New tattoo! Want expert opinions!

heather41a

Hey guys! I have 3 tattoos, love my first 2 and love my new 3rd but am also having some doubts about the design. It was a collaborative effort between me and the artist, and the artist said it was a really good design. And the quality is amazing, but I'm starting to think the placement is a little weird. It's an origami fox, goes around inward side of my wrist horizontally. I'll attach pictures. Do you guys think it looks ok? Would have been better vertically? It was placed to cover a scar, but I'm worried that you get to see parts at any given time and this makes you either see a bum or a tailless fox (which looks like a dog).

Opinions please! Don't hold back, be honest!!post-54088-14616888177_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Just hoping it actually looks like a fox! I'm just a pretty insecure person so it's just my thing to worry! And I know I can't get honest opinions from friends so in relying on you guys! I'm ok with cubist!

Thanks! Just hoping it actually looks like a fox! I'm just a pretty insecure person so it's just my thing to worry! And I know I can't get honest opinions from friends so in relying on you guys! I'm ok with cubist!

To be fair. Does it matter anymore? It is what it is. Your tattoo. Love it as you should love your body with its flaws and unique marks. Basically, this tattoo shows a bit of life passed by you and that's that. If anyone makes you feel bad about it, it's on them not on the tattoo..or you :) Don't worry.

Thanks guys! I do appreciate the feedback and the positive words. Think I've come to the decision though to cover it up once it's healed and I've saved up enough money... Thinking of getting some tapestry style flowers done around my wrist. Or maybe having it removed? Won't be making any quick decisions though!

Thanks guys! I do appreciate the feedback and the positive words. Think I've come to the decision though to cover it up once it's healed and I've saved up enough money... Thinking of getting some tapestry style flowers done around my wrist. Or maybe having it removed? Won't be making any quick decisions though!

Look, Heather. I don't want to come off as rude...but from your rhetoric I get a deep sense of indecisiveness and not really knowing what you want. Together with the fact that you don't have the conviction to stand by what you do want [ like this fox, you wanted it now you're like, maybe i should cover it up...after what? 1 month? ] you are too easily swayed by your own insecurities and maybe the opinions of some jerks, assholes or simply people with a different opinion than yourself. What I mean by all that is that, I think you should really really focus on figuring our what you really want in life, from yourself as a person..good, personal and RIGHT tattooes will just be a side effect of knowing yourself. Trust me on that.

Press pause, stop obsessing about this fox for a while and look at the whole experience as a starting point to a much needed maturity.

If you don't, you'll just cover it up with something that you really don't want either and it's just a vicious circle that will only get you more confused and depressed and neurotic. I might be wrong in which case I apologize, just something I gathered from your posts.

a few question to get you started:

1. Why did you want this tattoo in the first place?

2. Why something origami-style?

some good points made on this thread already. i agree that you definitely should not cover it up or get it removed. love it and use it as a sign post for all the future growth and learning. it's a cute fox, but there are lessons to be learned.

your tattooer, as an artist with a client relatively new to tattooing, should have provided more direction and suggestion. however, as an evolving client, you get to learn from this one.

in the future, i would:

- turn the fox around, so it's facing forward with your body

- shrink it about 15-20% so it doesn't wrap around as much.

some (lazy) artists might not care enough to go thru the extra work, but the artist and client would both be happier in the end. there may be artists out there who think of it as a business and just want to get you in and out of the door as quickly as possible so they can work on other things or the next client or the next drawing that they're really into. perhaps they don't take as much time as they should with each client. once they stencil is placed on, they just hope you're happy with it so they can get the ink in and get paid. it's up to the client to say... "nah. let's move it" or "can we make it smaller?" sometimes this can be a pain in the ass to the artist if you do it too much*. but in the end, you have to be happy with the outcome and stencil placement is about the last time you can make those decisions.

*in this case, your artist would have had to wipe the stencil, shrink the image, confirm the size, make a new stencil facing the other way, and re-place the stencil. that isn't a big deal at all. but at each of these steps, the artist should be asking if it's all good and you, as the client, have an opportunity to speak up.

if you want to read up on some things LSTers have learned on their journeys, check out this tread:

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/6025-cool-stuff-youve-learned-gotten-into-etc-thanks-getting-tattooed.html

even after all this advice that you asked for, you might still want to get it covered. consider that it might be a bit difficult to cover and the tattooer will have to go much bigger to do so. if they don't do a solid job of covering it, you might still see bits of this cute little fox reminding you of all these lessons anyways.

surround it with great tattoos and use these lessons to empower yourself.

I agree with everyone else. The only opinion that counts is yours. Ive been told I will regret my larger tattoo, its not to most peoples taste but its not for them and I'm going to keep adding to it. My ring tattoo ive been told its chavy, but there is a reason I have it and its nobody's else's business. The small one on my side is awful, its all out of shape, I got it at 17 just because I could but again I wouldn't change it for the world.

You got your tattoo for a reason, no matter what the reason. Next time once the template is on your arm and your unsure, talk to the artist they have been trough this before and they know it will be on you forever, they understand. Maybe take a confident friend who will say something.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are amazing so I thought I better give you all an update on how I'm feeling about the tattoo and in general! The past month has been a bit up and down for me personally so Sick is totally right, I have a few things to start to sort out. And some lessons to learn. I agree with Hands On as well that I wish the fox didn't warp around as much, but you are all right to say that I need to learn a lesson from the whole experience and just learn to love it. Which I wouldn't say I'm at "love" yet but I'm starting to feel really cool and have had some good and bad reactions to the tattoo and am starting to take both in stride. And the main thing from the fox is that I want to get more tattoos! So it's not diminished my passion for ink.

To address some of your questions. I went in with a totally different design and the artist suggested origami and I suggested a fox. Foxes have meaning for me and my best friend lives in Japan so origami does too. The fox is in that place on my arm because I have a scar represented a bad time in my life and I wanted it covered for about 2 years but never could decide on exactly what to get. I do like to trust the artists because I don't see myself as a creative person, but this is difficult because I am not a heavily inked person so by no means an expert. That's why I'm glad to have found you guys.

Anyway, that was a bit rambling. But thank you all for your honesty and for your help and advice. I will take it to heart, and it means a lot to me when people tell it like it is. So thank you again. Xx

• 1 month later...