Show us your grapefruits.

By popular request here's the grapefruit thread. I'll post my atrocity first so nobody has to be shy about theirs sucking. This is actually my second one...the first one was a a bunch of freehand garbage and penises just for the sake of learning the machine. This one I drew a design, stenciled it on, and tried to do a good job.post-53683-146168879287_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i'm about halfway through my apprenticeship right now and have never tattooed a grapefruit or any fruit for that matter. i also haven't tattooed myself either. i've only done 18 tattoos so far but all on my friends. would not be opposed to tattooing myself or fruit, just how i'm being taught he kinda threw me right in to tattooing others first.

@chrisnoluck That's how my apprenticeship went and I actually think I'm a lot better for it. There is really nothing out there that responds to the machine like human skin does and in my opinion, a major part of pulling good lines has to do with the reverberations in the skin. I do think it's good to tattoo yourself though, you learn a lot of crucial technique from being on the giving and receiving end simultaneously. I was never told to tattoo myself actually, I just did cause I wanted to haha. My apprenticeship wasn't much by the books.