Trendy or against trends?

Suiren

Something my father said made me wonder about if tattoos (or piercings) are generally seen as trendy or the opposite by people around you?

My feeling was that having more than one is generally going against the mainstream. Most people still don't prefer to have tattoos or more obvious piercings (face), so I'd say it is not exactly trendy.

BUT, when I got a few more tattoos and another lip piercing recently (so 5 facial piercings), my father exclaimed that I'm just "following trends" and will regret it in a few years when it is out of fashion:confused:...

He said that to a 32 year old woman who has been committed to body modification since her teens, never retired a single piercing, keeps adding new ones and got her first tattoo 11 years ago. ( I should also mention I listen to Metal and Goth Music, dress weird, like occultism, I knit, I sew, do Medieval Reenactment...really not that much of a mainstream person. I really, really wonder why my parents feel that way.)

So how is everyone else generally perceived? Trendy or against the mainstream? And who tells you this.

What is your personal take? I can see how tattoos or piercings can be a trend but I think most really get it not caring about trends at all.

I remember when I was a teenager and my parents insisted I was going through a "phase"...I probably have an embarassing notebook of tattoo doodles I was going to get once I was 18 (a whole lot of nautical stars and metalcore quotes, most likely). I don't get a lot of those comments anymore from anyone around me. I think people understand this is what I am, this is what I like, and it's been that way ever since I first learned what tattoos and piercings were and while my interests might continue to shift from those early plans, it's never going to completely go away.

I think sometimes people say someone is being trendy maybe because you're coming off as wishy-washy or indecisive. The more dedicated you seem to be, no matter what kind of tattoo style or modification you're into, I think the more people will realize how serious you are. Sometimes it takes a while for people to realize your commitment. And with parents, I think a lot of the time they HOPE it's a trend because they don't want you to go through with what you're planning. :rolleyes:

I think this whole thing of kids getting their first tattoo on their neck, or getting a hand tattoo when their arms are bare is part of a larger instant gratification trend. But that's still very much anti-mainstream in the sense that they're "job killers," these people (probably) won't be going on to become a lawyer and have 2.5 kids and a white picket fence. So I think there's trends within tattooing that aren't necessary the same trends found in society as a whole, your definition of a trend depends on which side you're looking from.

Tattoos are definitely more popular and mainstream than they have ever been, but remember that people have been getting tattooed since the dawn of homo sapien.

My parents used to say similar things, but then you realize that when people pass judgement or ridicule upon your appearance, it's usually because you are making them confront their conditioned opinions and they don't know how to deal with that internally so they project it into you instead because you have become a symbol for that. Also when you understand that, it makes that sort of bullshit a lot easier to deal with because it's not actually about you.

If it really does bother you that he's saying that stuff, hopefully you can ask him to be more respectful about it because even if he is right it still sucks to hear and doesn't contribute anything positive to your relationship, especially when it is a parent! Good luck :)

i would say the trendy side is the tattoo's people get, all the people getting the silhouettes of the birds and every one wanting mandallas, or getting thai unaloms and calling them spirals haha and getting them upside down. just like the tribal in the late 90's early 2000's or the celtic bands. Or my most hated tattoo of all ,the massive wall of text people seems to get with some bs quote or bible passage. People get the tattoo they deserve :D

I think it's just a dig. They know that you are not mainstream so maybe they hope you'll stop getting tattooed or pierced if they use reverse psychology on you and call it trendy... I think my mom tried that too. Didn't work, I still like tattoos no matter what people who don't like them say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've seen, this trend started about 25(!) years ago with all of the tribal stuff and is still going strong. The tattoist that did most of my work says there's no sign it's going to let up. I think it's just a part of society. The types of tattoos you get could be trendy, and will look dated a few years from now, but that's just how life is...younger people that are image/fashion conscious will always invent new stuff to be different than older folks.

Tattoos are definitely more popular and mainstream than they have ever been, but remember that people have been getting tattooed since the dawn of homo sapien.

My parents used to say similar things, but then you realize that when people pass judgement or ridicule upon your appearance, it's usually because you are making them confront their conditioned opinions and they don't know how to deal with that internally so they project it into you instead because you have become a symbol for that. Also when you understand that, it makes that sort of bullshit a lot easier to deal with because it's not actually about you.

If it really does bother you that he's saying that stuff, hopefully you can ask him to be more respectful about it because even if he is right it still sucks to hear and doesn't contribute anything positive to your relationship, especially when it is a parent! Good luck :)

I don't mind them saying this much ^^. It just surprises me. But you are right they are being confronted with my choices. It is a bit annoying though when they keep saying "you will NEVER stop"...:p

They complain about my clothing all day long too (why do you always wear dresses). I shrug it off.

I think it's just a dig. They know that you are not mainstream so maybe they hope you'll stop getting tattooed or pierced if they use reverse psychology on you and call it trendy... I think my mom tried that too. Didn't work, I still like tattoos no matter what people who don't like them say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha good thought. Maybe it really is reverse psychology. My first facial piercing was a nostril piercing and my father kept saying how ugly it is. He said the same thing about my Goth clothing many many years ago. In a way my parents are more accepting now lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember when I was a teenager and my parents insisted I was going through a "phase"...I probably have an embarassing notebook of tattoo doodles I was going to get once I was 18 (a whole lot of nautical stars and metalcore quotes, most likely). I don't get a lot of those comments anymore from anyone around me. I think people understand this is what I am, this is what I like, and it's been that way ever since I first learned what tattoos and piercings were and while my interests might continue to shift from those early plans, it's never going to completely go away.

I think sometimes people say someone is being trendy maybe because you're coming off as wishy-washy or indecisive. The more dedicated you seem to be, no matter what kind of tattoo style or modification you're into, I think the more people will realize how serious you are. Sometimes it takes a while for people to realize your commitment. And with parents, I think a lot of the time they HOPE it's a trend because they don't want you to go through with what you're planning. :rolleyes:

I think this whole thing of kids getting their first tattoo on their neck, or getting a hand tattoo when their arms are bare is part of a larger instant gratification trend. But that's still very much anti-mainstream in the sense that they're "job killers," these people (probably) won't be going on to become a lawyer and have 2.5 kids and a white picket fence. So I think there's trends within tattooing that aren't necessary the same trends found in society as a whole, your definition of a trend depends on which side you're looking from.

Oh haha...I have hand tattoos and mostly bare arms too. The planned arm projects will be bigger and I need to save up for it. So I started out with hands and wrist ;). And they were some of my favorite areas.

But I suppose my tattoos are not trendy enough for the trendsetters either. No exploiting birds or wrist tattoos reading "faith" :-)

My early tattoo plans definitely included a tribal at the lower back but when they became trendy I switched to something Asian. Then Asian became trendy so I decided to get only one kanji (part of my name, I'm part Japanese) and ignore the trends.

I think trends can inspire, as in give me new ideas but I definitely would not get something just for the trend.

I doubt I come across as unsure. I see myself as the opposite, but maybe my parents disagree hahaha...

It probably depends on where you live. One barrier I had when getting my first tattoo was that where I live, Minneapolis, I was some what worried that I would just be another guy with a tattoo. It seems like more people than not under 40 (which I am not) have them. I'm over it of course and love my tattoos but I do have to accept that some people figure I'm just another hipster.

I definitely agree that it is sort of "wishful thinking" or reverse psychology. My parents used this on me, and now, at 49, I think my mother realizes that I am who I am and it was never a phase, lol.

Parents have an idea of what their kids are going to be like, or turn out like, and when kids don't fit that image they tell themselves it is just temporary, and they'll get themselves together.

I have kids, ages 22 and 14, and I am, instead, working very hard NOT to do that, and to just enjoy them as they develop, letting them be what they want to be. It isn't easy, though, even having suffered from it by my own parents!

trend? no trend? if this is a factor in getting tattoos...you're doing it wrong

True. I hope you understand that wasn't my question though or referring to me ^^

- - - Updated - - -

I definitely agree that it is sort of "wishful thinking" or reverse psychology. My parents used this on me, and now, at 49, I think my mother realizes that I am who I am and it was never a phase, lol.

Parents have an idea of what their kids are going to be like, or turn out like, and when kids don't fit that image they tell themselves it is just temporary, and they'll get themselves together.

I have kids, ages 22 and 14, and I am, instead, working very hard NOT to do that, and to just enjoy them as they develop, letting them be what they want to be. It isn't easy, though, even having suffered from it by my own parents!

My parents got more accepting over time I'd say. It is great you are trying to do it different!

True. I hope you understand that wasn't my question though or referring to me ^^

- - - Updated - - -

My parents got more accepting over time I'd say. It is great you are trying to do it different!

I think people without tattoos might assume getting tattooed these days is simply a trend, as a way to explain its popularity, but I definitely am not a follower of trends and have simply come to a point in my life (middle age) where tattoos are more meaningful to me and I love the art of them, and the way I can express myself through them, plus I'm less concerned about public perception (getting employed, looking "professional", etc). Also it is easier now to find amazing artists than it used to be because of social media and the internet.

As for parenting, I'm realizing now, after having my own kids, what kinds of things affected my parents and how I was raised, and I'm cutting them a bit more slack! I can see how hard it is to relax and allow kids to become who they are, and how anxious you can get over your kids not making the same mistakes you did, etc. My mother and I will never be on the same page, but now I realize she can't help it, lol, and she's learned to just accept me for me.

I have a pair of Hammer pants for lounging haha...

yeah just chiming in - hope no offense was taken - i always appreciate some good dialogue

Oh no, just wasn't sure if it was a misunderstanding :)

I think people without tattoos might assume getting tattooed these days is simply a trend, as a way to explain its popularity, but I definitely am not a follower of trends and have simply come to a point in my life (middle age) where tattoos are more meaningful to me and I love the art of them, and the way I can express myself through them, plus I'm less concerned about public perception (getting employed, looking "professional", etc). Also it is easier now to find amazing artists than it used to be because of social media and the internet.

As for parenting, I'm realizing now, after having my own kids, what kinds of things affected my parents and how I was raised, and I'm cutting them a bit more slack! I can see how hard it is to relax and allow kids to become who they are, and how anxious you can get over your kids not making the same mistakes you did, etc. My mother and I will never be on the same page, but now I realize she can't help it, lol, and she's learned to just accept me for me.

I felt similar. When I was young I did not get tattoos becausr of things like work, relationships, and not knowing what design would really hold enough meaning for a lifetime. Now that I am older (and my life has been very eventful) I can think of a million things that have a deep meaning and am generally more sure of the art and committing. It is a process, with every piercing and every tattoo I felt more sure I want to keep going.

Unlike a fad. I imagine some will get a tattoo without thinking, tire of it and move on. I know so many who got one or two trend tattoos or piercings and then nothing ever again. Piercings usually get ret retired.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a tattoo trend now that will be the equivalent of the tribals of the 90s? Is it possible to predict?

Lettering maybe? It seems like the most common trend because it is neutral, can have a customized meaning...not too much of a commitment?

Last night I was on the phone with my mother and I told her that I had started on my left arm sleeve. I only have one other tattoo and that's at least 10 years old. She sighed, then asked, "do you feel like you're getting older?". I laughed, thinking she meant mid-life crisis (I'm 48), but after reading this thread, maybe she also meant that she thought tattoos were for the young and trendy, something she thought I'd grown out of since I went so long before adding another.