Hello all!

Darrin Maier

Hello,

I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Darrin (obviously) and I'm a 29 year old artist and a graphic designer by trade. I don't have too many tattoos at the moment, but I do want many more when my finances permit.

I do have a question and I read I can post a question in this post. I'm an artist and I want to start seeking an apprenticeship. I have about 15 images to show someone, but I m concerned by work is too "cartoon" and/or not appropriate for tattooing. I know I have to wait a bit before making new threads, but I wanted an honest look at my work and how I can improve and what to include and stuff. I've used the search feature, but can't find work that looks quite like mine does in tattooing. I'm just worried it's too "weird". Am I able to post it here or should I wait?

Thanks and I'm happy to be here and that the forum is active!

-Darrin

You gotta be around it to know it. Nobody is going to be able to tell you what to include to make your work more applicable to tattooing, just start small, save up money and get work from good shops. Turning up at a shop with no tattoos and a vague desire to apprentice is likely to meet with a very blunt response. Pay your dues, get tattooed and maybe something will happen for you in the future.

Like Graeme said, get tattooed. Being able to draw is important, but understanding the physiological/psychological aspects of tattooing is even more important. I am almost through year one of my apprenticeship and it's a trip. You need to be extremely focused and motivated, because it's HARD. It's also fun and inspiring and the best thing I've ever done, but again, it's HARD. You are broke, tired, stressed, overworked, and have your confidence tested regularly. My teacher tells me this, "Tattooing is a technical skill. Like a watchmaker. Anyone can learn it if you dedicate yourself to the craft. Your artistic ability won't even be a factor until you are 4 years in", so focus less on making the most amazing art you can and focus on being financially, emotionally, physically ready to apprentice. Get tattooed and find the right person. I spend 6 days a week with my teacher. I am looking over his shoulder 75% of the time. I do almost everything for the shop. We talk about life, we joke, we talk shit, we stress out, we help each other. If you can't find someone that you can do all that with and not hate life, it won't work. Good luck.