Tattoo Virgin

Brittany Prentice

Hello there!

My name is Brittany and I am a 21 year old from Ontario, Canada. I currently have no tattoos, but I am currently looking to change that. I have plenty of friends with tattoos who all have different opinions so right now I'm just looking to get a well rounded idea of what I'm in for.

I have two tattoo ideas. The first is my dogs paw print on the inside of my ankle because my dog is like my child and I cannot imagine not having a piece of her with me. She truly saved my life. My second tattoo idea is admittedly a "cliche" girl tattoo but I've altered it and it's incredibly special and important to me. It's an anchor wrapped in pearls (I have PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome - and one of the characteristics is that your ovaries resemble pearls) with a teal (PCOS awareness colour) orchid (my favourite flower). I chose an anchor because it really represents the battle I've faced with my symptoms and diagnosis and how I never have let it get me down, and also a reminded to continue to keep afloat and not let it bring me down. This isn't a temporary problem, it's something I will constantly struggle with. If something beautiful can come of it then it's totally worth it.

I would like to get my anchor tattoo first, however I'm unsure where I would like it placed. Originally, I thought my wrist but I realized that going into a business profession it probably isn't the best place to put it because I will want to wear shorter sleeves in the summer if possible. Then I decided to place it on my ribs, but I know that can be a very painful place so I am considering my thigh. I've never really been a fan of thigh tattoos but the more I look at them, I can really see their beauty. I'm also not a bikini wearer, so it would give me a chance to show it off in my bathing suit if I placed it there.

I would love to hear your first tattoo experiences, as well as any input on placement for my idea! Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Welcome Brittany! I think both of those are good ideas. For placement for the anchor I think your ribs would be better than your thigh for the simple reason that thighs are a nice, big space and if you decide to get more tattoos later on, it's better to keep these big spaces for large tattoos. Ribs hurt, yes, but the pain is by no means unbearable and complaining later about how much it hurt is part of the process. Have you thought of an artist yet?

Welcome Brittany! I think both of those are good ideas. For placement for the anchor I think your ribs would be better than your thigh for the simple reason that thighs are a nice, big space and if you decide to get more tattoos later on, it's better to keep these big spaces for large tattoos. Ribs hurt, yes, but the pain is by no means unbearable and complaining later about how much it hurt is part of the process. Have you thought of an artist yet?

Great advice on the saving the thigh for something bigger, wish I had thought about this when I got my arm tattooed!

Great advice on the saving the thigh for something bigger, wish I had thought about this when I got my arm tattooed!

I got a bunch of little tattoos on my legs before I got some larger pieces and while I love my tattoos and the process of getting them, I kinda wish that I'd done it the other way around and started with the big pieces and worked smaller fillers around them. Oh well, that's tattoos.