I finally understand

xcom

@RoryQ I think it's pretty uncommon here too, but I see it from time to time. More of a fan of the darker stuff myself, but I also think that stuff takes a lot of finesse to look good. But when it looks good it looks awesome! Bart Bingham has a 20 year old biomechanical sleeve that still looks great, come to think of it.

He's good ...what's to really argue about? (In regarding Myke Chambers) never understood folks beef with that cat

I think that Traditional Tattoos are the shit....didn't at first but I came to really love 'em...I like Neo Traditional more but it is what it is. Japanese is always some good shit too!

My biggest issue I have is getting either traditional or neo traditional on black folks!! Bold will hold, big visible and recognizable imagery, less detail, skin breaks make kick ass solid tattooing on black people. Slowly I will get them to come around, I swear it

I'm impressed by the technical ability of color portrait artists like Nikko Hurtado or Paul Acker, but a tattoo of Capt. Jack Sparrow or Catwoman, no matter how perfect, doesn't make me feel a thing.

This right here. I followed Hurtado on Instagram some time back, and like you was originally blown away by the technical application. But after a while -- you nailed it -- I just thought, if I wanted to see an ultra realistic depiction of Darth Vader, then why not just look at a photo of Darth Vader? Why even bother with a tattoo if there's zero artistic interpretation to it?

Why even bother with a tattoo if there's zero artistic interpretation to it?

Really? to be able to execute such piece on skin and make it like is damn real? Is not the same as getting a canvas and going at it you know...

I understand the emptiness on the "WoW" factor but but zero artistic interpretation that's low IMOH.

Really? to be able to execute such piece on skin and make it like is damn real? Is not the same as getting a canvas and going at it you know...

I understand the emptiness on the "WoW" factor but but zero artistic interpretation that's low IMOH.

What is it that you disagree with? That there's no artistic interpretation involved, or that the process is pointless without it?

I don't want to flog a dead horse, but Jennifer Billig put up some pretty cool pictures a couple weeks ago. This is just a tiny picture on a computer screen but I'm in awe of how durable a good tattoo is, and how skilled a good tattooer is. If it hits me in the gut the style doesn't really matter to me. Yay tattoos!!! This makes me want to go get more right away.