Koi Tattoo With a Twist

Hey guys,

I would like to start off by saying that I in no way, shape, or form want this to come off in a way that I am disrespecting the traditional style of this kind of tattooing. My idea is to get a traditional Japanese Koi tattoo covering the left side of my upper back opposite the side of the tattoo I just got last week. I want it to be in black and gray and have the traditional waves and such. I want to add in a little twist but I want to make sure that it won't offend anybody or disrespect the style of this kind of tattooing. I am an avid outdoorsman and love hunting and fishing. One of my favorite hobbies is actually called bowfishing where we shoot asian carp (common carp) with a bow and arrow and give them to some local people in my area who eat them and consider them a delicacy. I thought it would be cool and different to get a traditional koi tattoo but have an arrow sticking out of it to represent my love for bowfishing. Is that a good idea or will it offend anyone do you think?

First, don't worry about offending people with your tattoos.

Second, you'll find that things getting stuck with arrows is not uncommon in tattoo imagery. I couldn't find any koi examples, but there are plenty of wolves. There is also a member here who has a wolf being shot up done by Chris O'Donnell, but I can't remember who it is. I think a shot up koi would look pretty cool.

Valerie Vargas

08d2089f4a0cbb3ee0da9dbf1fb7adf5.jpg

That tattoo looks sweet! I have seen tattoos of animals shot up with arrows but never a koi before and thought it would look cool. I think it would be cool to have a common tattoo but a little twist on it to be a little different. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing any injustice to the style of tattooing or anything

I like the idea. Koi are always getting a free pass in the tattoo world so I think it is great that someone is willing to put them in their place by putting an arrow through one :)

One thing you might want to think about is placement. By putting a medium/large sized piece on each shoulder you are limiting your options for a potential future cohesive full back piece. Maybe think about getting this koi as a rib piece or half sleeve. Or go huge with it and have a koi back piece surrounded by animal skulls.

I understand when you talk about the placement of it. I feel as though I am limited with my options. I am still in college and with what I want to do in life arms are kind of out of the question at least at this point. When I get employed though and if tattoos aren't an issue, I do see myself having a sleeve or at least some tattoos on my arms. Ribs seem like they would be nice but scare me a little haha. I don't ever see myself having a full back piece but I'm sure most people say the same thing at first

I really like that picture! I want something very similar to those lines with one arrow sticking out of the top of it. Back to the placement topic: like I said I don't see myself ever doing a full back piece but that could change I guess. If I do go with this tattoo on the top left of back on my shoulder blade, is a back piece kind of out of the question? Basically, I am wondering if anyone has done smallerish pieces on the top of their backs and were able to incorporate it into a larger piece further down the road

I love your idea with the carp, I think it will be stunning imagery. Ive been thinking on my next piece and was concidering a dragon eating a carp or morphing into one. IDK, your idea is brillant.

Carp killing where I live is a thing, I'm not much of a blood thirsty gal myself but people here are quiet inventive in their methods......explosives, AR15's and BaseBall Bats.

Go for it!

I like the idea. Koi are always getting a free pass in the tattoo world so I think it is great that someone is willing to put them in their place by putting an arrow through one :)

One thing you might want to think about is placement. By putting a medium/large sized piece on each shoulder you are limiting your options for a potential future cohesive full back piece. Maybe think about getting this koi as a rib piece or half sleeve. Or go huge with it and have a koi back piece surrounded by animal skulls.

dying laughing right now!!! Stupid fish are always getting off easy.