My first tattoo - go big or go home!

treeoflife

Greeting,

I am currently living in Bangkok, Thailand and have been yearning for a tattoo for years. My journey began when all I wanted was a tree on my back - the next phase was what design - hence the years its taken to decide. A friend of mine sent me a picture of a tree and the process of umming and ahhhing over the butterflies and flowers went on for ages. The day and moment of action stations came when I was sitting on the beach along the coast of Thailand. Everything is very chilled here but I was quite shocked to witness a man getting some brush ups done on his tattoo - right on the beach! Gulp! That can't be very hygienic but I inquired if they had a shop and went to check out the scene there. They looked experienced and everything looked hygienic and a well run business.

I duly turned up for the creation of my work of art - after the first hour I kindly informed the tattooist that if he didn't step back I was going to punch him. Im not a person of violence but in that moment the pain was so unbearable that I didn't trust myself - lol! Shame, in the tattooist's defense he was a little Thai man and realised that this almost 6 foot Farang meant business. The outcome of the tattoo after 2 sittings wasn't what I wanted - there was no shading but I blame myself there - he was genuinely scared of hurting me.

I returned back to Bangkok and got hold of the 'big guns' who had been referred by numerous tattoo lovers. Ten hours later, 2 sittings, pain killers and numbing cream changed my life. The numbing cream worked wonders and I left feeling empowered and proud of the art on my back.

In the past, before wanting a tattoo, I used to look down on tattoos but through this journey I have realised that it is something that is cherished, shown off and special to each individual - it sets us visually apart from anyone in the world!

post-53706-146168878768_thumb.jpg

i live in bangkok (have for over 4 years) my self at the moment and there's not that many good artists that i have seen. My friend owns a shop in thong lo thats very good and i would recommend! Most 'tattooists' here don't change there needles and use cheap ink. If your going to get any work here in the future i would recommend going to one of the famous ajarns. ajarn thoy (un nut 25) ajarn neng (bangcrak) and there's a few others. Who finished your back if you don't mind me asking?

Hi there, I got my back finished by a guy in Thong Lo. A friend of mine got his tattoos done with him so was relieved to find someone reliable :) What do you think of his work? Its my first tattoo and new to all this - how does one know if the ink is cheap?

- - - Updated - - -

Its so itchy - lol!!! Yikes - never thought it would be this itchy! Been a week yesterday when all was done. It is healing well which is great and I cant wait to hit the beach for Songkran :)

Yeh that's my friends shop od studio, by far the best in Bangkok! Some nice work comes out of that shop and they have a lot of guest artists from around the world.

Ichy...yeh I know that feeling :) I always slap them, harder to slap your back tho! If your still in the thong Lo area Friday im dj'ing on top of the Marriott hotel soi 57 (Sukhumvit) 11-2am pop up and say hello :)

Ps: I'm at the beach now (smug)

Hi @treeoflife! Congratulations on getting your back piece done! I'm in the process myself and the itch has been UNBEARABLE. I look like a psychopath when I'm healing because I'm always attempting to slap my own back and just about cry in pain over the itch. My back piece is also my first tattoo. It takes a lot of courage just to jump in like that, and with all that pain, a back piece is definitely something to cherish and show off!