Large back tattoo designs - heads up

jen7

I have come to realize, after putting a large round tattoo on my back, that I have to hold my shoulders exactly how I did when the stencil was applied in order for my tattoo to look like the correct shape.

Kind of a drag.....I think I was tense when the stencil went on based on how I need to hold myself. LOL.

Heads up to those wanting round circles and straight lines over a large area of the back. Lots of movement back there and things may look wonky depending on your position at the time. More fluid lines may be best back there. This may be obvious to many of you, but it wasn't to me!

My 3rd planet sort of distorts when I am moving in certain ways.. I think is normal for round shapes to do that on specific spots. Specially where you have to adjust a circle to the flow of your body.

If I make sense :)

But I do know what you mean... :D

I am not hating on my tattoo, but it's a general tip I had not thought of.

jen i get what your saying totally - i have stuff i love but then later have questioned placement - my rib tatts only look the way they are 'intended to' if i stand a certain way - now - one could argue that certain tattoos are better than others for certain areas - but i dig em regardless - plus - i intend to be pretty well covered when all is said and done anyway - i tend to think that each tattoo helps the others to look 'better' in those instances when one or more might be distorted because of body positioning if that makes any sense

If the turtle distorts a little bit, you'll probably be the only one to notice because you're comparing it to when it's in the ideal position, which isn't something other people will be doing -- though the back of a turtle contains some pretty straight lines and a geometric pattern, in nature they're not perfectly symmetrical anyway. To me distortion is only really noticeable as a negative if an inorganic form like a dagger is on a part of the body that bends a lot.