Introducing myself

myselfthistime

Guess I'll keep talking to myself maybe I'm too vague and wallflower-ish.

I'm from a state where tattooing hasn't been legal all that long, so I'm having a hard time finding a shop or artist I feel has a ton of experience. I've been to visit 3 locally and there are only about 8 total that don't count as an overnight trip.

I have 2 badly done hand-pokes from an ex-boyfriend that I want covered up, and one not too horrible that I would like refreshed a little.

I'm very interested in Japanese style tattoos, I think they're beautiful and the symbolism intrigues me. I would love to eventually have a huge, cohesive design somewhere on my body.

Also of note, I'm not so young anymore and my post-childbirth middle-aged body isn't the best canvas; the thread that drew me to join this forum was found on a Google search regarding tattoos on overweight women.

Thanks for reading and look forward to some more interesting conversations in the future.

Welcome to the forum! If you tell us the area you live I'm quite certain someone will have an artist recommendation for you.

Don't be discouraged by a long drive or overnight trip! I have gotten the majority of my tattoos while travelling (just realized that, actually) and while it does increase the cost a bit, you end up with both the tattoo and the travel memories so I believe it to be well worth it.

I'm in the 49th of 50 states that made tattooing legal (South Carolina) and that's only about 10 years ago. There are probably a ton of great artists in the coastal areas, but I'm in the midlands.

In my younger years friends would go to Georgia or North Carolina to get inked, but I never did. Dumb move on my part, the ex was a terrific artist but that didn't translate into skin with India ink and a guitar string. . .

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks SeeSea, that's the thread that I've been obsessively reading since I found LST. I love that I'm not alone in my insecurities and that most of my body-related fears about having tattoos are all in my head. See you around!!

NC has several great artists, and I would expect a good artist to work the Myrtle Beach area. I use a wonderful female artist in Knoxville. Be assured that we have seen very bad work. Stay with us and learn the personalities. Many of the folks here have many, many hours of ink and fantastic art from all over.

Pic 1 used to be on my boob, but 20+ years of gravity took care of that. And at least I got my own name instead of his! Second picture is by the same guy, it's on my left thigh, I've had nurses and doctors ask me what that is, but the best one said "Is that a vegetable tray?" It's actually a heart in a banner with a rose on top that hurt so damn bad I made him stop and I never finished it! The last one is my oldest daughter's name, in my handwriting, done by my brother-in-law just after she was born, so it's right at 18 years old now. That's on my right thigh, and that's the only one I'm sentimental about and wouldn't cover up.

Gravity is always in effect - for guys, too! But, your skin looks like it is well cared for, and the art so small that you could have any of them covered/fixed up, etc. The heart and flower could be redone in traditional or other forms. Your name could easily be incorporated, BUT, this is from some guy on the internet. Find a great tattooer, check references and portfolio, and ask the artist!

Gravity is always in effect - for guys, too! But, your skin looks like it is well cared for, and the art so small that you could have any of them covered/fixed up, etc. The heart and flower could be redone in traditional or other forms. Your name could easily be incorporated, BUT, this is from some guy on the internet. Find a great tattooer, check references and portfolio, and ask the artist!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, much appreciated. I'm still in the planning phase, so searching for good artists now. Fingers crossed I'll get at least one fixed by the end of the year!

And, Columbia to Knoxville (even with the delays across the French Broad) is only ~ 5 hours. I'd recommend Sarah Hurst @ Vivid Tattoo in Knoxville Instagram @vividtattooknoxville. She does great cover-ups. Her internet site and email is down for maintenance, but her Facebook is up (Vivid Tattoo) and you can message her through it.

But, really a good number of great artists a half-day or less from SC midstate.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the vote of confidence, much appreciated. I'm still in the planning phase, so searching for good artists now. Fingers crossed I'll get at least one fixed by the end of the year!

So happy you came here and can't wait to see the results! Vegetable tray - that made me laugh! Don't worry, those will be easy to cover if you want.