First Ever Consult Tomorrow

tacifone

Hey guys,

I have my first ever tattoo consult tomorrow to get my first tattoo! I am getting it done by Nik Moore from Scarab Body arts in Syracuse, NY. This might be a stupid question but is there anything in particular I should do for the consult? I am obviously going to bring pictures of what I want and references to certain pieces that are similar to what I would like to get. I contacted him and I am giving him a $100 deposit tomorrow for when I schedule my appointment date. Any input would be appreciated. I am just not sure if I am supposed to do something in particular that I wouldn't normally think of. I am nervous but at the same time am very excited to take the first step into getting my first ever tattoo!

Hello,

I am new here, but I had the same struggle :D Few days ago I went to the tattoo artist (I don't know how it is called in English, tattooer?). And on 9 of June I am going to do tattoo on my forearm :D Just relax, think what you want and bring pictures. I think all tattoo artists are honest and friendly, so you don't need to panic. I can't wait until I get my tattoo :D

P.S sorry for bad English, because it is not my native language :)

the artist may need to take a tracing for sizing, so make sure the part where you're getting tattooed is accessible... e.g... if it's on your leg calf, don't wear tight pants that you can't pull up.

know your schedule or have it available, so you for sure have the appointment open.

get there on time.

there's not much to it... depending of the complexity of the design. consults can go pretty quick... here's the space, here's the references, here's the deposit, here's the appointment card... see you then!

When I went in for my first sleeve 15 years ago, I brought a folder with about 15 photos and a list of about 10 criteria. I was a real pain I'm the ass. Now I know better.

Haha, I brought my artist a book of illustrations Ive loved for 30+ years and pointed out 3 ideas but left the entire design for my 3/4 sleeve up to him. I saw it for the first time yesterday. He damn near put the entire book in there. LOTS of line work, it's gonna be a real PITA for us both. But it's stunning and I'm already old so I'm not to concerned with its aging.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't be too picky and don't give the artist a list of 12 things you want in the tattoo. The more artistic freedom you give the happier you will be with the tattoo!

Don't know if I completely agree. Communication is important and you should ask questions. That being said. You should choose an artist based off their strengths and portfolio, and not expect too much if you want something outside their norm.

Don't be too picky and don't give the artist a list of 12 things you want in the tattoo. The more artistic freedom you give the happier you will be with the tattoo!

This is a double edged sword it seems like. For my first sleeve, I was advised by friends with great sleeves to let the artist do their thing after you give them the idea. I gave some broad general ideas and told him to just try to create a sleeve with a good flow that moves with my arm. He ended up just putting two flash tattoos that cover my entire outer and inner forearm and then he just put clouds behind it. For the longest he kept telling me its because I just need more tattoos near it to look good but I added more and it didn't. Now I have to undergo tattoo removal to fix my sleeve. It was a huge waste of money.

This is a double edged sword it seems like. For my first sleeve, I was advised by friends with great sleeves to let the artist do their thing after you give them the idea. I gave some broad general ideas and told him to just try to create a sleeve with a good flow that moves with my arm. He ended up just putting two flash tattoos that cover my entire outer and inner forearm and then he just put clouds behind it. For the longest he kept telling me its because I just need more tattoos near it to look good but I added more and it didn't. Now I have to undergo tattoo removal to fix my sleeve. It was a huge waste of money.

Man that really sucks...

Man that really sucks...

What's worst is that he actually had some really cool looking sleeves in his portfolio. For the longest time I never knew why I had to get the shit sleeve out of all of them. Which is why I'm now the guy that comes in with a ton of references because he had me convinced that I was the one that didn't give enough information.

Genuinely curious- why go ahead and let him tattoo you it if you weren't happy with what he came up with for you?

Being new to the tattoo world, I read dumb opinion articles on getting the best tattoo rather than going on a forum and reading personal experiences. A lot of articles advocated letting the artist do his thing and just give general ideas. I did that and he drew up some stuff. My reference picture was a sleeve that had tattoo built on tattoo with little negative space and clouds were fillers. He advised me to just put two big tattoos and then fill the negative space with clouds. I didn't argue because of those dumb articles always telling me to do what the artist says or you'll get a bad tattoo. When he applied the stencil and asked me how it looked, It actually looked ok. Then he started to freehand the filler and it started to turn to shit. Rather than feeling like I wasted $50 for the deposit, I went along with it. Now I know that $50 isn't shit for something permanent. It was a hard lesson.

Being new to the tattoo world, I read dumb opinion articles on getting the best tattoo rather than going on a forum and reading personal experiences. A lot of articles advocated letting the artist do his thing and just give general ideas. I did that and he drew up some stuff. My reference picture was a sleeve that had tattoo built on tattoo with little negative space and clouds were fillers. He advised me to just put two big tattoos and then fill the negative space with clouds. I didn't argue because of those dumb articles always telling me to do what the artist says or you'll get a bad tattoo. When he applied the stencil and asked me how it looked, It actually looked ok. Then he started to freehand the filler and it started to turn to shit. Rather than feeling like I wasted $50 for the deposit, I went along with it. Now I know that $50 isn't shit for something permanent. It was a hard lesson.

50 dollars... Thats it? I lost over 200 on a deposit... Well not fully lost as he will honor it when ever I would like but I consider it lost...

I will lose 1000 before I ink my skin with something or somebody that I don't like.

50 dollars... Thats it? I lost over 200 on a deposit... Well not fully lost as he will honor it when ever I would like but I consider it lost...

I will lose 1000 before I ink my skin with something or somebody that I don't like.

I kept it for two years before i started lasering it. It wasnt amateur work by any means but i like a good overall flow and for the sleeve to look great at oany angle. Unfortunately it only flowed right if my arm was placed by my side.