Trendy or against trends?

Suiren

When I began looking for my first - have had it about 4 months now - I searched for images that appealed to me and reflected my personality. As it turned out, the one I chose had some tribal lines along with the wolf head. I had not idea that tribal was "out" and, honestly, even when someone commented on it when I first posted a picture in a tattoo forum, I don't care if others find it outdated. I'm not trying to please anyone else - I selected it and got it for me. So, from my perspective, what is trendy or fashionable is unimportant to me. If you like it - go for it.

412643931.jpg

Pretty much.

One of the tattooers in a shop I was in was cracking jokes about girls who come in to get mandalas (not in any particularly cruel way, just in the sense that a certain kind of customer seems to inevitably want mandalas), but I don't think this would stop me from getting one. I'd still totally get a mandala tattoo. They're beautiful! IDGAF, haha.

Tattooing doesn't have a long history of catering to a crowd that cares much what other people think. Seems like most people who get tattooed have to some degree or other already said their goodbyes to that. (I mean, it would probably hurt my feelings if somebody said nasty things about one of my tattoos, but that would be more about somebody being a dick to me than anything else!)

edit: Apparently I've already posted this?? HAHAHA

At least I'm consistent. :p

Edited by sophistre

7 minutes ago, sophistre said:

One of the tattooers in a shop I was in was cracking jokes about girls who come in to get mandalas (not in any particularly cruel way, just in the sense that a certain kind of customer seems to inevitably want mandalas), but I don't think this would stop me from getting one. I'd still totally get a mandala tattoo. They're beautiful! IDGAF, haha.

I was in a shop recently that was having a flash day. One poor soul had drawn up a couple mandalas and did pretty much nothing but those for the first few hours of the day, so he finally stuck up a piece of paper that said "sold out" over the most popular one. :8_laughing:

I think mandalas are trendy now, but they're a pretty harmless trend, I think they'll age well and look timeless (for the most part). I get a little tired seeing them popping up on Instagram and Facebook all the time, but I don't think too many people will be really ashamed of them in the future. It's still better than upside down scribbles on your fingers or whatever.

• 3 months later...

Trend or no trend, if you like something get it. I do.

Labels are not the thing, they are just labels. 

Collecting Tattoos is like collecting art for your walls, except it is pretty permanent. As you change as a person, your tattoos remain constant though your relationship to those tattoos may change over time, your original reason for getting it may fade but a new appreciation will develop. Getting tattoos is more than just in the moment art, they are a permanent human connection with the applicator, which no other art form contemplates or appreciates, in such a direct way...

I recommend to forget labels and just get a collection of tattoo art for you that makes you happy...that way you win in the endeavour, after all, you have to live with it.

As a newbie, and an over 60 one at that, I appreciate this. As I looked for my first tattoo, I wanted something that had meaning to me - did the same with my second, too - and ended up falling in love with a wolf head that had tribal lines associated with it. It spoke to me and what I wanted it to say for me - and had it done. This first picture posted on another web site got responses of "dated" "hello 90's" etc. I was initially taken back a bit...and then just let it roll off my back. What I get is about me - not anyone else.

• 2 months later...
On October 10, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Devious6 said:

As a newbie, and an over 60 one at that, I appreciate this. As I looked for my first tattoo, I wanted something that had meaning to me - did the same with my second, too - and ended up falling in love with a wolf head that had tribal lines associated with it. It spoke to me and what I wanted it to say for me - and had it done. This first picture posted on another web site got responses of "dated" "hello 90's" etc. I was initially taken back a bit...and then just let it roll off my back. What I get is about me - not anyone else.

Making unsolicited negative comments about someone's tattoo shows a total lack of class.

Tribal is coming back so you're ahead of the trend. I predict chrome panthers will be big in 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every style has a cycle and eventually pops up again as popular. Look at the old Sailor Jerry artwork, it was hot at the time and has made a good resurgence. Old school tattoos are now popular. I just saw a book my artist has at her shop. Traditional American eagles, old designs but crisp new artwork... now I want something out of the book. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a middle aged man but I like more feminine designs. I like nature designs also. So I'm well into a colourful critters and flowers full sleeve.

I love to admire it looking in the mirror. 

Now that there is a lot of excellent black and grey work being done right now I'm sure I'm not following any trend. But it doesn't matter I love my ink!

Edited by Paulus

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I am a history buff and a bit of a rebel from way back. Went against the current tide and got a Confederate flag.  It  does not show it under a short sleeve shirt. Some of my ink is for me and no one else.

On the other hand...if my dragon half sleeve peaks out from my shirt I have great pride and will give you my artist card.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...