Bratty NYC Blogger: "Don't tell me I can't get a f***ing neck tattoo"

Isotope

I do have pretty strong opinions on it, but not because of the usual honor code stuff which goes along with neck/hand stuff.

My beef is more along the lines of her attitude of entitlement and attempts of defamation. Her shitty, spoiled rotten attitude is so pervasive in our society right now that it sickens and saddens me at the same time. All businesses have the right to refuse service, for whatever reason they deem sufficient. She has her right to complain and all, but I'm glad it backfired and that it all got handled properly.

On vacation in the wilderness and have not so swift service so can't read either article. It just reminded me of the first time I sat for my current work, the artist and I were chatting and we talked about customers that want things they don't like to do, like white ink tattoos--he mentioned some things seem to go in spurts and he thought it was strange. At that time, over the few weeks he'd had several girls, beautiful girls, come in wanting facial tattoos. And not a little star or something, they wanted like half their face. It was separate times too, they weren't all in a group. He said they got huffy, when he tried to talk to them about their reasonings *why* they wanted it done. He's like "I tattoo for a living. That's what I *do*-and *I* don't have tattoos on my face." They all were very put out, very arrogant in their thinking that "well if someone won't hire me that's their loss, I don't need them". He wouldn't allow them to make appointments that day and told them they had to come back in a month or whatever, and they never did come back.

I'm not interested in making a political statement about this. It's not my place. I didn't appreciate the tone of this bloggers article but I can appreciate her frustration. We all hate to be told no.

In the end I support an artists right to refuse to do art they wouldn't feel good about doing. This to me is different than a mechanic or an doctor refusing service on religious grounds or because they don't like the looks of a given individual. Art is unique in this way. I suppose a good conversation could be had about how to determine the difference between art, skill and craft but not being proficient in any of these I am reluctant.