Art Tattoo Montreal - September 11-13, 2015

The 13th Annual Art Tattoo Montreal show is coming up in September. It is moving to a new and larger venue while the normal venue undergoes renovation so this installment is going to be even bigger than previous years, and from the artists who have been announced so far, it's going to be spectacular. The convention always draws so many great artists and many are returning--Henning, Mike Rubendall, Tin Tin, Todd Noble, Nick Colella, Ron Wells, Turk, Guen Douglas, James Tex, Ishmael Johnson (who I got a great tattoo from last year), and really far too many others to name--but this year there are going to be a lot of new attendees too: Steve Byrne, Katja Ramirez, Paul Dobleman, Juan Puente, Shawn Barber, Henry Lewis, Eckel, Wendy Pham, Jim Sylvia, and so many more. I have no idea who I'm going to get tattooed by because there are so many excellent choices.

Like last year, the convention is opening with a vernissage at the Yves Laroche gallery, and this year the show is new paintings from Turf One, Shawn Barber, and Mike Davis.

And, of course, if you're coming in from out of town, Montreal is a great city to visit and spend a few days in. I've organised LST meetups the past couple of years and I am totally up for organising a meetup again over food, drinks, or whatever, because it's always a lot of fun getting to meet and hang out with you folks in person. Who is in?

art tattoo montreal

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Montreal-Art-Tattoo-Show/9786505473?fref=ts

https://instagram.com/arttattoomontreal/

IN!

I have been waiting patiently for this thread to get started - did you know last years was posted in January?! :)

Unlike last year I'm not going to make an appointment, but I will probably get a small tattoo if someone has time available. There's a gap on my right arm that has been bothering me lately...

Looking forward to meeting up with LSTers - and hopefully some brunch. Mmm...brunch.

This always sounds like such a great time, I know one of these years I'll have to make my way up. I hear nothing but good things about Montreal and the imitation poutine that gets served around here has me hungry for the real deal.

@Shaun1105 Haha yeah, I am a little later than usual with the post this year. Though January was probably a bit early. Brunch last year was fun so maybe we'll do it again this year because it seems easiest to coordinate a meetup before the convention starts.

@exume It's totally worth the effort to get here, BUT I would say that Montreal poutine is imitation poutine. You have to go off island to get the good stuff.

Here is poutine from Chez Ashton in Quebec City. You can't get anything close to this in Montreal.

15f53sx.jpg

I have no idea who I'm going to get tattooed by because there are so many excellent choices.

Obviously, at the end of the day it's your call, but reading that my first thought was Wendy Pham. She does such rad tattoos, and lives so far away from you... If i were in your shoes that would be a huge temptation. Then again, i guess you could say the exact same about a lot of names on that list!

Obviously, at the end of the day it's your call, but reading that my first thought was Wendy Pham. She does such rad tattoos, and lives so far away from you... If i were in your shoes that would be a huge temptation. Then again, i guess you could say the exact same about a lot of names on that list!

I've had an idea for a tattoo for a couple of years that I've never seen anybody do before that I think Mike Rubendall would do an excellent job of if he is interested in doing it, so I was thinking of trying to get an appointment with him, but because I'm still working on my back I don't think I have the budget for that tattoo right now. So I really don't know who I'll get tattooed by. Maybe I'll try to get a walk up.

• 2 weeks later...

I might actually try to go to this one with the wife, she's itching to get work done and the list of artists going there is pretty damn awesome.

Went to my first tattoo convention this weekend and won best sleeve, pretty pumped to go to Boston's next month, especially since my artist will be there this time. Would be awesome to go to three conventions in a row.

• 4 weeks later...
Looks like I'm not going to be getting a walk up after all because I made an appointment today. I am super psyched, and it's going to be really nice getting a one session tattoo after spending over a year working on my back.

Who did you book with? I was trying to resist the temptation, but it was a futile effort. I'm in with Greg Christian first thing Friday.

Who did you book with? I was trying to resist the temptation, but it was a futile effort. I'm in with Greg Christian first thing Friday.
Nice. I'm getting tattooed by Robert Ryan first thing Saturday.

So far I'm resisting the temptation, but there's still a couple weeks to go. Both of those guys are high on my list (and I didn't realize until just now that Robert Ryan was even at the convention!).

Either of you know if they're doing appointments only or taking walkups at all?

So far I'm resisting the temptation, but there's still a couple weeks to go. Both of those guys are high on my list (and I didn't realize until just now that Robert Ryan was even at the convention!).

No idea. Robert Ryan said he was coming to Montreal on his Instagram, it isn't on the convention's website or Instagram yet. I jumped at the chance.

Greg is taking appointments, not sure about walkups, but he seemed pretty flexible time wise about a week ago. His email is on his instagram post.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone going to the convention tonight - if you see me say hi. I'll be the guy with a beard and tattoos.

...in also tall, bald, and perhaps most helpfully I will have my LST tshirt on.

Tomorrow I will be harder to spot perhaps. Look for the panther tattoo (my avatar) on my calf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk