I finally understand

xcom

Well, I think a good majority here are aware of these people. I love Aaron Cain, Pacheco and James Tex. Certainly not oblivious to it. I'm also certain that I don't have a tattoo machine tattooed on my hand, but I can recognize most on site. There isn't a Captain Big Nuts card to attain around here. I certainly am not interested in making anyone stay if they feel like they don't belong. Just know your audience. Period.

Glad to hear you have some good taste for the true greats as well as the popular trad guys.

Only regular size nuts in my shorts.

Apologies for not knowing my machines. I've only been exposed to the Jim Rosal and Dave Richmond machines in my boss' quiver. Having something tattooed on your hand doesn't mean you have to be able to name each and every one of its kind. I have a sailboat on my other hand but can't name each and every boat on the dock.

Lots of mention of Filip Leu, Aaron Cain and others on here. There's even a guy with a Leu back piece hanging around.

I don't really get why you'd come into this particular thread, which is clearly about traditional tattooing, and start ranting about people (supposedly) not recognising true greats of tattooing...

If you think someone needs some love then why not be constructive and start a thread?

My opinion has definitely changed over time. I started with getting work by some of the new guys (back then) who were pushing the art to the next level. I loved the way it didn't look like all the "old guy" stuff that my grandfather and uncles had from their days in the military. I thought that the up and comers understood my generation and had a better grip on all of the newer art styles like lowbrow and graffiti. I couldn't imagine going into an old biker type shop, which is where I got my first professional tattoo, and trying to get one of those guys to tattoo a Robert Williams image on you?

As I got more years under my belt (and tattoos), I really started to appreciate the imagery of all the traditional stuff. Even back in the mid 90's, I wanted traditional subject matter tattooed on me, but done by the new school guys with a modern take on it. Once all of the classic traditional guys started getting wider recognition with the releases of books full of old flash and the internet, I really got a good understanding of the history of it (as I'm sure a lot of other did too).My tastes evolved into liking/wanting straight traditional stuff, as I realized how powerful those images were.

Even though these days I really wouldn't have any desire to get any abstract/painterly/realistic work done, I appreciate the hell out of it and am proud to wear that type of stuff. I really think the way abstract and traditional stuff share space together on my skin is pretty cool...

Don't hate, APPRECIATE!!!!

I think I understand what @Rad Kelham is saying. It is somewhat of a turn down that this forum is not more open to more different styles other than Traditional. Let me elaborate. You dont get much conversation going on the neo trad, newschool, or the artist that execute them.. etc... When you do, it gets shutdown with allot of "That is not going to last" blah blah blah. Instead of looking a bit further out to the details and recognizing good art or even saying how well it got executed or not or what ever... Most of the time is just gets ignored or gets nowhere or even turns in to a bad thread... I am not saying this true for most users but the majority, specially does who allot of users look up too...

I tell you that is not my ignorance that does not allow me to like Traditional, But my personality and who I am that does not allow me to like it. I cant illustrate a traditional tattoo for the life of me, Maybe a neo trad but I would really have to like it and the person doing it I have to be very confident on them... Yes I have learned allot about traditional tattoos here and out side of here but I cant for now illustrate one.

I like the style that fits me and I will continue to collect them from the artists that I like, Is it trendy? who cares, it fits me. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Don't hate, APPRECIATE!!!!

+1 this, We need more of this around here :)

. You dont get much conversation going on the neo trad, newschool, or the artist that execute them.. etc... When you do, it gets shutdown with allot of "That is not going to last" blah blah blah. Instead of looking a bit further out to the details and recognizing good art or even saying how well it got executed or not or what ever... Most of the time is just gets ignored or gets nowhere or even turns in to a bad thread... I am not saying this true for most users but the majority, specially does who allot of users look up too...

I think a lot of the users who comment that "this is not going to last" etc are actually commenting on the application of the tattoo, not just the style as a passing fad - just because you "appreciate the details" and "recognize good art" doesn't necessarily mean that the details are good or that the art itself is good. Many people here who don't like the styles you do are making technical comments on how the art will last and how it is applied. Of course, some people just dislike it, and that's okay too, but to say that people just don't look at the details or appreciate good art I think is not the case, based on what I've read on the forum over the past few years.

I am also someone who loves traditional and japanese work - it's what I have on my body. I can definitely appreciate other styles, they're just not for me.

@Rad Kelham ...dude...so much filip leu respect on here it makes me want to shout what the fucking fuck that you even wrote that!!!! You obviously have a lot of good tattoos and a lot of good tattoo knowledge, even if they aren't my favorite styles or subject matter - but you also assume we have a lot of ignorance about other styles simply because we don't talk about them as much (although if you use the search thread you will see a LOT of talk) or don't like them as much.

I will echo @xcom in that I think the board is getting a lot more aggressive lately. (of course i did just make this post because i got so mad at some of the stuff i read, so I am certainly a part of this too).

I love tattoos. I love all styles. I'm almost finished with a full color "new school-ish" sleeve, and then moving on to a full traditional black and gray back piece, as well as many other traditional bold pieces. I may even go Japanese on my thigh/leg. You can have love for it all, if you do enough research.

I don't think I will keep on with too much newer solid color stuff, after learning more about longevity and realizing how much I too love the bold imagery. But I dig my sleeve and its definitely a huge part of my personality. I needed that damn sleeve. my childhood self needed that thing. The contrast I am starting is actually kind of neat.

I am new to these parts but it seems like as long as everyone keeps the respect up, we can all forum together. perhaps.

@beez, points taken.

People love to say "that's not gonna last" with regard to newer styles of tattoos, and that traditional tattoos will last.

Pardon me, but let's get real folks - that attitude is largely horse crap. Those old traditional tattoos on our parents and older, they mostly look like shit now. Have you seen any real sailor jerry tattoos now? Unrecognizable. All tattoos age and degrade.

On the other hand, here is an Eddy Deutsche sleeve completed in 1989 which I photographed less than a year ago. This piece is over 25 years old at the time of the photo. Dude also had an OLDER Guy Aitchison sleeve on the other arm and it looked equally good.

post-53683-146168880832_thumb.jpg

And I also agree that this place is pretty aggressive. I make some unpopular comments, but they are opinions on tattooing in general. In response I often get personal attacks, like my art is crap and I don't deserve a tattoo machine tattooed on my hand. Now that's just plain rude stuff.

Hairstyles and clothing styles change as do our preferences. Same with music, and you can always turn it off. I guess that is why tattoo style is so important to many people on here. Still, you can find just as much (or more) disagreement, solid entrenchment, and overall discourse on a forum about motorcycle paint jobs. People will not have the distinct attachment however that this is permanent art on their body. There will always be those who appreciate and even love all of it, just as there will always be those that have particular styles that they love and can do without the rest.

I'm glad that there are not sub-forums for the different styles. The underlying process of artist search and selection, booking, preparation, getting tattooed, healing and maintenance is pretty much the same. I'm thankful for the generous sharing of those aspects here, and just try to observe the rest. I'm trying to learn to appreciate ALL of the styles (comic book walking dead is quite a stretch for me) represented here.

- - - Updated - - -

@Rad Kelham, these are the pics I love to see - tattoos with some age on them. It is difficult to find pics like this on the 'net, or it is for me. Most of the pics you find when researching are of brand new tats on very young, good-looking people. No offense to young, good-looking people, of course!

Try @livedintattoos on Instagram.

Pardon me, but let's get real folks - that attitude is largely horse crap. Those old traditional tattoos on our parents and older, they mostly look like shit now. Have you seen any real sailor jerry tattoos now? Unrecognizable. All tattoos age and degrade.

Agreed.... as my post from earlier stated, I didn't want the same tattoos as my grandfather and uncles who served in the military...mostly because that stuff looked like grease stains on their arms, not cool traditional tattoos. I think tattooing, not matter the style or subject matter, has come a long way since those days. The basic concept or technique didn't change that much, just the appreciation of it as "an ART" and therefore how it's handled. my gramps would've socked someone in the kisser for telling him to stay out of the sun or put some "girly" lotion on to protect it.

No matter what style/color/subject matter/line weight is put into the skin these days, the chances of the thought going into it and the energy spent protecting will keep them from looking like "grease stains" for a long, long while.

....and does't the tagline to this website say "get good tattoos"....not get such and such a style ONLY. pretty sure there's room for everyone's style and opinion here!

- - - Updated - - -

@Rad Kelham googly eyes at that eddy deutsche sleeve! thx for sharing! I love seeing older work like that.

As soon as i can have someone in my family snap some pics of my work, I'll update my profile. I too have a full Eddy Deustche sleeve from 1990 and various work by Marcus Pacheco around the same age. Most of my tattoos are 18-20 plus years old and still look pretty great. Some of the finer detail has faded, depended how exposed to the sun the area was but, overall I still cherish every inch of that stuff.

I've always loved traditional tattooing because of how it ages. Ive seen in person a lot of underwater super colorful shit and it never looks good old. I've also seen in person a lot of old biker tattoos that look like shit. Never seen any old traditional tattoos that I had to stop and ask "what is that,' because even when they look like grease stains, they look better than any other kinda grease stains.

And now for the circle jerk: the higgs druid. That elder who does the same goddamn thing every day and has been doing it for hundreds of years and will keep doing it for hundreds of years. Thats fucking cool man. Thats power. Real spiritual mental power. Also the first tattoo time got me thinking about them this way. As far as art and the evolution of tattooing and tattoo art... I got a lot of devo records from my dad when I was a kid and i dont know if we arent men

I've always loved traditional tattooing because of how it ages. Ive seen in person a lot of underwater super colorful shit and it never looks good old. I've also seen in person a lot of old biker tattoos that look like shit. Never seen any old traditional tattoos that I had to stop and ask "what is that,' because even when they look like grease stains, they look better than any other kinda grease stains.

And now for the circle jerk: the higgs druid. That elder who does the same goddamn thing every day and has been doing it for hundreds of years and will keep doing it for hundreds of years. Thats fucking cool man. Thats power. Real spiritual mental power. Also the first tattoo time got me thinking about them this way. As far as art and the evolution of tattooing and tattoo art... I got a lot of devo records from my dad when I was a kid and i dont know if we arent men

I'll just put this here again. 26 years old. post-53683-14616888084_thumb.jpg

I'll just put this here again. 26 years old. [ATTACH]12527[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure I understand your point here. Eddy Deutsche is a traditionally trained tattooer who had also branched out in subject and style but keeps within the technique. Also the credo isn't exactly "traditional is better" it's "bold will hold."

I don't know. This thread has gotten kind of ridiculous. If you have a chip on your shoulder, don't engage other users in a negative or confrontational manner, go start a thread that promotes positive information and education on the tattooing that you like.

@<a href="http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/member.php?u=53395" target="_blank">rufio</a>,

Sounds like what me and my neighbors do. Ranging from topics like Religion and Politics... Mix that with alcohol and you get an awesome bunch of fucks making no sense... Lots of fun.. LOL

Ahahh yeah, Those are the days.

heres a video that I think will make most of you guys get spontaneous diarrhea.

This guy splashes ink on someone than tattoos the way the ink followed the body to the floor.

People love to say "that's not gonna last" with regard to newer styles of tattoos, and that traditional tattoos will last.

Sailor Jerry was tattooing in the 30's. Techniques, tools, ink, etc has all changed drastically since then. We know more about how to keep tattoos looking good, we know how certain things can negatively affect them. It's not really fair to look at a 20 year old new school tattoo and say it looks better than a 20 year old (at the time) Sailor Jerry piece, and it's even less fair to compare it to something that's 70 years old.

Everything fades and blurs with time, yes...but I think some of what people are saying about traditional tattoos "lasting" is just in the sense that the image and style is timeless. That's part of what made me gain interest in traditional tattoos a few years ago. Up until then, I definitely looked down on it and thought I would never get it on me...the more I've looked at the art, the more it appeals to my inner graphic designer. I think it's fascinating how so much can be conveyed with so few lines and colors, and I like how you never have to look too hard to know what it is. Sometimes it's nice to not have to fuss around with art, you just want something that clearly looks like what it is.