collecting tattoo machines.

xcom

To: @DavidR, @cltattooing, @jen7, @bongsau, and @Abellve. Thank you for all ya'lls reply.

I am around. This thread got to me a bit and I just need to sit back drink a beer and relax for bit.

Thank you gals/guys. @jen7, Engineering background (By trade) here as well. Metals/Engines/Electronics just fascinate me! The knowing of how it all works.

like the kid in junior high who built one out of a bic pen tube and a walkman motor ;)

Junior high? Adults do that where I'm from. ;)

I have no doubt we could build one of these fairly simple machines. We built the FI system for our race car... I know more about tuning the race car than tuning the machine, but I'm sure we could make one buzz.

I also am not sure collecting very old memorabilia from the early part of the last century is disrespectful to the craft. What if you wanted an Edison Autographic Printing Pen? Is that really bad?

One thing I've learned at LST, if you aren't sure whether you should ask a question about the industry insofar as how to break into it, buying inks/machines/etc, or any other hair-brained questions that can be thunk up: just don't. Think before you ask, if it revolves around the industry, if you wouldn't ask your tattooer and be met with a reasonable response, you don't ask it here. Period. Don't be a smart ass, or think you're trying to shake things up and break the mold, or turn into a lawyer who minces words and parries with semantics.

I am here because I want to share with others my love of getting tattooed, and talk about the history and culture of it. I'm NOT here because I want to talk about how to acquire the tools of the trade without actually being in the trade. It isn't my business to do so, nor do I think it is anyone's who is not a tattooer.

One thing I've learned at LST, if you aren't sure whether you should ask a question about the industry insofar as how to break into it, buying inks/machines/etc, or any other hair-brained questions that can be thunk up: just don't. Think before you ask, if it revolves around the industry, if you wouldn't ask your tattooer and be met with a reasonable response, you don't ask it here. Period. Don't be a smart ass, or think your trying to shake things up and break the mold, or turn into a lawyer who minces words and parries with semantics.

I am here because I want to share with others my love of getting tattooed, and talk about the history and culture of it. I'm NOT here because I want to talk about how to acquire the tools of the trade without actually being in the trade. It isn't my business to do so, nor do I think it is anyone's who is not a tattooer.

well said

No blah blah blah. I live on Long Island and work in NYC. For every reputable shop I can name I drive past a dozen barbershop/ tattoo spots, hole in the wall with 2 guys who will do flash for $25, or friend that knows a dude who tattoos out of a fire station (they now have a shop). I feel like scratchers are misrepresented as people that only do shit work learned from a YouTube video out of their kitchen when I see all these "legit" shops that will mess you up. And the uninformed masses go to these shops.

Hell even a shop I was considering has some very questionable artists and it freaks me out even though I trust the guy I wanted work from.

Even Bili Vegas tattoos in my home town and that's considered "high end." He was in the bottom of ink master until he got booted.

Tattoo artists are like mechanics. They are everywhere, but I will only go to a select few I trust.

So if I said that the proportions on that skull on the foot look off to me especially the tiny teeth and small forehead Would that suffice?

I think people do get the tattoos they deserve, but I also feel there is a bit of false advertising in the business that is difficult to separate if you aren't super into the culture.

I like most styles of tattoo. Honestly, only style that I wouldn't wear is tribal work.

There is a user on here that is pretty much suited in gorgeous black and grey realism work (forgive me I forget his name) that gets a lot of positive feedback from most users.

one of my favorite posters around here (not naming names lol) has a back piece of of underwater images that she took while on dives. I don't think it fits specifically into a single category and it is very nice.

Can I ask what is your bias with American Traditional? Honestly, this whole industry is steeped in history and respect for prior generations. It is one of the few remaining apprentice/ master crafts out there, and there is immense "lore" behind so much of the images that we know of that became staples. I am at a loss with how anyone can be so into tattoos without appreciating these sides of it. Help me see your side of it.

And just a comment about japanese/ american traditional. The bold outlines involved in both styles don't let you hide your mistakes as easily as in a big black foot skull with a twohead and infant teeth ;)

I don't hate traditional. My mentor just made me trace and paint an entire Sailor Jerry flash book. I have a two traditional tattoos on me - a beer bottle and an espresso cup. I just feel that this place is heavily biased toward traditional and Japanese. I love Japanese though and my mentor has me drawing and painting a lot of Japanese stuff. For me its all about full coverage and progression, and traditional doesn't achieve that. As a collector for the last 15 years, its become pretty clear to me that traditional is the fallback option. Yeah its hard to do, but its a TRADE not an art. Anyone with dedication and perseverance can do good traditional tattoos.

PS I've got 4 shots of tequila in me right now ;-)

ok, sounds fair. I guess I am one of the guys that sees artistry in a lot of things. I also lean towards heavy coverage which makes getting small work so tough for me because I want to get entire limbs done cohesively

I'm a bourbon guy myself.... just sayin knob creek and some ice is good right now.

I don't hate traditional. My mentor just made me trace and paint an entire Sailor Jerry flash book. I have a two traditional tattoos on me - a beer bottle and an espresso cup. I just feel that this place is heavily biased toward traditional and Japanese. I love Japanese though and my mentor has me drawing and painting a lot of Japanese stuff. For me its all about full coverage and progression, and traditional doesn't achieve that. As a collector for the last 15 years, its become pretty clear to me that traditional is the fallback option. Yeah its hard to do, but its a TRADE not an art. Anyone with dedication and perseverance can do good traditional tattoos.

PS I've got 4 shots of tequila in me right now ;-)

haha i wanna see that espresso cup

rad i like your art i see on the IG - to me def has a traditional flavor

anyway - to each their own

i def sense a group hug coming