Question on shoulder/muscle pain

Got my first tattoo a little over a week ago on upper arm/shoulder area.

The tattoo and surrounding area seem perfectly fine, no pain, minimal to no scabbing, started peeling a bit....pretty much a perfect first experience.

In the last few days I've started feeling some shoulder/muscle aches...is there any possibility that this indicates some sort of infection, despite no visible signs on the surface?

If the tattoo is healing well I wouldn't worry about an infection. If you start running a fever, have increased swelling in the area, puss coming from the wound, then you have something going on. Like Pid said, I might just be due to how you are holding your body. During this time of year a common cause of muscle aches and cramps is dehydration, so make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

Disclaimer: I am not a Dr., but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night. If symptoms worsen or don't improve in a few days, make sure to follow up with your regular Dr. and or your tattoo artist.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hopefully you’re still active on this because I’m experiencing the same problem but my tattoo is 5 weeks old. The pain actually started 5 days ago. The thing is I haven’t been lifting anything or laying on it and I still have muscle pain throughout my arm but mostly on the upper arm where the tattoo is. How long did the pain last and was there any infection ? I’m done pealing and everything too