Old tattoo getting mushy, a few questions

Suiren

I have two older tattoos that are starting to look changed. The oldest one I already got touched up once in 2007 and it seems to actually fade less. The addition to it that I got in 2007 seems to lose color and the lines are blurry.

The tattoos are on my lower back and not exposed to a lot of light, I wear sunscreen and I use coconut oil for moisturizing. If there is anything else I can do let me know.

Is there a reason these are turning into mush now or is it normal after 8-10 years? I have no idea how tattoos are supposed to look after that much time ;).

How often can they be touched up? I don't feel I need a touch up right this second but maybe in the future (or having this worked into another design). The Kanji lines are almost connecting.

I'm also curious if the tattoo artist's skill determines how well a tattoo ages?

The Kanji was not done well btw. so the artist that did the butterflys tried to fix it up as much as possible.

Images show tattoo on the first day 2007 (don't have a better pic sorry), a close up and a normal shot now.

thats why bigger is better

but i think your tatt looks to be aging fine

get more tatts and leave this one be

oh - and go bigger

I am planning to get something large (floral) on my back when I have the money so this will likely be worked into the new design. The Lanji measures a bit over 2 inches and a butterfly 1 1/2 inches. Most of my tattoos are fairly small tbh, but very simple designs. I wonder how they will age. There is more room between the lines though than with the Kanji, the first guy messed up big time there. Much thicker lines and less space than the original.

things happen to tattoos as they age - hey - we age too lol - as does our skin

you know though - i like that

its why - imo - you need a bit of sense of humor if you start getting tattooed alot

because things happen

i see alot of anxiety on this board with regards to topics like this

dont get me wrong - totally fine topic

what i mean is that people have expectations about their tattoos that arent realistic

its art on skin that really never stops changing from the moment its on you

its like you gotta embrace the imperfection of it all if you're ever gonna really enjoy it - ya know?

anyway - love that tatt - but leave it alone - and get more tatts!

things happen to tattoos as they age - hey - we age too lol - as does ....

Oh yeah, I don't mind a little aging. It is totally fine now, but I was thinking a touch up is a normal thing. At least one tattoo artist told me tattoos need to be redone once in a while.

I guess I would just not want it to completely fade...I have seen some that were not recognizable. ^^

For now I think my time and money is better invested in new tattoos. Idk when skin starts aging tattoo wise but I'm in my 30's so I expect I will see signs soon.

And thank you! This tattoo is not usually liked all that much!

It's your tattoo, who cares who likes it. I agree, it looks fine to me. We all age, as does the art. I find it better to embrace our aging selves. If your lucky they will fade and blurr into nothing. A good sign of a life well lived. :)

My grandfather's WW1 cupie doll was still distinct in the early 80's. So, it might just last better than you think.

I guess there is no way of knowing really. When I got it done the artist said he is using a new black ink that lasts longer and stays black longer...so maybe this tattoo will really surprise me.

The best your tattoos will ever look, is right after they are done. I am not a big fan of artist posting fresh tattoos, because they can look completely different in a month.

I could not disagree more with this. I was talking with one guy who tattooed me about this kind of thing and he said that he doesn't consider a fresh tattoo to even be a tattoo yet. It needs to heal and settle in before it is really a tattoo. I completely agree with him. I'd also say that a tattoo that doesn't look better settled in and with some life on it is a crappy tattoo.

The best your tattoos will ever look, is right after they are done. I am not a big fan of artist posting fresh tattoos, because they can look completely different in a month.

I completely disagree.

A common misconception is a fresh tattoo, right after the machine gets set down, is when a tattoo looks it's best.

Truly, a tattoo looks better as it has aged and the ink particles have settled into the skin and smoothed out. It is a big part of tattoo composition to understand how to design the lines, use negative space and contrast to make a tattoo readable for many years to come. If a tattoo image has deteriorated only after a couple of years, it was not designed or applied properly. My $0.02

- - - Updated - - -

haha @Graeme beat me to the punch!

Agree with @Graeme and @bongsau - my tattoos have looked better as time has passed. With one of them, I was told, "this will look even better in ten years". If one year passing has given me a glimpse of what will happen over ten years' time, I am more than happy with this planning and transformation. For me, I don't really like the look of a brand new tattoo - I can't wait to see it after it has settled and meshed with the body.

All tattoos are totally bitchin' for the 1st month.. then the decline starts. Unless you're an albino and never see the sun.

I had one done in 1978 redone and expanded on in 2008, looks 110% fresh. I had some work done around it this year, the artist touched up some of the colors that the sun pulls out of me (red, yellow, orange). Looks great again and nobody believes the OG ones were done 35-37 years ago.

So with a little creativity and a good artist, there is hope for older tattoo work. The sun is the worst enemy of tattoo work.

If faded mean better, then to each their own. I could see this logic with black and white tattoos, but for color most people would consider brighter and vivid to be better. At least for me, I have yet to see any before and after tattoo pic comparing fresh to healed in the same lighting that look better healed. I would love to see that if someone can past some pictures.