Thigh tattoo, airline travel, playing tourist

SeeSea

I know, yet another post about traveling. I'm getting an upper thigh tattoo that I am flying cross country for. Not quite sure how big it will be, but let's say top third of my thigh from front to around the side. I plan to wait a complete day before flying back home to avoid the goop phase on the plane. During the day after the tattoo, how will walking around and doing touristy things feel? I hear much worse about calf tattoos, but I don't want to be stuck in a hotel room. Any advice? Sitting down bus tours? Walking around to keep things moving? I will probably have to book things ahead of time and looking for the best options. I'm planning to home base in San Fran for several days with a day trip to SOG. Thanks folks!

I got my calf tattooed last summer while I was on holiday and I was totally fine and still walked a lot. The biggest problem with it was that it was July in Barcelona and so I had to wear pants instead of shorts so it got a little warm but I had no problems at all with healing or mobility.

I got my thigh tattooed last September in Montreal. It was about 5 hours of shading. The next day I walked around with it wrapped in plastic and wearing jeans. No memories of pain or discomfort but I did feel a bit sluggish from a poor night of sleep.

I've done this three different ways - although all on a smaller scope than what you are talking about.

I got a baseball sized thigh tattoo the first night in Las Vegas and then proceeded to walk for miles several days afterwards. This was only my second tattoo and was the roughest heal I've had. I't hard though to know if it would have been different if I'd of taken better care of it / been more thoughtful. Also, in the end it healed fine.

I got a larger shin/calf tattoo in Chicago and flew home the next day. Walked all night with a bandage that night though. No problems.

Last I got a (smallerish) tattoo in Tokyo and flew home that night. It was a long flight but I kept it wrapped in bandages aside from one cleaning session in a family (cleaner/private) bathroom right before the flight. Flying the same day worked well actually and is worth considering at least depending on how long the session is and flight availability.

Happy traveling. I can't wait for another tattoo travel adventure- although it could be a while actually.

I got a pretty big thigh piece done on holidays in Chicago (Chris Smith) and I recall it being no problem - it's a good meaty and non-articulating place.

I also got my knee done the following year and, to be honest, even that didn't stop me walking around enjoying things. Tegaderm helped though... no leaking, no dressing moving around.

So I'd say go for it. Rule of thumb is leave it till as late in possible on the trip though.

I'm in Toronto next week and might get a walk-in but leaving it till my last day so I can still swim with my son the rest of the time.

I got my thigh tattooed last September in Montreal. It was about 5 hours of shading. The next day I walked around with it wrapped in plastic and wearing jeans. No memories of pain or discomfort but I did feel a bit sluggish from a poor night of sleep.

This is what I did when I had the fronts of both my thighs tattooed just recently and it worked a treat. I tried wet healing for two days (changing the plastic every 4-6 hours) and I found I had very minimal swelling compared to when I did the big pieces on the outside of my thighs. But I'm thinking that might be more to do with the fact I was walking around being active instead of just laying on the couch.

Thigh tattoo swelled a lot but basically didn't hurt at all while healing, no evil stabby feelings upon standing up as with the lower leg. I did an 8-hour workday standing up the day after getting it and then walked around in Boston/went to a baseball game the day after that, both days with Saniderm. Keeping the blood moving seemed to help. You will be OK, just bring loose pants in case the airplane makes the swelling worse, if you're prone to swollen legs/feet while flying...

All right, you guys are awesome as always, @Graeme, @polliwog, @marley mission, @RoryQ, @AverageJer, @BrianH and @Breakme!

Sounds like I won't die ;-) Just keep moving, not too much, dresses or loose pants, don't plan big exciting things for the morning after, and have a great time!

My trip started out as, "Fly out for a tattoo, spend a couple days with Mom." Now it's turned into, "Mom and I fly in and have a nice vacation in SF and I happen to be blasting down to SJ to get a tattoo while I am there." !

Yes, planning on getting the tattoo on a Wednesday and flying back on Friday, so we'll probably fly there the Saturday before. This would be a perfect situation to use Saniderm, but since I've never tried it before, I don't want to start with this one.

@SeeSea i spend a lot of time in coffee shops and parks when traveling for tattoos (in SF)!! the only thing i would caution is to make sure you know exactly where you're going when the tattoo is done. My post-tattoo brain gets spacier and spacier each tattoo it seems - and I have a helluva time getting anywhere. So if I don't have a set point of where I am going next, I'm in all sorts of trouble.

The other thing that throws me off when I travel for a tattoo is if an appointment is delayed or moved. No big deal for a local but if you're on a schedule it's awkward.

I've told my wife I'd done by 2pm... And turned up at 6pm.

Happens more with street shops and one shots obviously.

The most punctual set-up ever for me was, unsurprisingly, In Japan. 1030 really means 1030...

The other thing that throws me off when I travel for a tattoo is if an appointment is delayed or moved. No big deal for a local but if you're on a schedule it's awkward.

I've told my wife I'd done by 2pm... And turned up at 6pm.

Happens more with street shops and one shots obviously.

The most punctual set-up ever for me was, unsurprisingly, In Japan. 1030 really means 1030...

Yeah, I wondered about that. After all, tattooers get sick just like us mortals do. Crossing fingers that doesn't happen. But I'll still end up with a great trip with mom (but oooo don't don't like Karma do that good-thing-bad-thing deal!)

Been so long since got thighs done, the memory of what it was like afterwards has drifted into the ether :p wish you luck @SeeSea and, am sure you'll be fine. Do have some space on thigh which will eventually get filled in and there is the back of thigh that needs done too. One thing do remember, don't have sex the same day/night as new thigh tattoo (esp if front of thigh) ... it fucking hurts!

• 2 weeks later...

Even here in the area, I'll have an appointment, then do a super long walk and return to work that afternoon. Next day, no biggie to do lots of walking and things for the thigh. You'll be fine :) Loose pants/dresses/skirts, super comfy clothes are key along with using ice packs whenever possible to bring any swelling down. Have fun!!!!!!

It's back of the knee / back of the thigh but the tattoo I got yesterday (started 12 midday) was heavily wrapped... Then left like that until I was home in Dublin at 9AM today.

Think that was 11-13 hours? Time difference screwing me up.

I would have tried to wash and re-wrap it before the flight but Tim was adamant to leave it be. Must be the best wrap job I ever got.. zero leakage :0

I'm back at work now trying not to bend my leg.

Thigh tattoo swelled a lot but basically didn't hurt at all while healing, no evil stabby feelings upon standing up as with the lower leg. I did an 8-hour workday standing up the day after getting it and then walked around in Boston/went to a baseball game the day after that, both days with Saniderm. Keeping the blood moving seemed to help. You will be OK, just bring loose pants in case the airplane makes the swelling worse, if you're prone to swollen legs/feet while flying...

This is fantastic advice. My thighs swelled, but nothing remotely close to how swollen my lower leg tattoos were. I think you'll be fine.

And have a blast at SOG (one of my favorite shops) and SF (my city)!

Loose pants/dresses/skirts, super comfy clothes are key along with using ice packs whenever possible to bring any swelling down. Have fun!!!!!!

Ice packs - I have to remember to bring some zip locks for the the hotel. And maybe one of those instant ice packs you have in first aid kits. It's a long flight home. Can't wait!

It's back of the knee / back of the thigh but the tattoo I got yesterday (started 12 midday) was heavily wrapped... Then left like that until I was home in Dublin at 9AM today.

Think that was 11-13 hours? Time difference screwing me up.

I would have tried to wash and re-wrap it before the flight but Tim was adamant to leave it be. Must be the best wrap job I ever got.. zero leakage :0

I'm back at work now trying not to bend my leg.

I've left wrap on a couple times for 9 hours - very late night finish + couple hour drive home + attempt at sleep. I never had a problem with a long wrap if I was diligent with the first shower. But 13 hours and no leakage - that's a good wrap! Good luck on the straight-legging and I'll be looking for pics.

Loose clothes and take some arnica (pills, not cream) before/during/after to help reduce swelling. AND HAVE FUN!

Ah yes, arnica. Don't worry - we will have a blast! Going to Muir Woods, definitely some winery action, and probably a touristy SF tour are starters for sure. And the seafood street vendors and drinking beer out of paper bags at the waterside. :)

This is fantastic advice. My thighs swelled, but nothing remotely close to how swollen my lower leg tattoos were. I think you'll be fine.

And have a blast at SOG (one of my favorite shops) and SF (my city)!

I'll let you know when I am in town. Maybe we can meet up to say hi and meet F2F. And maybe I can see that lovely crazy dragon your daughter picked out from @cltattooing's flash sheet! :D