How do you decide?

stlm

I factor in a few things:

Season - How will it heal in which season, in summer I prefer less covered body parts over covered.

Body Part - Favorite body parts come first

Money/ Size - I would decide for the smaller tattoo if the bigger one breaks the bank when the appointment comes around.

But that's just me, I'm a planner with such things.

Money/size and artist availability. Start attaching your ideas to artists so you can make concrete plans to move on. Then whichever one is the most convenient for you to go into is as good as any if youre getting them all right? My issue is deciding exactly where I want each image. Which seems annoying for tattooers

I factor in a few things:

Season - How will it heal in which season, in summer I prefer less covered body parts over covered.

Body Part - Favorite body parts come first

Money/ Size - I would decide for the smaller tattoo if the bigger one breaks the bank when the appointment comes around.

But that's just me, I'm a planner with such things.

Thanks for all the help.

A lot of great tips in this thread, I think the season one will play a huge part. Since I am thinking about gettin the tattoo this summer.

I've done Russian roulette style where I find an artist I like and the style I want, then I give him/ her my ideas and say I'd be happy with what you come up with.

I'm setting up a traditional leg panther from a guy and told him I like what he does and feel free to do his thing. He is surprised by how hands off I am, and I feel like the tattoo will benefit from that. What if you wanted a traditional something and just told the guy I like eagles, roses and daggers and I'd be happy with a combination or any 1 you'd like to do.

I have a list of images of love and it usually comes down to the one least in my brain ironically. I've been so focused on getting a badass namakubi that my next may just be that Japanese rooster I forgot all about

I would go by tattooer not tattoo and let the guy/girl know what your thinking, ie: eagle is one of the tattoos you want and tattooer on top of your list may respond with " i have this eagle tattoo I have been wanting to do" easy peasy

Sounds like a good idea, all the tattooers work a long way away from my hometown though.

Usually I go one at a time. There are ideas that I've been bouncing around for a long time, but I don't get constantly set up for appointments - I can't schedule it, and I can't afford it. Usually around Feb - Mar I have enough money saved up from b-day, Xmas and tax season that I can get whatever I want. This time I went with a big calf sleeve, and that's fine with me - it looks great, and it's fun to see something grow over 3+ sessions (and still counting). Next year, I may do a couple of one shots - I have a good idea of a verse from a Springsteen song I could start my right arm with, and then there's a kneecap piece I want that would be my first tattoo from a different artist, but since these would both be good sized pieces I don't know if I could do both. Really just depends!

This is something I'm struggling with. I like so many different styles of tattoos, but I'm not sure if I could really see some of them going on my skin...I'm not sure if they're "for me." I'm saving a couple prime pieces of real estate (back, thighs, chest, at least) until I make up my mind. With one arm, I'm getting traditional images (maybe the other arm too). So far I'm just going down my arm getting stuff I like that I think might fit in the spaces I'm making as I go. I'm trying to support the local (ish) talent by going to guys fairly nearby, I might travel someday, but so far I'm sticking to guys 1-2 hours away. I recently got one spontaneous tattoo and loved the whole process, very liberating for someone who's normally a control freak in other aspects of their life. :rolleyes: I'm definitely looking forward to more picking flash off the wall, or choosing something out of an artist's sketch book.

Placement is how I've decided what's next...when you running low on your empty space you have to be mindful of the sequence you are getting your pieces, to not interfere with free space and placement of other upcoming works you have planned.

Placement is how I've decided what's next...when you running low on your empty space you have to be mindful of the sequence you are getting your pieces, to not interfere with free space and placement of other upcoming works you have planned.

I have pretty much free space at the moment, but I am thinking about what to place where later on. Since I am getting a Japanese piece now, and are planning to get a lot more traditional pieces later on.

• 2 weeks later...

@bongsau yes agree to this to an extent. Well to the extent of front of legs, back of legs still has some free space.

Though in saying that I know what want done and where. For pretty much the rest of my legs, front and back. Including knees and back of knees, yeah lots of planning done. Though my OCD dictates where I get tattooed next and, of course the where dictates what I get done.

I have pretty much free space at the moment, but I am thinking about what to place where later on. Since I am getting a Japanese piece now, and are planning to get a lot more traditional pieces later on.

I am getting tattooed in the Japanese style on my back, left leg, and right arm. (right arm is still blank!). Left arm, right leg and front are being saved for traditional pieces!

That said, I'm struggling with the idea of doing my blank arm in the traditional style because a) i like it and b) i wanna get it started! although nothing is really stopping me from starting it, so...?

I know that I want a neck to mid-thigh backpiece, and to have the front of my thighs done as well. As such, I've started with what I can afford to do before moving onto my back: thighs, ribs, etc all with the consideration of the future backpiece and leaving as much space on my back as possible while still getting tattoos that are comfortable for me coverage-wise.

I am planning traditional on my left leg, traditional on my left arm and I was going for a japanese piece on my right thigh, but at the moment I am thinking about going for japanese on my whole right foot. Allready got a booking with Marius Meyer for the thigh.