Fixing slightly uneven lines?

Suiren

I would like to know what you think about some of my tattoos. They are very minimalistic and I think that is why they can really show when a line is not perfectly done.

The cross definitely looks bigger on the bottom and I was wondering if there is a way to even this out without making it much thicker? Like color shading for example?

On the eye the bottom lines are much thinner so I am thinking about having them traced again. I worry about them looking too thick after though. What would you advise?

And do you think my artist is good in general or should I look for someone else. I don't know how perfect a tattoo has to look up close. I could not even draw like that with a pencil ;)

Well his portfolio looked good but it probably did not reflect all his work. I had no idea the lines look that bad.

Any tips for recognizing a truly good artist? Since looking at portfolios can be deceiving? I don't know anyone knowledgeable enough about tattoos to get a recommendation.

If you can't judge an artist by their portfolio, you need to find people that have been tattooed by an artist. If you see people locally that have solid work, ask them where they got it. To me, that is the best way. Most portfolios are filled with fresh tattoos, in great lighting and possibly some editing. You want to see healed tattoos, in normal lighting, in real life. I also noticed that most of your tattoos are on your hands. You need to have realistic expectations for this area. Not saying that there can't be solid, consistent linework on a hand, but it's difficult skin. I have my knuckles and the side of my hand done by reputable, professional artists and they aren't perfect on close inspection. Many shops won't guarantee or do free touch-ups on hands and feet, because of the inconsistent results that those areas offer. All that said, it appears that your artist was not prepared to work on such delicate areas.

The artist is Zon at Dave's Tattoo in Frankfurt. I picked him because his delicate lettering seemed on point. I posted some of his work here too. The artist is nice, patient and really works with me and what I want. I know hands can be tricky and I don't expect perfection there. I just noticed that some lines are less perfect. I find the runes are done better overall than the wrist lines, the eye and the cross.

They offer free touch ups however.

The lines looked better right after it was done but now it seems some lines have a lot of color whereas others don't have enough.

I am planning to get bigger and more complicated work done so I think I need a new artist.

Like I said, I don't know anyone who is tattooed with flawless work, but I suppose I could ask to see if the staff has a tattoo done by the artist. I searched far and wide in my area last year and in Germany great artists are booked up until 2 years. Others sent me away because they don't do very small, simple tattoos like that (or lettering, if you want lettering you're an outcast)

I have three more tattoos done by Zon on my nape and behind the ears maybe I can get a good shot so the quality can be compared.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Straight lines leave little room for error. Going over something again has a chance of making it look like there was a second pass unless everything is thickened as you suspected, and that might not be any better. From his FB, it looks like line work isn't his where is action is. There is only one other geometric tattoo with lines like yours, and it's unfortunate IMO. Personally, I wouldn't go back for line work like this, but if there is another type of tattoo you'd like, some of his stuff looks pretty cool.

How perfect does it have to be? As perfect as you want it to be, but keep in mind these types of tattoos leave much less room for error than nice flowery or organic looking tattoos.

Artists sent you away for small "simple" tattoos? Sheesh. Like your money isn't good enough? My first tattoo was small and took maybe 15 minutes. I had to pay the minimum which was higher than the amount of time it took to get the tattoo. Big deal. Maybe they recognize that lines and lettering aren't that easy and are hiding behind that as an excuse.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, just sharing the content of other discussions about tattoos like these. As my buddy @marley mission would say - they are great, embrace them, own them, and go get more tattoos!

---

Here is the thread @Fala referred to: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/2396-what-makes-good-tattoo.html

@SeeSea couldn't have said it better!

To be honest I am surprise that line work is not his forte... His FB shows some good work.

I thought that one of the first things you have to master while learning the trade is to do lines...

But I could be wrong... Ask Ink Masters! LOL so much fucked up shit in there... lol...

See Sea / X com

I don't feel too bad about them. I'll be okay if some of the lines are fixed at bit as in filling a gap. Tattoos are something "handmade" ...so a perfectionist can always find a flaw. They do look a bit netyer from a distance. The runes were fixed once by Zon and they do look a bit better now.

But I think I won't go back for my next tattoos. My future plans include lettering and some delicate florals where the lines should not be inconsistent. To me it seems sometimes he tattoos very deeply, so much that the skin is raised for months, and on the same tattoo he will tattoo very lightly in some spots so color is lacking.

And yes, I have made bad experiences here with some artists and also German tattoo communities. It seems minimalistic, small girly and mainstream tattoos are frowned upon. Someone said it insults the artist even.

I will keep looking for artists in the area. I attached images of my other tattoos. The tree, sun and moon where also done by Zon (I went there twice but I feel the second time he messed up more).

The Kanji was my first tattoo done by Tattoos by Richie in Friedberg. It was horribly scarred, crooked and lots of color was missing so I got it redone in 2007 by the owner of Körperkult Tattoo in Bad Homburg. He is said to be one of the best and booked until a galf year from now or more...but I imagine it could have been done better?

Someone told me Kartell in Frankfurt does good tattoos. I got many piercings there so maybe I should pay them a visit and ask a few tattoo questions...might get a new piercing anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot the pics

If I may... hand tattoos require someone who is skilled with this area of the body. I can think of a small number of tattoo artists who I'd trust with tattooing my hands. In other words, don't let just anyone tattoo you - doesn't matter what people say. If I listened to what people (non-trusted LSTers) said to me about "great artists", whooeee, I'd be a mess. This forum has a preference for Traditional and Japanese tattooing, be mindful of this whilst here.

Take your time to learn to identify what good linework and tattooing is - there is a huge difference between a fresh tattoo and a healed tattoo. You should be looking at a tattoo artist's portfolio and checking out what the healed tattoos look like. Healed tattoos, to me, indicate repeat business or that the person who got the tattoo wanted to show the tattoo artist how much they loved it.

Big tattoos can be girly too. Tattoos don't have to be small and with fine lines in order to be feminine. The smaller and more delicate the work, the more skilled the person doing it should be in my opinion. You (and others here) may feel differently, and that's fine. Squirming while getting tattooed can also result in messed up lines. Even so, no matter the tattoo, go to the best of the best.

Is going to Amsterdam an option for you? There are lots of great tattooers in Amsterdam.

Hmmm...I don't have a car but I would have to see how much a bus ticket to Amsterdam is.

I know big tattoos can be girly too and I dream of watercolor florals on my whole back ;) I just meant to say I started out with small "and" girly ones. I will see if I can find healed tattoos in an artists portfolio. It really is a big difference.

I wasn't squirming since the tattoos were surprisingly pain free but I agree that it makes sense that an artist needs to be very skilled for fine line tattoos. I just thought, judging from Zon's other work, he could do better lines. Learned something new.

Question: How would everyone recommend I get these touched up? Will tracing the lines carefully improve the look some? I was thinking once I find an artist that does great lines I could ask to have the lines fixed a little too.

I think they look like "hand poked" tattoos, which are their own style, and are kind of a big thing right now. I would not change them. They're kind of charming if you look at them in that light.

Some day, you may decide to get your hands tattooed. These little designs should not be too much trouble to cover up as they are now. I'm afraid if you try to go in over the same lines, you'll get scars that will be harder to cover.

Unless they are really driving you crazy every day and you hate them, I'd concentrate on getting more tattoos in other places. Experiment with different artists if you'd like. You don't sound satisfied with your prior experiences. It should be fun and you should come out with an end product that makes you happy to look at.

There are probably some line issues with this bird tattoo. I know there is a perspective issue with the french fry. It also rides a little too far back on my leg. Can I pick it apart? Yeah. Do I love it? Yeah! It makes me laugh, and I like showing it to other people and havning them laugh too. image_120225_thumb.jpg

Rather than obsess over the minute details of these tiny tattoos you have now, why not get just get more tattoos? I have some script on my arms that isn't as clean or even as I might it to be now, but rather than try to re-work the existing stuff I figure I'll just get cool tattoos around them! Nothing's perfect, but focusing on getting better tattoos is, in my mind, a better use of time and skin than seeking out a way to marginally improve a tattoo that you otherwise like.

I was getting tattooed some time last year and I overheard another artist talking a client out of covering a tattoo and instead getting a better one next to it so the one could make fun of the other. I think that about sums it up.

Yep - just focus on getting tattooed elsewhere and let this go for a bit. Focus on finding a great artist for your next tattoo, then if (say 1 or 2 years goes by, after getting a couple or more tattoos done) you decide you must get the existing ones fixed, you'll already have a relationship established with a great artist.

Perhaps you could go to Belgium? It is closer than Amsterdam. Calypso Tattoo is there, and is a start for you to begin your search.

I see about fixing them...I was under the impression it is recommended. I was told to come back to fill in gaps if necessary so I had a bit of color added to the runes. But I would not want the lines to get to bold or cause scarring so I will leave it for now. :)

Fala

True ist would be best to have a great artist do the fixing if I decide to get it done. I find the search quite tiring. So many here seem to do mediocre work and NO ONE has any finely lined work, geometric tattoos, watercolor or line work tattoos in their online portfolio...:confused:

Belgium is a bit higher up so it might be further from me here (Frankfurt) but I will have to see about the bus lines. :)

El twe, tornado6

They don't bother me too much. I guess my problem lies mostly with the wrist tattoo because the line has a few gaps and the bottom of the cross. The rest isn't too obvious. I drew the wrist tattoo myself because this alchemical formula does not exist as a tattoo stencil...or the triangle connected to it...so maybe it looks more handpoked because of it.

It really isn't too bad that these are not perfect, but for the things I have planned in the future I'd definitely want someone that does more consistent lines....no raised sections etc.

My first tattoo the Kanji and it was raised and scarred for many years. Can't get any worse than that ;)

@Suiren - i love your tree :) I think it settled nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

There are probably some line issues with this bird tattoo. I know there is a perspective issue with the french fry. It also rides a little too far back on my leg. Can I pick it apart? Yeah. Do I love it? Yeah! It makes me laugh, and I like showing it to other people and havning them laugh too. image_120225_thumb.jpg

Are you kidding?!? I LOVE your french-fry bird!

Part of me wants to jump in and automatically say that i'd find a new artist (not to say that I wouldn't) but that area of the body can be pretty hard to get used to tattooing from my understanding. My wife has two hand tattoos. Line work wasn't difficult for the artist to get down, but getting the color to stick was. But based off the line work and such alone for these, I would probably start searching around for a new artist, myself. I like the ideas, though.

Part of me wants to jump in and automatically say that i'd find a new artist (not to say that I wouldn't) but that area of the body can be pretty hard to get used to tattooing from my understanding. My wife has two hand tattoos. Line work wasn't difficult for the artist to get down, but getting the color to stick was. But based off the line work and such alone for these, I would probably start searching around for a new artist, myself. I like the ideas, though.

Thank you! I definitely will try to find someone else. The lines on my wrist aren't any better either...or maybe even the most scraggly.

I posted pictures of the fresh vs. the healed tattoos here. They did look a bit better when freshly done. Especially the eye.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/blogs/suiren/415-symboldictionary.html

And here they are "worn", from a distance they don't look too shabby (and with lotion and all ;)

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/blogs/suiren/416-my-small-tattoos-fashion-photography.html

I also got a recommendation for a tattoo artist nearby in Wiesbaden for lines, lettering, waterolor, delicate stuff. I think his work isn't bad but I see it with the eyes of someone unexperienced. I may be overlooking problems:

Paztattoo Wiesbaden: Galerie Haut - Hautkunst

From Argentina, trained in Miami.