Sunscreens not protecting tattoo?

IzzyBizzy

Hey everyone!

Just a quick question for you all. I had my most recent tattoo done (shoulder/chest) on 4/14 and I've been using SPF for about 2 weeks now. I tan extremely easy but still have the type of skin that will burn. Anyhoo, I've been applying neutrogena SPF 100/70 sunscreen when going outside and while the area isn't burning, it's still tanning. I'm applying religiously at the very least every 2 hours. Will this damage my tattoo? What can I do to protect it? Is such a new tattoo more susceptible to sun damage? Thanks in advance.

Good question! I just read something saying new tattoos are more prone to sun damage. Maybe someone can confirm? Can you wear high neck shirts or a thin scarf when in the sun?

As far as sunscreen goes, chemical sunscreens (mainstream, non organic brands usually) are said to be less effective because they penetrate the first skin layer and react with the skin in a way that can even make it more prone to skin cancer and certain sun damage.

"Physical sunblock", containg Zinc Oxide for example is said to be better and healthier protection. Though many brands make your skin look chalky and the safety of Nano Zinc particles is debated. Some brands deemed fairly safe are Badger or Devita and Juice Beauty. I have used all three and Devita feels nicest when it comes to application, but it does contain Nano Zinc particles. The upside is it does not make you look chalky.

Not all products with a high SPF necessarily provide good protection from UVA and UVB rays. Google Cosmetic Chemicals database, there is information about the strength of the sunscreen as well.

@IzzyBizzy either keep it covered or use a barrier cream! something with zinc oxide or titanium oxide. badger balm makes a couple of good ones. just make sure it has those ingredients in it and it will be better than the neutrogena i think. but the best thing you can do for a tattoo that is that fresh is to keep it covered.

This is my plan for our family beach vacation in two weeks. I picked up a Coppertone Sensitive Skin SPF 50, but it looks like white paint, so I'll just cover with a micro-fiber shirt and use the Coppertone when I mow and to protect my face and ears.

Check out this thread I started when I was initially extremely paranoid about screwing up my back. Somewhere in this thread I did a pretty detailed analysis of sunscreens, ingredients, UVA/UVB and many some comments about types of clothing. Especially that wet T-shirts are about SPF 4 or 8. Last weekend my husband was outside all day sweating like mad in the sun and he got a sunburn. He didn't believe be because he said he was wearing a relatively thicker T-shirt. But he was pretty red.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/5584-sunscreen-sun-vacation-threads.html

Increasing numbers for the SPF beyond 50 add very little to the protection. It is not a linear scale. 50 is a minimum but don't pay a premium for a higher number. If the tattoo is new and you really want to be sure, I did what my tattoo artist demanded ( :-) ) of me before he got the final pics - SPF50 slathered on thick covered by a UV rash guard.

One thing I've found useful is to carry a physical sunscreen like beez mentioned in a stick form in my bag. I don't have a lot of surface area to cover, tattoo-wise, but it's useful for emergency touch-ups of super-exposed areas, like my upper arm. I have an Aveeno Baby one which I assume contains nanoparticles, but there are plenty of non-nanoparticle ones out there, too if that's a concern.

I was talking to my artists yesterday about his opinions on which sunscreen would be the best for me. He said none. In his opinion, sunscreen is very toxic and causes cancer rather quickly. He showed me some of his oldest work on his older sundamaged skin and his work is still beautiful, bold and bright. This made me think of a study I read last year stating sunburns/sun damage during childhood is what causes skin cancer. As an adult, sundamage causes premature aging but the dice is already cast if you will develope cancer. I thought it was interesting on both accounts. Thought I'd share.

• 2 weeks later...

Four days into our beach vacation. SPF 50 (Coppertone Sensitive Skin - very much zinc oxide based). Using it on my tattoos, ears, nose, and forehead. SPF 16 spray on the rest. Mild pink turning tan on shoulders, back, and belly (SPF 16 areas) and still florescent white around the tattoos. My forehead is a bit tanned because it is so oily (don't tell the Arabs) that the sunscreen literally runs off of it. So, the zinc oxide appears to work well. I don't swim in the ocean, but really enjoy walking the beach and being on it with the family. Was going to wear a shirt over the tattoos, but the sunscreen seems to work great, and it is pretty easy to see where it is applied.

Consumer reports recently updated their ratings of sun screens. But it looks like it may not

be available if you're not a CR subscriber.

Best Sunscreen Buying Guide

But they did find the best high-SPF to be Anthelios 60, which is very expensive in the US at least.

Second was coppertone ultraguard SPF 70.

Happy to see that Coppertone Waterbabies SPF50 is still a top choice. I slather that on. And surprisingly, the NO-AD Sport 50 is right up there and Walmart Equate. Good prices!

I know many artists who totally shun going out into the sun all year. Some of their work that is 5 years old or more, looks new. I know people (plainskins..) who are 65 and never get sun exposure due to the skin cancer scares they've heard about.. at age 65.. c'mon, live a bit...

I tan easily and rarely burn, and I'm in the pool or on the beach all summer. I use a 30 to a 50 spf product, but some of my work does get darker as I tan. But come fall and winter, it gets bright as my tan fades. I believe that any burn is bad for the tattoo and anywhere else on the body, but you have to accept some consequences for what happens to your tattoo if you like to go out into the sun.

I try to think of my sun exposure when I get a new tattoo, avoid fine line work also fine detail. I had a dark tattoo from 1979 that was practically a black and blue blob by 2012. It did cover up nicely with new work.