The Brainstorming Thread

Thanks for making the thread a success, guys. I love reading about other people's ideas almost as much as I like thinking about my own. ;)

More thoughts: I'd like to start bigger projects, like ribs, back, chest, etc. But I feel like torso tattoos are really bold statement pieces, especially on women, so I want to make sure my ideas are perfect for each spot. I'm kind of thinking about an underboob type design that's actually not geometric for once...I'm thinking a couple of panthers and/or tigers facing off, with their bodies/tails curled up and around each boob and their faces meeting in the middle. Think this kind of pose, but obviously more suited to the female body: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8a/a9/38/8aa938f599b1da484ff4d620cbf6cbe5.jpg Gotta think about it for a while, though.

I think @hogg has tigers under/around his boobs.

Wow, I feel lame! I'm getting one of the last three things that I've wanted for a while done in September, then will get the last one of two done in the winter most likely, then it's moving on to my back. After that, the "grand plan" will be accomplished. I really have no plans on moving onto my arms or lower on my legs. We'll see if the "grand plan" sticks, or if I move outward though.

That's where I'm at with things:

September = right thigh

Late fall/winter = left rib

??? = back

Gotta let my husband get some work done too!!!

Awesome ideas, getting some inspiration. I'd like to get a big torch (location undecided), a stormy umbrella, and finish out my left sleeve with waves clouds some lightening and a big flower. Checking a traditional wolf head off my list this weekend! Cheers guys awesome ideas.

I started to click 'like' on the posts in this thread but I had to stop, because I could probably click 'like' on all of them.

Greg and I started talking about backpieces the last time I was in there. We tend to be on the same page about stuff and I feel really comfortable with his choices, so I think it's a good way to go. I just don't want to rush into it until I know for sure what I want.

We decided to go with Tibetan imagery (the panther-shell on the inside of my arm was inspired by the makaras in right-turning shells in the totally amazing Encyclopedia of Tibetan Symbols and Motifs, by Robert Beer). We just keep coming back to that book every time I'm in the shop. It's just SO rich that I hardly know where to start! I'm pretty sure I want an azure dragon...and a makara. So that's sky, and water, and what in between...? I am leaning toward a dakini, though. I'm very partial to them.

I want to get the three fates (definitely as beautiful women) smiling, with the thread of fate curling around my pinkie as it is being cut... on my forearm. I have an artist I'm thinking about getting this from.

And I want the whore of Babylon (babylon the great and the beast) on the back of my thigh.

Completely unrelated, but the style of that right-hand illustration's red beasties totally reminds me of the figures in some of doze green's work. Very cool.

I've been kicking around another idea for my right arm, I'm thinking a 3/4 sleeve. Of a Geisha sitting, with a very sad expression, holding a black cat in her arms. The idea comes from a beautiful print my friend brought me back from Japan 10 years or more ago and in time has become my favorite piece. For the back ground, my nerdieness and love of repeating patterns and fabrics comes in. Instead of clouds, swirls and waves, (maybe broken up with wind bars?) I was thinking the lovely Kimono patterns in Black and negative space and only the Geisha in color. Now that I typed all that out, I'm sure I want her now.

Two ideas that I'm pretty set on is a Dan Higgs's Druid on my wrist, and this Amund Dietzel work as a possible chest piece: 1376439318520acc16eda25.jpg

Eventually I'd like to get the brokeback skull girl (think that's what it's known as). And my deep ambition is to get a full traditional japanese leg sleeve that will go up into a backpiece. I may need a few piggy banks started for that one.

I never in all my days thought I'd see a Doze Green reference on LST. Bravo!

Haha, highfive! I have quite a few giclees from that guy. Siddartha, Luminous B, and I think the Annunaki trio. I missed out on the collaborative piece he did with MARS1, which is sad, because I've got a bunch of MARS1 giclee/litho/prints, too. :cool:

UGH! here goes!!

I'm thinking of a buffalo head or a white rhino head on my thigh -> something like that http://i.imgur.com/trLr6.jpg

And I'd also want http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2z2PKwLPrC0/maxresdefault.jpg this guy and what a day! what a lovely day! written maybe comic-book style or smth around it. I'm not sure yet!! but I love the imagery of madness and pure bliss..i feel that this is life, you're enjoying every moment of this fast ride to death. Too morbid?

I'd also want to write " i live. i die. i live again " somewhere although i'm not religious :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been kicking around with the idea of getting a few little candy hearts tattooed for a while now. I get some great ideas for bigger pieces but this just wont go away. Thinking of dropping into the place I got my last tattoo on a rare day off today to see if anyone is free; but I'm nervous because I'm not sure whether it would be rude to my original artist if it ends uo being someone else. They all do amazing work though and I definetly would like to get pieces done by most of them in the future, but I'm just not sure on the ettiquite :/

I really want to get an animal head on my knee. I wanted a gorilla because my group of friends used to call each other dirty gorillas as a strange inside joke. However, I've seen a bunch of those in the past month.

I don't want to be so copy cat with it, and am leaning against the traditional tiger, panther, gorilla, wolf, or bear heads and am now thinking maybe some crazy dinosaur head. I just gotta make sure it would look right. anklyosaurus (sp?) would look cool, and so would like a triceratops. But I am still open to the type of dinosaur.

Koeplinger is coming to Smith Street in August, but I'm not sure how much $$ I'll have then. I'm pretty sure I want him to do it thought

EDIT: IF I can snag the spot I will find a way to pay for it. :p

UGH! here goes!!

I'm thinking of a buffalo head or a white rhino head on my thigh -> something like that http://i.imgur.com/trLr6.jpg

And I'd also want http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2z2PKwLPrC0/maxresdefault.jpg this guy and what a day! what a lovely day! written maybe comic-book style or smth around it. I'm not sure yet!! but I love the imagery of madness and pure bliss..i feel that this is life, you're enjoying every moment of this fast ride to death. Too morbid?

I'd also want to write " i live. i die. i live again " somewhere although i'm not religious :)

Ha yes the War Boy idea is great. I could see that being pulled off really well.

I have a weird rule imposed on myself. I won't get anything that a friend has, design and/or placement wise. Unless it's a common theme. Or if I have work in progress already started on.

For example, if I were to ever get my hands tattooed, and I see that my friend just got a pair of hannyas on his hands, then I couldn't get hannyas on my hands. So it's kind of a race for me to get the tattoo designs I want before all my friends get them.

Also, I used to want a praying hands tattoo, but Drake ruined that for me.

Something big on my leg, ankle to waist. Snake vs. dragon? Snake vs eagle? Snake vs. two eagles?

So many possibilities. Tattoos are hard.

Also need a tiger in my life. Big fuck off one. Blue and white bengal would do.

A black cat would be nice, too. I already have one. But, like, another one.

Really looking to break the mould in so far as designs are concerned. Really push the medium forward into uncharted territory, you know?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for making the thread a success, guys. I love reading about other people's ideas almost as much as I like thinking about my own. ;)

More thoughts: I'd like to start bigger projects, like ribs, back, chest, etc. But I feel like torso tattoos are really bold statement pieces, especially on women, so I want to make sure my ideas are perfect for each spot. I'm kind of thinking about an underboob type design that's actually not geometric for once...I'm thinking a couple of panthers and/or tigers facing off, with their bodies/tails curled up and around each boob and their faces meeting in the middle. Think this kind of pose, but obviously more suited to the female body: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8a/a9/38/8aa938f599b1da484ff4d620cbf6cbe5.jpg Gotta think about it for a while, though.

Whoa. Who did that panther?

^ No idea, just one of the first c-shaped panther pics I found. :p

I tentatively mentioned to my boyfriend my rooster/snake idea and he actually loved it, this is my first idea he was totally on board with. Always a nice perk! I found a guy a state over who would be fucking perfect for it, so I really think this might happen in the distant future. I have one more tattoo planned for next month and then I'll be stuck with at least one spot I desperately need to have filled in because it's driving me crazy (big empty spot on the back of my upper arm). The more I look at it, the more I'm thinking of doing a really goofy traditional style parrot squeezed in there.

The one I'm getting next month is on my other inner bicep (knocking that out of the way first because my other one was horrible and it's going to be with Chad Koeplinger, who can get it over with ASAP!) so I guess I should start thinking of something for the outer bicep area, or else it might look weird by itself. No idea for that spot yet...

EDIT: This is who I'm considering to do the rooster/snake. I love every bird and snake I've seen him do, so it only makes sense. https://instagram.com/braddoziertattoos/

I'm waxing on the idea of a trail of miniature army ants going from a small open gap on my waist...blast over some light background on my obliques...and then finishing with a silver dollar sized ant (or ant head) right smack in the open spot of my Escher rib tattoo.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, a spider...I'm terrified of spiders but have maintained a peace treaty with them for 25 years. So I think I need a cool looking spider with some kinda wacky symbol hidden on it's silk-making bumb. Fill in the surrounding gaps with fine line webbing.

I'd also like to collect a couple more tiny insect tattoos...a ladybug, a bumblebee, a worm w/ a rainbow clitellum, and a fly. Lots of space left ;)

I'm waxing on the idea of a trail of miniature army ants going from a small open gap on my waist...blast over some light background on my obliques...and then finishing with a silver dollar sized ant (or ant head) right smack in the open spot of my Escher rib tattoo.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, a spider...I'm terrified of spiders but have maintained a peace treaty with them for 25 years. So I think I need a cool looking spider with some kinda wacky symbol hidden on it's silk-making bumb. Fill in the surrounding gaps with fine line webbing.

I'd also like to collect a couple more tiny insect tattoos...a ladybug, a bumblebee, a worm w/ a rainbow clitellum, and a fly. Lots of space left ;)

Maybe your praying mantis attacking a fly?

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread to ask for some input...

Although I won't be getting tattooed for a while, and might even get a couple one shots before starting this next project, I was wondering if anyone had any input so I could start thinking and planning a little better. I'm pretty confident I'll pursue an earlier idea I posted about getting a scene of a rooster and snake fighting on my calf (sort of illustrative, neo-traditional style). Trying to think of someone relatively local that would be good for it. I'm imagining at least 3 sessions because I'm a wimp, so I don't want to go cross country for it or anything, but would be willing to go a state or two over.

So far I have two guys on my radar: Brad Dozier (https://instagram.com/braddoziertattoos/ out of Ohio) and Fran Massino (https://instagram.com/franmassino/ out of Maryland). I like both their style of snakes, and Brad does tons of birds also. Any other ideas for artists to consider?

Hi! I'm gonna go by Herpia2241 on here, just for reasons. I'm not actually an artist, tattoo or otherwise. I'm actually looking for all your ideas. I know what I want tattooed, I just can't find quite the right designs, and I would love to see some of your work or hear recommendations, and maybe inspire you all to do some sketching maybe? Anyway, down to business.

I've got three thing I specifically know I wanna get done. Firstly is on one leg, I would want a whole fishy/scales/fin thing done, all down my thigh, knee, and calf, and maybe going up to my hips and waist. Nothing too bright or garish, but not simplistic or cartoony either. Just beautiful and intricate.

Next, on the other leg, I'd like the same length but with a snake winding around my leg, again possibly going up my hip and waist and definitely going to my calf. Something realistic, but not the cliche open-mouthed hissing thing. Tongue is cool, though. Not sure what kind, I'm not picky about that right now. Again, not bright or cartoony or simple. Just stunning and makes you kinda wanna trace it with your finger.

Lastly, but the most well-formed in my mind, is a set of angelic wings emerging from the middle of my back, up across my shoulders and arms down to my elbows. I found a picture of 'anatomically correct tattooed angel wings', and absolutely fell in love with it.

I can't wait to see what y'all say, and if I'm lucky enough to get some sketches. If this can be inspiration, more power to you as long as I get to see it please!

No "bright, cartoony, or simple tattoos"...not sure how well you'll fit in here. ;)

But for real, sketching is what the artist is for. Don't just ask strangers to help you out on the internet for free, no one has time to draw something for you so you can take it to an artist. Just cut out the middleman and have the artist draw the design. Makes more sense, no?

Do you have any tattoos? These are all ambitious ideas that need a really great artist to make them look good, and a lot of dedication on your part to finish them. Take those ideas to a world class artist and you could get something really cool. If you give your location, someone might have some ideas.