Asking Artist about Sanitary/Sterile Practices

soraya

Thanks for the responses my question on how artists might react to questions about sanitation practices. There were some helpful responses, and unfortunately several were unhelpful.

Thanks to @cltattooing and @Hands On for helpful responses. I feel better now about asking questions now, but thanks to @cltattooing, I am going to reduce my list, and use my eyes to look around during my initial consultation. I’ll will be polite and will try not to sound like a know-it-all.

By the way, my apologies on the Hep C vaccination question. I was wrong, no such thing exists, as some of you pointed out. I was working from memory, but I rechecked my source and found that I was wrong - they were referring to Hep A & B vaccinations.

There was a “trust your artist, they know what they are doing, and you don’t” theme in some of the responses. While I understand that point, this is a health issue, with possible bad consequences and to me it is not enough to “just trust.”

Tattooists are in a service industry, and we customers need to be comfortable. I know that the best artists are maniacs about sanitation, but the customer has to feel confident too. This is a process that borders on minor surgery, yet in many locales it is unregulated, and we all know there are bad eggs out there. So I think it is fair to ask questions - politely and respectfully (thanks @cltattooing).

I work in a field (not medical) where every new client asks questions. Most are questions that I have answered a hundred times before. I keep reminding myself that they don’t know, it is all new to them, and need to feel comfortable with the situation.