Hello

Michael J Goldman

was your friend leonard nimoy? I didn't know that he was jewish.

that is a neat choice for the quote what led you to that one specifically

Actually, Nimoy was Jewish. The live long and prosper hand sign was actually used during Jewish blessings.

Anyway, my best friend was a big Star Trek fan and we always used to go see the movies when they premiered. Obviously, Wrath of Khan was the big one at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cool, would you sway from the eternal flame for something iconic from that franchise in his honor? I don't know enough to make suggestions for star trek, but I feel something more upbeat might bring a smile with the tattoo.

and I totally learned today that Nimoy was jewish =)

I might if there was a really compelling idea but, I've been mulling this over for about three years.

The flame is significant because all synagogues have one of these eternal lights (nowadays it's obviously electric) and it reminds me that the memories live on.

By the way...not just Nimoy, Shatner is also.

Welcome Michael. There are a lot of great shops and artists in NYC. I have personal experience with Saved, Smith Street, and New York Adorned and would recommend anybody at any of those shops, but there are loads more in the area who will give you a great tattoo. I'd also recommend checking out Flyrite, King's Avenue, Three Kings, Greenpoint, Fun City, Invisible, and that's just scratching the surface.

Welcome Michael. There are a lot of great shops and artists in NYC. I have personal experience with Saved, Smith Street, and New York Adorned and would recommend anybody at any of those shops, but there are loads more in the area who will give you a great tattoo. I'd also recommend checking out Flyrite, King's Avenue, Three Kings, Greenpoint, Fun City, Invisible, and that's just scratching the surface.

Thank you.

I actually contacted one of the artists at New York Adorned he recommended a couple of others at that shop and also someone at Love Hate.

• 3 weeks later...
The artist I chose came up with a design.

[ATTACH]12706[/ATTACH]

@Michael J Goldman

Welcome!

Who did you choose?

Look up some of the shops / artists mentioned on here. You say you spoke to someone at NYA?

Take a look at the artwork shown on here and compare it to that design, i'll leave you to your own conclusions.

The drawing is based on what I wanted for the design....to incorporate a hebrew name into the flame graphic.

The shop and artist are mentioned on here and was recommended by one of the artists at NYA.

My interpretation of your comment is that don't like it.

@Michael J Goldman

Welcome!

Who did you choose?

Look up some of the shops / artists mentioned on here. You say you spoke to someone at NYA?

Take a look at the artwork shown on here and compare it to that design, i'll leave you to your own conclusions.

The drawing is based on what I wanted for the design....to incorporate a hebrew name into the flame graphic.

The shop and artist are mentioned on here and was recommended by one of the artists at NYA.

My interpretation of your comment is that don't like it.

It's personally not something i'd get. Seems a bit basic? I'm just trying to give you some friendly advice and point you in the right direction. If you like this design, get it tattooed, and like the resulting tattoo; who am I to say any different?

What's the artist's name?

I think a Nimoy portrait would be really cool and still memorialise your friend in a meaningful way.

If you feel strongly about the Hebrew lettering and flames then ... Why not... If the design shown was executed in a clean way it could look better than the sketch, which must have been intended to give a rough idea (guessing here).

The lettering to me - non Jew here, but I do love Trek - almost looks like spiky tribal ... maybe the artist intended that - it's not a good or a bad thing btw.

Either way, what matters is whether you will be happy wearing it.

I appreciate all of the input.

We've come up with a different take on the design. If you're familiar with what the eternal flame at JFK's gravesite looks like...there will be a ring, shaded in black/gray with the hebrew letters at the front, in negative space and flames rising up from the center of the ring, behind the letters.

The original design was something I had imagined, based on one I had seen done with a different hebrew name.

I'm really not looking for something elaborate for this so, yes, the design is going to seem pretty basic.

I'm working with Guy Waisman at Love Hate in NYC.