Ideas for tattoo that represents being alone.

Nick DeMaro

I'm planning a half sleeve. It's going to be composed of my three biggest fears. I know these sound cliche but it's personal to me. One of them is the future, so naturally a clock, finding my direction, obviously a compass, and the third one is being alone. I can't think of something that visually represents being alone. Between the three pieces will be filled with black and grey roses. Does anyone have any ideas?

You said you want to represent your fears. Your first two ideas, the clock and the compass, are good strong images that are positive. And in the case of the compass at least, represent something forward-looking to help you address your fears.

For the third fear - being alone - you might want to choose an image that conveys you overcome that fear as well, rather than an image that just conveys that you have that fear. I think that's why the clipper popped into my mind immediately - it shows movement and can represent moving away from your fears.

I supposed that's all I would caution - maybe avoid images that would cement those fears in your mind, and choose positive images that help you look beyond the fear to help overcome it.

Good luck!

You said you want to represent your fears. Your first two ideas, the clock and the compass, are good strong images that are positive. And in the case of the compass at least, represent something forward-looking to help you address your fears.

For the third fear - being alone - you might want to choose an image that conveys you overcome that fear as well, rather than an image that just conveys that you have that fear. I think that's why the clipper popped into my mind immediately - it shows movement and can represent moving away from your fears.

I supposed that's all I would caution - maybe avoid images that would cement those fears in your mind, and choose positive images that help you look beyond the fear to help overcome it.

Good luck!

A hand reaching out? Simple and goes with the other two.

I would agree with what has been said and, don't get something that cements your fears. But instead, rather something that will help you overcome them. If you're going for a nautical theme (which seems to be that way going by suggestions), how about a nautical star or an anchor? Or thundercloud with lightening? Or a lone dragon near the clipper ship?