Hi What do you think of this for my first tattoo?

Ryan McGinnis

This would be first tattoo. I want it on my left shoulder going down to just below my elbow. Do you think it is too big or detailed for that location on my body? I also would like to incorporate the quote "limits like fears are often just an illusion". It is a phoenix. I want it to be black and white. No color. And how much do you think it would cost as a rough estimate?

http://mytattooartgallery.com/phoenix-bird-tattoo-symbolic-beauty/amazing-black-and-white-style-phoenix-tattoos-designs/

I wouldn't go with that exact design. You could take it to your artist as a reference, but I'm sure most artists worth their salt won't want to be aping a complex design like that altogether. They're ARTISTS; they like to make their art unique, within the realm of what the client wants of course. And there's really no way to tell how much it will be. Best bet, take this pic - and a few others - to a reputable artist. Be open to the idea of them putting their own touch on it. You can ask him what he thinks it might cost, but better to just go in prepared. Just some tips!

First please do your research on the artist. Do they have black and grey examples in their portfolios? also do be prepared to have the artist put their own touch on the piece. If I were to bring this in, I will bring a few examples of the Phoenix that I am drawn to. And maybe a few examples of what you do not like. That way the artist can work on his own unique design. Also be prepared for more than one session unless you can sit for 8 hours. I personally don't like too. As far as price goes, on larger pieces artist usually charge by the hour. no way to tell how many hours that would take.

The design is ok, but the background's similarity to the bird's design might be a bit busy for no color.

100% agree that this acting as a reference for an artist who can pull off something awesome.

Hope you're up to speed with how to pick a capable artist . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ryan.

We talked in ur introduction thread, 6 months ago.

I thought u would have got ur tat already.

But u take ur time and that's for the best.

Still, don't overthink it, just go and meet the tattoo artist of ur choice.

All those artists u found look fine, and if no one can figure which is best suited to you but urself, I like Shaun Webber's style the best.

Now regarding the phoenix u showed, don't worry that it may be too much details, the artist will make his own design anyway using ur phoenix as a reference, just like any respectable artist would do, u don't want a tattoo artist that just copies stuff, u want ur own phoenix, designed just for u.

Regarding size, it's on site that u decide, while he tells u the what and what not, and shows on a mirror the design he did on a transparent paper applied directly on ur skin.

At this stage, it will be easier to decide, and tell him it's too big or too small, too much details or not enough, and the quote should be here or there...

If it fills ur whole shoulder and arm from the tip of the collarbone down to the elbow, one color: black, I don't know about the prices in US, but here in China it would cost around 400 dollars, and will last 4 to 6 hours, after 4 hours u may want to come back later to finish, I personally can't take it more than 4 hours, and prefer to stop after 3.

U know u want this, everyone at lastsparrowtattoo knows u want this, time to make the jump :)

@Ryan McGinnis

You're almost there...the most important step to getting your first tattoo is walking into the tattoo shop, slapping down your deposit and getting your session booked!

Half sleeve, very respectable first tattoo experience. You'll need multiple sits. I would guess 2-3 depending on the design detail, tattooer speed, size and your stamina.

I would suggest you reconsider colour for your tattoo. Phoenix designs can be very colourful in the feathers. You could also do B&G for the phoenix, and colour in the flames in red-orange-yellow gradients.

I don't think you should be too married to the design (link you posted). Find a good tattooer and shop (LST will point you in the right direction). All you need to articulate is "phoenix-shoulder to elbow" and maybe a few finer details about the wings, flames, colour/B&G etc and a good tattooer will take care of you. good luck!