Which is better?

lilazn561

Im planning on getting a half sleeve soon for my birthday. I was wondering if it was better to get the ouline done first and then color it or get my koi fish done first and then add the rest later on. This will be my biggest tattoo. Im thinking the outline first and then color but im not entirely sure.

I agree with the above advice to talk to your artist first.

If s/he doesn't have a preference though, I would say it would depend mostly on how soon you plan to complete the tattoo. Like if you're outlining one day and then colouring two weeks later, that would be fine. If you're waiting a year to finish it (due to finances or whatever), then I would say go with a complete element so you don't have an unfinished tattoo for so long.

Really though a lot depends on composition, etc. so your artist will give you the best guidance to base your decision on.

Depends on your artist's preference. If you have a half sleeve in mind as the end goal, then plan that out with him/her. This will give them the reference for space that they need to be able to start designing your tattoo.

As far as execution goes (outlining the whole thing vs. completing sections), that is up to the arrangement you two will make. Put your 2 cents in, and they'll do the same. Then come to a decision together.

I'd talk to the artist too. I've had four sessions, going back for another this weekend, and has been spread out for a year..a little over a year I think, since he's always so booked. He is doing area by area. For instance, whatever he can draw on and then get outlined in the 4 hour slot. Then the next time he did shading/color, the third time finished that entire "baby sleeve". When I was there last month, he drew on and then outlined an extension around the back of my shoulder. This weekend he'll work on color. Not sure what all will get done. But we just keep it up like that outline/color/color/outline/color/color until it's done. I told him it didn't make a shit to me how he wanted to do it-I said if he wanted to do all the outlining first, from baby sleeve, around the upper back and down the other baby sleeve, and then work on color for the whole thing that was fine w/me. He likes to do it this way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...