Official LST BBQ thread?

Isotope

I'm not going to lie, I'd eat that.

I unfortunately live in an uncivilized part of the world where what we call barbecue is actually grilling. There are starting to be some half-decent proper barbecue places, but it's still a rarity.

I'm not going to lie, I'd eat that.

I unfortunately live in an uncivilized part of the world where what we call barbecue is actually grilling. There are starting to be some half-decent proper barbecue places, but it's still a rarity.

You poor soul.

In Florida (born and raised 24 years), pork and fish were king, and it was still real BBQ. As a kid, my Grandfather made me stack cinder blocks a certain way near the carport, and that was the pit for my entire childhood.

Moved to Texas and beef is king here, along with the central Europe/German style, so I got right to work trying to get it down because it is so damned delicious. If you ever come down here to get tattooed by some of our crazy good local shops, I'll give you a BBQ tour and fire up the pit at the house. Same goes for any LST'er.

You guys know that you just ruined my measly ham sandwich that I just ate for lunch, don't you? I'm a pork fan, but have had some awesome beef ribs, too. There doesn't seem to be a particular style for this area (East Tennessee). We get a mixture of North Carolina vinegar-basted with spicy sauce and slaw on top (sorry, not a fan), Memphis sweet and spicy, Georgia sweet and spicy, and South Carolina mustard-based sauces (really not a favorite, but their pig-in-the-ground meat is awesome!). My favorite is from Dreamland in Birmingham, Alabama. I love the Hickory smoky meat, but it shouldn't be so strong that it gives me heartburn!

Nice thread @Isotope, and you don't happen to work at Franklin, do you?

Our daughter lives in Austin and my 6th session at ROA is coming up June 1st, so we're always visiting.

Usually we hit Uncle Billy's while we're in town.

Hit me up! This is just backyard hack stuff, I sure as hell don't work at a real joint. There is equal and better quality BBQ than Franklin that is low key, same style, and no wait. I will take you if I'm in town. Who's doing your work at ROA? I'm DYING DYING to have Tony Hundahl do a hand drawn Florida panther head with Florida paleo Indian shell axe. I've emailed a few times, no response, and the one day I was in town and could go south of the river (I work weeks in College Station as a research scientist, girl and I have a house in Austin, so I'm there during weekends), Tony and the gentleman who handles his booking were out. I just need to call, but I'm out any additional tattoo money this month after $400 worth of physical therapy and doc appts for the back. Maybe June.

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}

Hooper is doing my left leg. Dreyfus is the scheduler. I don't know what Tony's backlog is like, but it's a great shop. I'll try and get in touch with you upon our next return, 'cuz I'm always up for excellent bbq!

I'm a pork fan, but have had some awesome beef ribs, too.

I love pork ribs, but I admittedly have a soft spot for beef ribs. Done well they might even be my favorite. So much meat. So savory.

Hardly anybody does them in any of the places I've lived, though. :(

I just put together my new Weber gas grill. Grilling with gas is a new thing for me; we always had charcoal growing up. Tips for grilling chicken drumsticks like a boss would be welcome. I have a meat thermometer, but I'm still always paranoid about under/overdoing chicken.

I love pork ribs, but I admittedly have a soft spot for beef ribs. Done well they might even be my favorite. So much meat. So savory.

Hardly anybody does them in any of the places I've lived, though. :(

I just put together my new Weber gas grill. Grilling with gas is a new thing for me; we always had charcoal growing up. Tips for grilling chicken drumsticks like a boss would be welcome. I have a meat thermometer, but I'm still always paranoid about under/overdoing chicken.

Chicken is sooooo easy to turn into sparrow on a gas grill! I'm no cook, but I think one thing is to keep the top open and watch it carefully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't take pictures but I just got home from my town's annual BBQ challenge. They shut down main street and bbqers from all over the country compete to feed everyone the best smoked meats. We had a wild boar gyro and some phenomenal shrimp and sausage kebabs.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...