Everyday life experiences

xcom

So as of a month or so I have come to remember that kid that came here with a neck tattoo and we just burned him to ashes because of his life limiting decision.

I have come to learn that while it matters what placement your tattoo is at, the reaction and stereotyping is the same. I wear tanks and shorts allot, Texas is hot as shit and so is where I am from so I wear tanks and shorts when I can.

When I went to Canada I got allot of stares and questions around the office I was visiting at about my leg tattoos. Nothing uncomfortable but it was funny :)

Everywhere I go I get at least one person asking me about why this and why that about tattoos. Occasionally I get the "That's fucking RAD". Lots of staring and mumbling, and when I make eye contact people get nervous and walk away... My wife and I just laugh...

My wife tends to study my surroundings and enjoys telling me how people are reacting around me about my tattoo. Some people don't know I know Spanish (I look Italian so they tell me) and I can hear them talk about me... Yesterday I got called a thug because of my tattoo and that bother me and told that person a thing or two about tattoos in Spanish, They quickly got surprise and apologize and walked away. Last night again my friends dad who I was helping load 2x6 to his truck called me a thug because of my tattoos.

Some people cant even hold a conversation without staring at my tattoos and I dont even have many. LOL!!

To me all this is funny, Because I am learning quickly how some people are just ignorant and they can't differentiate from amazing work of art to a gang related tattoo and in the other hand I have learned that tattoos are not for people who do not like attention.

Do you get to experience any of this?

Often on way to get tattooed or way back from. More so than wearing shorts or short dress to show leg ones off. Still get some prejudge towards them. Though did make me laugh, cause when was outside of fave pub on Thurs night after getting inked, two men (not bouncers they just asked what got done now lol) said "I don't know whether to look at you or read you." is funny, but on flip side of that am aware of looks and whispers that a woman is so heavily tattooed, but *shrug* their problem not mine.

All that aside, I have changed people's views on heavily tattooed people. Had more than a few people come to me and say so, which is lovely.

yup! XD and I only have my right sleeve done until recently ( around 2 weeks ago) when I got my lower sleeve done , people not seem to care , now it seems like people think they're entitled to tell me how much of a mistake i made since its visible in a short sleeve shirt. Mainly from die-hard christians in the area that im forced to associate with/be around, But I've never been called a thug haha , more or less the most common insult is hipster/or anything along those lines, because people assume you can only get tattoos if youre trying to look cool or badass. Its almost as exhausting as the random people who come up and lift my sleeve without even saying anything as if we've been buddies for life or sumit XDD

Its almost as exhausting as the random people who come up and lift my sleeve without even saying anything as if we've been buddies for life or sumit XDD

Yeah the first one who tries to pull up my dress to see my other leg tattoos, will get politely told to fuck off and, a swift left hook (if they're lucky). Have had men joke asking if going all the way up, when say already have gone there, look on faces so funny. But that is not on, people lifting your sleeve. Tell them to fuck off and ask them what the fuck are they doing? Have done that in past, when a top shows some peeking underneath. Yeah, they pull their hand away quite quickly *smiles sweetly*

One comment I got last year made me laugh. This woman in fave pub, as was paying tab, commented on my tattoos. Other regulars (men) where there and, they asked to see what had got done. She said to me "You just get tattooed so men look at you. It's in fashion now and, you only do it to be cool." I burst out laughing and replied "Fuck off! Been getting tattooed for 16 years and, besides you know fuck all about me, so please, kindly fuck off!" That made me laugh... *shakes head*

Also heard of heavily tattooed people moaning at people looking at them and, coming up to them asking questions. Well simple solution, don't walk around with your tattoos on show! I've had loads come up to me to talk about them, if I have time, I'll talk to them. If not, I just say something like "Sorry, can't talk now but can answer quick question if you want."

Manners cost fuck all and that goes same for tattooed people as well. Have heard of some tattooed being rude to people who just asked where they got their work done. We get prejudiced enough, without doing ourselves no favours. Didn't mean this to be a rant! Will stop now.

Haha I completely agree , When they yank up my sleeve I just turn at them with a "you stepped in the lions den" face LOL. I cannot fucking stand it when people invade my person space like that , but exactly if they have questions or just interested in what I have by all means ask away! dont just yank and act like you're entitled to view something that's partially in sight. I've brought that up to someone before like , Sir could you please not just come up and yank up my sleeve I have no idea who you are, His response; Oh no its ok man I have tattoos too." like huh? did I ask, does having tattoos give you a permission slip to caress strangers LOL

Omg they'd be lucky to get off with a hook if they went up my leg LOL mate be eating through a straw, and yea I've noticed a certain "better then you -esque " with some tattooed folks but it's rare for me , Idk if they've just gotten fed up with a million questions which idk how you could I love talking about tattoos and my reasons behind my sleeve ,etc. Or some just have a plain 'ol rotten attitude XD

I've been lucky that most of my reactions are either ones of fascination, or confusion, or some mixture thereof. :rolleyes: I've only gotten a couple negative (mostly religiously motivated or gender based) comments, which is pretty impressive considering I live in bumfuck PA. For the most part, people either say nothing or have only positive things to say. Granted, I'm not as covered as some of you guys are (yet!), but it seems to some people one tattoo on a girl is equal to 5 on a guy. Generally my tattoos don't affect my day to day life. I work in a pretty accepting environment, social work...tattoos are either welcomed or shunned depending on how far in the government you are and who your clients are. I work with the mentally ill and in these kinds of places, all they care about is you're willing to show up and deal with the punishment. ;) The clients actually like my tattoos and I think it makes me a little more of the "cool" girl in their eyes, which helps a lot with rapport.

So far I have some illustrative work (which everyone seems to approve of) and some traditional work, which is more dividing. People either love how classic and old school traditional tattoos are, or they have these reactions like "Those look like what my grandpa had...why would you want THAT?"

I live in Minneapolis and to honest no one ever notices or comments one way or another on my tattoos. I have very visible leg tattoos and it's a complete non issue.

I sometimes will tell people I like their tattoos or ask them where they got them and generally people are polite but nobody every seems to want to talk about it which is weird to me because I mostly want to spend all of my time talking about tattoos, music, or NBA basketball.

I got my leg tattoo a week ago and have only received one comment from a guy in a bicycle shop asking me where I got it done. He was very friendly and down to earth.

I did receive a strange look from a 4 year old today, but I'm not sure if it was related to my tattoo or not. It's a neighbor and I was taking my 2 year old on a walk.

Most of the random conversations I've struck are with ex-military types who have tattoos themselves. The last was a vietnam vet at costco who rolled up in his wheel chair and hollered a comment about my work. We ended up having a brief pow-wow in the middle of the store. Me checking out his rad, aged work, and him talking up my variety of visible tattoos.

I cherish that shit, and it makes the very few negative reactions all the more insignificant. That brief moment to have common ground with a total stranger and share in their experiences.

I have a lot of tattoos,both full sleeves on my arms,a neck piece,and most of my legs are tattooed,and I wear shorts and t-shirts 99% of the year.

I have seen a nice trend here for a while now,and that is I have received a lot of positive comments and compliments from non tattooed people of all types,both strangers and my work clients,pretty cool IMO.But then maybe I'm strange but I like the attention & reactions I get and see from people about my tattoos anyway !

and to AverageJer ,I agree,I like to talk to other tattooed people too,I feel like us tattooed people have a camaraderie of sorts IMO,some people are open to that and some apparently don't like it.

@AverageJer, and @Dan This is why I enjoy been at the studios/shops because you can strike conversations with other people and artists about tattoos, I dont hang around those areas (I avoid loitering) but I do go in a few min early to shoot the shit around with the guys...

You are not strange I like the attention and reaction as well. This is why is funny to me :) I never once gave a bad attitude to those people asking me question and when I have it handy I pass business cards around to people who ask me about my specific work. Some like to conversate about it some just want to ask a question and keep going.

I just don't like the stereotyping and shit.... But I guess it comes with been Latino... :confused:

I live in an extremely small town and I had an experience recently that left me baffled. I am no where near covered-I have my left bicep and most of my right arm done, yet I was at the gas station and saw a woman grab her child as I walked by and stare at me. Honestly it just makes me chuckle though.

I live in an extremely small town and I had an experience recently that left me baffled. I am no where near covered-I have my left bicep and most of my right arm done, yet I was at the gas station and saw a woman grab her child as I walked by and stare at me. Honestly it just makes me chuckle though.

I'm in Modesto/Turlock/Manteca/Ripon/riverbank/oakdale etc etc all the time for clients,modesto is not so small anymore IMO,the traffic is starting to suck pretty bad,

fortunately I haven't had an experience like that down there,at least that I have noticed.

I'm in Modesto/Turlock/Manteca/Ripon/riverbank/oakdale etc etc all the time for clients,modesto is not so small anymore IMO,the traffic is starting to suck pretty bad,

fortunately I haven't had an experience like that down there,at least that I have noticed.

That's awesome. I actually live in Oakdale and just use Modesto as a general idea for LST members. I think it's tolerated a lot more today, but Oakdale still isn't the most liberal of places I think.

That's awesome. I actually live in Oakdale and just use Modesto as a general idea for LST members. I think it's tolerated a lot more today, but Oakdale still isn't the most liberal of places I think.

I agree :) the area is fairly conservative.

@jnin really? I've had opposite reaction when my legs are on show. I've had parents stop me and, say stuff like "do you mind stopping and showing my daughter/son your tattoos?" Or sometimes esp in places like shopping centres (you call them malls I believe in the states), where children are running around they stop and talk to me or just stare fascinated. Then parents come up and apologise, I just laugh and, say it's cool. Maybe it's because Belfast (where I get tattooed), really doesn't give a fuck about whether your tattooed or not? I've never had a parent move their child like that.

Have this lovely sweet story, when was on way to get the Giger portrait done, walked through shopping centre. And this 4yr old was running from parents and just stopped dead in front of me. Started at the Oni Mask, he was properly transfixed. His mother asked if I could follow them around all day, because it was the quietest he's ever been :D That made me smile.

no problem. that thread started with stares but jumps around to a bunch of different topics, of course going back to stares often since that's the thread title. heavily tattooed folks know that stares are a part of the everyday experience, but there are also some great non-stare everyday experiences in that thread as well... for instance, @Jack wrote "I met a chick once who asked if she could lick my tattoos. After brief consideration I obviously consented."

if this doesn't make you want to skim thru an old thread, i don't know what will. ;)

interesting one today - took an old friend paddleboarding who i hadnt seen in a long while

he was quick to inform me that he had become pretty conservative and felt strongly and negatively about tattoos and people getting tattoos - we've known each other over 20 years so it was just a conversational blip in a great day of SUP and catching up but...it was a bummer in a way - a reminder i guess of how judgemental folks - even good folks - can be - meh

interesting one today - took an old friend paddleboarding who i hadnt seen in a long while

he was quick to inform me that he had become pretty conservative and felt strongly and negatively about tattoos and people getting tattoos - we've known each other over 20 years so it was just a conversational blip in a great day of SUP and catching up but...it was a bummer in a way - a reminder i guess of how judgemental folks - even good folks - can be - meh

@marley mission, That really sucks bro. :( I know is hard specially with an old friend such as yours, BUT fuck it bro! Keep moving forward!

This is what makes this thread unique, Sharing one life's experiences on how tattoos change "certain" aspect of your path/life as well of those around you.

- - - Updated - - -

no problem. that thread started with stares but jumps around to a bunch of different topics, of course going back to stares often since that's the thread title. heavily tattooed folks know that stares are a part of the everyday experience, but there are also some great non-stare everyday experiences in that thread as well... for instance, @Jack wrote "I met a chick once who asked if she could lick my tattoos. After brief consideration I obviously consented."

if this doesn't make you want to skim thru an old thread, i don't know what will. ;)

ROFL!!!!

HAHAHAHA worth a read for sure!

That is shite :( sorry to hear that. Especially when it's an old friend, but at same time a friend should accept you for who you are. Even though if they don't fully understand why or even what, you get tattooed. And at the end of the day, your body, you're not hurting anyone (well maybe yourself :p lol) but hopefully you get my meaning. Just my 2d's worth.

My co-workers (including bosses and big boss of dept), don't understand why am so heavily tattooed, or why I keep going. Same with my friends. But, they all accept me for me. Maybe it's 'cause I really don't give a flying fuck what any of them think about my tattoos, means I get that reaction? *Shrugs* Don't let them drag you down.

I have put much thought into this and the psychology and perception around tattoos and impressions that are made. I have to admit that I myself am somewhat judgment about placement in cases where content can be offensive. That being said, I feel the same way about offensive language on shirts etc... I myself do not get offended, as I was a Marine for 11 years and there is nothing I haven't heard before. But, I realize I share this earth and thing and there is a time, place, and audience for everything. Fair or not, it will limit employment opportunities and may deter customers so ultimately unless you own your own business it's a choice you have to live with. I have a few friends with many non traditional face piercings and neck tattoos that complain about not getting jobs. I don't know any of my Marine friends without tattoos. I made the mistake years ago of getting cheap tattoos with little meaning. I live in regret for many years until of a coverup. In the 20 years I never recalled 1 person commenting on it being cool or that they liked it. That being said. I think a high quality unique tattoo(s) with a thought of them will not make someone pass judgement as quick as bunch of unplanned themeless banger with awkward placement. Just my 2cents

I don't notice stares much lately and haven't, to my knowledge, been called a thug before. At least not to my face anyway. I don't really feel self-conscious much, but then there are areas I visit where I put on a jacket by habit. If I get comments, they are usually positive. These days I have more people saying I look like Steve Aoki. I don't really. I'm just Asian with long hair but I do remember a couple of experiences.

There was a time once while standing in line at the Market, an elderly woman was staring at my arms. She told me my tattoos were beautiful and they looked like shirt sleeves. I thought that was really cute. Awesome, really.

Another time, I was at a close friend's birthday for her 2 year old daughter. I was probably the only single person there, the only visibly tattooed person there and I have long hair and a beard. I definitely stood apart and one of the kids there noticed my tattoos. You could tell she was really curious, staring and smiling, and wanted to look closer. The problem was while I knew 80% of the people there, I hadn't met this particular child's parents so unfortunately my internal alarms went off and I went into self preservation defense mode and had to disengage. The little girl's curiosity was cool but it kind of sucked I felt that way and felt the need to do that. They could have been cool with it, but you never know how parents can be when it comes to their child and they are just trying to look out for their kids. I guess I'm keenly aware these days I'm not as inconspicuous as others and I've never been good with babies and children to begin with.

Another experience which was interesting, was a time in London. I was out with someone I was visiting, and met a few of her friends at a bar in the eve. It was winter and cold so I had a coat on. We were all sitting and chatting for a bit. All was good, then I realized I still had my coat on inside. I took it off and didn't think much that my shirt sleeves had been rolled up so everyone saw I had tattoos. Most covered it well or knew I had tattoos but for the rest of the night 2 of her friends kept staring at my arms. It was very obvious and a little uncomfortable. Mostly just weird. Neither of them said anything. I ignored the stares but it would have definitely been better had they just asked me about the tattoos or said something. I mean I won't shank people just for speaking up. Really I won't. Interestingly I've actually felt self-conscious a few times while visiting the UK. I don't know why. Love visiting there though.

Oops that was long...