So I sketched something for myself...

(mods if this is somehow not allowed, I apologize, no harm intended).

So, as I said in my intro thread, I have zero creativity. Like, I'm about as clever as a brick. And I have general ideas that I give my artists free reign on, or, you know, traditional flash. But I've had this idea for awhile, and, figured, what the hell, I'll try to sketch it out to show a future artist clearly what I'm thinking. Even though I know I'll probably catch hell for trying to sketch out my own idea, my skin is thick. Freehand except for straightedge use. Let me know if you think this will translate at all in the hands of a good tattooer...

17791590359_fe3872e628_z.jpg

I honestly don't think you'll get grief from any tattooist when you bring in your own sketch. It's better to give them an idea of what is in your head and, let them play about with the design to improve it. My own has said several times, if I want to bring him a rough sketch even if it is shite, just to give him an idea of what is in my head, then to go for it. Personally I think as long as it's not on a phone the day you go in, then it's all good.

That's my 2d's worth anyway.

Idk what most artists think about home sketched tattoo designs, but I got 4 of my hand drawn designs tattooed and the artist improved it a bit while tattooing.

I am continuing to draw my own stuff because the ancient tattoo designs I like can't be found online to be printed.

I like what you drew up, it looks great imo. I think a good artists should also understand that sometimes customers just want exactly what they want and no improvements to the design. It is most important that it is perfect to you isn't it?

I think a good artists should also understand that sometimes customers just want exactly what they want and no improvements to the design.

Suiren,

You have to keep in mind that there is certain things that ether wont look good on the skin or just cant be tattooed for many magical tattoo world reasons...

But for the most part when an artist improves a piece they have their reasons... For example body flow, geometry, detail, and the list can go on, and on, and on...

So you have to be open-minded and flexible when you walk in with your own drawings.

My 2 centavos.

@Isotope, Good luck, Have fun, and keep us posted if you get this!!! :)

From my personal experience, I brought in a sketch I had labored over for week to have done on my chest. The artist modified to make it more compressed and shaped it too fit better on my chest. I always think it is a good idea to have an artist redo your sketch, you will get the best quality tattoo if the artist is doing it the way he wants it.

Suiren,

You have to keep in mind that there is certain things that ether wont look good on the skin or just cant be tattooed for many magical tattoo world reasons...

But for the most part when an artist improves a piece they have their reasons... For example body flow, geometry, detail, and the list can go on, and on, and on...

So you have to be open-minded and flexible when you walk in with your own drawings.

My 2 centavos.

@Isotope, Good luck, Have fun, and keep us posted if you get this!!! :)

Oh yeah I definitely keep an open mind and ask if it is realizable combined with the placement and make changes if needed or listen to advice. My artist felt my sketches are suitable so we went ahead and he only improved the lines some as he went.

Not saying to just get whatever but I think comprimises are good so the customer can get their sketch made possible if that is really important.

I also say compromise because even if a customer wants something less than ideal, like in my case thin lines or small symbols on the hand, it should not mean one has to "completely" dismiss their original idea. But I spoke to the artist about it and we said if I keep it fairly simple, with enough space etc. it will age "okay". Not as perfect as bold, clear black lines but I just can't see myself with anything too heavy...so it would be no tattoo or second best option :)

I hope that is understandable.

As far as the OP goes, I think it is realistic to expect it won't need too much adjustments. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Not bad art, dude, post more in this thread! http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-designs-books-flash/185-how-about-art-show.html

I think as long as you go into a consult with the expectation that things about your drawing will almost definitely be altered, artists don't mind when people bring in their own sketches. It also wouldn't hurt if you gave the artist reference photos out of his own portfolio, like "I really like this rose you did, I like how you did the petals/the color/etc." You're choosing the guy for a reason so if you can explain to him what it was that made you gravitate towards him, that would be helpful for both of you. (I don't know if you're that picky about how it turns out, but it's just kind of general advice for someone who might be really particular.)

If you had the pump jack done in Texas, they can probably do it from memory!

I've worked with my artist closely on three of my tattoos (via email after initial consult), and am very pleased with her improvements to my ideas (given on sketches, photos, and modified images from the internet for my population map). On my other tattoo I sent photo references and a description(different artist). The artist did not want a consultation, and I only saw his sketch right before he made the stencil. I wish I had thanked him, told him to keep the deposit, and walked.

If you had the pump jack done in Texas, they can probably do it from memory!

I've worked with my artist closely on three of my tattoos (via email after initial consult), and am very pleased with her improvements to my ideas (given on sketches, photos, and modified images from the internet for my population map). On my other tattoo I sent photo references and a description(different artist). The artist did not want a consultation, and I only saw his sketch right before he made the stencil. I wish I had thanked him, told him to keep the deposit, and walked.

Tattoos we're not happy with happen, but you really need to get over that one.

Thanks @pidjones ! I love it. I held a huge BBQ on Sunday, after a Mexican birthday party the night before, so I had been up since 4 AM. My better half had to drive to Houston around 8PM, and she asked what I was gonna do the rest of the evening. I said I'd probably see what Charley thinks of this design. He saw it and said, dude, let's get you hooked up. So, there you go. I can't take a good pic of it yet. The placement is as a shoulder epaulet, and I keep getting tons of glare.

A little background on this sketch, my grandfathers were WWII veterans, one a Marine in the Pacific, one army in North Africa. One also shot M1903 competitively before being drafted to the Army. The .30-06 was America's cartridge for two world wars, Korea, and some parts of Vietnam. I'm a fairly active recreational marksman, taught by my grandfathers, and load my own cartridges, and also shoot M1903.

18272551568_24ec32d670.jpg

I'd only suggest letting the artist make the text and stem a bit better. I like it, overall. Color or B&G?

That would be full color. I am bad at text spacing. And writing by hand in general. Thanks for letting me post random dumb concepts here!