He did said the exact same words as you, Maybe large color.

Thanks all for the support!

Hopefully I can take my son with me for pic taking.

@Cork - Yup, that was the girl. She took a picture up on stage with her and it had a purplish tint to it but I didn't get a good look at it. I wondered if her tattoo had some UV and she brought up a picture taken under black light. Completely speculation on my part, but I didn't understand why she carried a framed pic with her.

@Cork - Yup, that was the girl. She took a picture up on stage with her and it had a purplish tint to it but I didn't get a good look at it. I wondered if her tattoo had some UV and she brought up a picture taken under black light. Completely speculation on my part, but I didn't understand why she carried a framed pic with her.

I think that people going in for best cover up had to have a "before" picture. Maybe it was that.

Well I got back last night at 3AM. What crazy roller coaster... I didnt win not even 3rd place. I am ok with that... But what is shocking is that some serious pieces that I knew for sure had the upper hand didn't win anything... Instead it all went to this "ok" pieces... Allot of people where like WTF.... The whole thing was running behind... Judging didn't end till 11PM, I mean people was so tired, hungry, aggravated, annoyed, in pain, That they all mostly went home.. nobody stick around for the shows because it was running sooooooo behind.. My Artist was not happy about how the expo was running. For my first experience I have to say that if things run this way on all expo's... I will never go to an expo again.... My Artist assure me that its not like this other big shows... To say that I got home at 3AM... Shit I feel like I went to a fucked up concert... LOL

What was cool was (and I concider my price) the attention that my piece did bring amongst other artist and the public. :D

- - - Updated - - -

I thought this was awesome.

It won nothing..

https://instagram.com/p/1E7mnGsT9p/?taken-by=cktattoo

Also Advent Tattoo Studio & Art Gallery did won several categories and they where awesome so not all is bad. :)

Glad you got the experience, but now you see first hand how subjective tattoo judging can be. I would still say yours isn't big enough to constitute as a "back piece", but at least you got up there and got some good crowd feedback.

Glad you got the experience, but now you see first hand how subjective tattoo judging can be. I would still say yours isn't big enough to constitute as a "back piece", but at least you got up there and got some good crowd feedback.

Cork,

There was no back piece category. The category was only large color and they cram everybody in it that as per their rules qualified as "large color" piece. There was over 60 contestant easy on the large category. Allot of artist that have never attended this show was a bit shock about the rules on large color and how they didn't have allot of other categories...

Yes it was an experience for sure. Would I attend another one? Maybe not.

Though my son had a blast and he wants to go to another one :)

Some things to think about......

Would you personally rather have your back finished at a convention.....or would you feel more comfortable in your tattoo artists shop?

Is your tattoo artist paying for you to enter the contest or are you?

Is your tattoo artist knocking off the price of you getting into the convention off the tattoo price?

(in other words.....is the artist cutting you a break off the tattoo for your trouble?)

Never forget....this is your tattoo and I am sure you didn't get the tattoo to win awards but for your own pleasure of having it!

Also keep in mind that if you indeed do win an award......it is proper etiquette for you to give the award (trophy/plaque) to the tattoo artist!

Just some things to think about is all.....

Good luck with it all if you do decide to do it!

@SeeSea Haha well I was in that nudity category, so you give me too much credit. That woman in front of you though....yeah. The boots really make the outfit though. I think she won for best large piece, or best black and grey or something. I stole this pic from the Convention Facebook page.

So xcom this is a glimpse at what you'd be up against. I'd suggest entering the "large color" category. You don't have enough back to do the back, unless you've gone further down your back and I missed it.

shall I say no ass at all!

Some things to think about......

Would you personally rather have your back finished at a convention.....or would you feel more comfortable in your tattoo artists shop?

Is your tattoo artist paying for you to enter the contest or are you?

Is your tattoo artist knocking off the price of you getting into the convention off the tattoo price?

(in other words.....is the artist cutting you a break off the tattoo for your trouble?)

Never forget....this is your tattoo and I am sure you didn't get the tattoo to win awards but for your own pleasure of having it!

Also keep in mind that if you indeed do win an award......it is proper etiquette for you to give the award (trophy/plaque) to the tattoo artist!

Just some things to think about is all.....

Good luck with it all if you do decide to do it!

Thanks for your informative reply.

I did enter the contest and no I didn't get a break at all from been in the contest.... I still pay full hourly price and I pay to enter the contest... Everything posted by you crossed my head but been new to all this I didn't want to ask here or nether to the artist.... I didn't want to come across as a douch...

I understand you not wanting to seem like a douche......but never forget that the tattoo artist is being paid to do a service for you and that really is the end of it!

I think too many tattooers forget that this is a job and that if someone is going to enter a contest......especially if they the tattooer ask them too.....then maybe they should help to pay for that!

The artist benefits......not the customer.....and I think it's sad that customers worry about offending the people they are paying good money to do a service!

I mean....as long as you are tasteful in asking then there should be no reason someone should get pissy about it.....imo

If you are stoked and want to enter contests on your own then I say go for it!!!

There is nothing wrong with you wanting to show off your work and give your artist some publicity!

it's just my 2 cents is all.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I have a huge school project that I need to do. The project is about tattoos. The problem I have though is that I have to have questionnaires filled out. I have sent out roughly 100 but only two people have actually responded and I need to hand in the filled in questionnaires next week Monday. If you could please help me I would be so grateful.

There are two different surveys, the first one is for people who have tattoos, the second is for tattoo artists:

The one for people with tattoos is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6SJQLBG

The second one for tattoo artists is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6XJ9BXG

Please can you fill it out for me, it should only take 2 minutes of your time.

Hey,

I have a huge school project that I need to do. The project is about tattoos. The problem I have though is that I have to have questionnaires filled out. I have sent out roughly 100 but only two people have actually responded and I need to hand in the filled in questionnaires next week Monday. If you could please help me I would be so grateful.

There are two different surveys, the first one is for people who have tattoos, the second is for tattoo artists:

The one for people with tattoos is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6SJQLBG

The second one for tattoo artists is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6XJ9BXG

Please can you fill it out for me, it should only take 2 minutes of your time.

What grade you in?

Sounds to me like a spammer trying to collect info.