collecting tattoo machines.

xcom

So I am a metal junkie... I collect guns, flash lights, knifes, and about anything that is EDC...

I been very intrigue about the look of tattoo machines so I been thinking about collecting some of the awesome looking ones... They have some cool designs out there...

The bad part is that tattoo machines are so simple mechanically that they rarely brake and when they do people tend to fix them... so you rarely see them been up for sale...

Is this even possible? Can one collect broken machines and not be consider "intruding" the industry?

Just asking before I go look stupid by requesting to buy broken tattoo machines.

I can only speak for myself but I think you'll find the overwhelming majority would agree that if there is such a thing as intruding into our industry (and there is), collecting the tools of our trade is the definition of it.

Interesting.... Very interesting.

Thanks for your post.

While I think it would be cool if one was given - say, to a lifelong client who had just had a piece done that both parties found phenomenal, broke the mold, or time to retire the machine type good - as a commemoration, I would never ask for one, and would refuse profusely if offered. I mean, it's literally their tools of the trade.

While I think it would be cool if one was given - say, to a lifelong client who had just had a piece done that both parties found phenomenal, broke the mold, or time to retire the machine type good - as a commemoration, I would never ask for one, and would refuse profusely if offered. I mean, it's literally their tools of the trade.

So can I say the same for my keyboard? Just saying.... I write hundreds of lines on code and when is time to retire my keyboard... I burn the fucker... LOL.

I am starting to feel what I ask is a sin... How dare I ask?!? LOL

curious either for you or anyone here.

As a client, would a tattoo artist be offended or refuse if I gave a machine as a gift?

So can I say the same for my keyboard? Just saying.... I write hundreds of lines on code and when is time to retire my keyboard... I burn the fucker... LOL.

I am starting to feel what I ask is a sin... How dare I ask?!? LOL

I'm just saying that's the only thing I think could see as acceptable. It's not like looking for a keyboard, unless we're talking Bill Gate's keyboard. Or Da Vinci's paint brushes is a bit more accurate. They're tools that have made hundreds or thousands of works of art. It's way more likely that they will be sold to a fellow tattooer, or passed on if an apprentice is taken. These are all just my thoughts without any evidence backing it up, and if I'm in trade secrets, delete this post.

And @Patrick Bateman, I really wouldn't know. I don't know anything about tattoo machines outside of seeing them run on me. I wouldn't because for me it would be like buying a game for someone you know nothing about. Is he on xbox or ps, does he like shooters or rpgs, does he hate this style of game, etc.

@xcom

You know, for someone who types code all day, your keyboard communication here sucks. I can't tell if you just don't care enough to respond in proper english or you speak english as a second language.

That being said, what @Abellve said. Tattoo machines are for tattooers, broken or not. That's it.

It's my second language.

I piss u enough to go that route? wow....

I think I had enough of this place.

This is the kind of pretentiousness I've always hated about tattooing. If someone wanted to collect hammers/speculums/plungers, no carpenter/gynecologist/plumber would care. Go buy some on amazon and put them next to your other memorabilia - I don't care and none of my tattooer friends would care.

Bad grammar on the other hand...now that's a real shame.

Bad grammar on the other hand...now that's a real shame.

You edited your original post which had nothing about grammar but...

Sorry bud. I am trying. I am not from the US. I hope that others who really stand out on bad grammar don't feel offended by this.

By the way you guys wont have to deal with my bad grammar any longer :)

I have no idea if you will find a tattooer willing to let you buy a broken machine but I do know that if you want to get into the dirty of tattooing, the internet isn't the place to look.

Nope not my intention and never will.... I do not have the patience that it takes to be one and I am to old for a career change.

Thanks for the post though!

I am now out.

Nope not my intention and never will.... I do not have the patience that it takes to be one and I am to old for a career change.

Thanks for the post though!

I am now out.

I just meant that your best bet is to get tattooed a whole lot by one person, pay your respects with a lot of time and money and maybe they will sell you one? Who knows, it's a gamble.

I am now out.

If by that you mean you're done with this forum, I hope you'll reconsider. I think you make a positive contribution and I think the forum would be a poorer place without you. As far as your English is concerned, it had never occurred to me that you were anything other than a native speaker and I am one, and a grammar nazi/language snob to boot.

As far as owning tattoo machines is concerned, I see no difference between that and owning any of the other tools you list. If anyone says otherwise, then that's their opinion and they're entitled to it but that doesn't make them right.

As far as how to go about that, I would never expect an artist to give you one and I'd be very dubious of an artist that would agree to sell you one. I would certainly advise against ever asking for one or asking to buy one; I think that would permanently sour your relationship with the artist. Of course you could buy one off the internet but I doubt that would mean anything to you. I don't really see a way forward but keep your eyes open and you may one day get lucky.

Whatever happens, I do hope you'll stick around.

+1 to all that.

You might consider a "Build it your self kit" tattoo machine, if you are into the mechanics and want to feel connected to your shelf piece when you are done. Most reputable suppliers won't sell to the public, so let the buyer beware..... I trust you will never use it.

As a mechanical design engineer by trade, I get the fascination with the devices.