Black base in color tattoos. Shades of color vs. color w/ black to acheive shade

I see the general topic of more black the better in tattoo design and longevity and now that I am getting more tattoos and paying more attention to other tattoos and even watching some shows, I see many approaches to shading/coloring. I see a lot of color tattoos were a large palette is used to get a shade of color. For example using a base red with various levels of black shading to get a desired shade of red vs. using different shaded of red ink. I am curious as to opinions or differences from a collector standpoint?

I don't really think that this is something most collectors think about. If you want a specific colour you bring a sample (like the drawing you have above) and then you trust your tattooer to get it done right. I don't think any non tattooers will have any worthwhile opinion on this one.

Well, most collectors don't hang around tattoo forums or even have good tattoos for that matter. I honestly see more bad tattoos than I see good ones. The people on here clearly have opinions on what makes a good tattoo or there wouldn't be a humongous thread about it. That being said, there is a heavy bias with preference leaning toward traditional styles on this forum. I personally am the type that cares about how my tattoo will hold up long term. I don't expose them to the sun and take good care of them. Most photos I see of tattoos are posted right after they were done and hardly look the same not too long after healing. While I am not a fan of American Traditional for me, I respect some of the principles behind longevity of the tattoos. I guess you can say that there are different design approaches in non-traditional new school tattoos that may use old school approaches. Does that make sense?

Whether you get a traditional tattoo or a new age tattoo, as a collector, you should still leave the decision of how to shade something up the artist. I can't begin to tell you what the old school approach to shading is versus new school. That shouldn't even matter. Your point about our opinions on what makes a good tattoo; yes, good shading makes a good tattoo. But how that shading is completed could be any number of ten different ways.

Whether you get a traditional tattoo or a new age tattoo, as a collector, you should still leave the decision of how to shade something up the artist. I can't begin to tell you what the old school approach to shading is versus new school. That shouldn't even matter. Your point about our opinions on what makes a good tattoo; yes, good shading makes a good tattoo. But how that shading is completed could be any number of ten different ways.

I'm not implying that it shouldn't be up to the artist. I'm simply discussion trying to expand the conversation that has been talked about extensively from the long-timers on here about traditional holding up better because of the amount of black used. I am simply discussion this approach with new school tattoos.

It obviously is not leaning that way and people are interoperating that based on something not intended. Can I delete this thread?

It's not directly about the amount of black used. You keep harping on the saying that bold will hold. "Bold" does not necessarily translate directly in to "black". I have 3 tattoos. Only 1 has prevalent black shading that you are referring to but all of mine are "bold". Look in my gallery. My Oni, pre-color shading, looks just like your Spiderman does. It's almost like you're making the connection that ONLY traditional american tattoos can be considered bold.

According to dictionary.com "Bold, adj. striking or conspicuous to the eye; flashy; showy". In tattooing it means that the details will still catch your eye and stand the test of time when put up against aging, whatever the style. Bold is not a style. Bold is an adjective to describe a style.

Your Spiderman tattoo, among your others are not traditional American, but they are bold.

However, I am not one to debate styles of old school vs new school. I can't even tell you what a "new school" style tattoo is. I would just refer you to trendy tattoos on Pinterest. I hardly know anything about tattooing. I only know what I like.

That being said, to get back on topic, I cannot begin to opine on which type of shading ages better. Check out livedintattoos on Instagram, @ivarro runs that and there are a lot of great examples of aged tattoos. Maybe you can draw some inspiration seeing how some of those are shaded.

I really prefer the black shading vs many shades of color for one reason - I so often see many shades of color use (not always in tattoos) that are not all actually different shades of the same color, and they look very wonky. Imagine shaded red with a sudden purple or orange tint in just one part. Sometimes this is done intentionally and for good purpose (underwater scenes which DO vary like that), but often it just seems to kill great art to me. When shaded with black it doesn't change the original tint.

Ha! Yes, I'm Iwar on LST and ivarro on instagram.

nice, didn't know that was you! (the livedintattoos handle)

- - - Updated - - -

from what i understand, you NEED the black for it to hold better because black is carbon based and it helps the color "lock in". otherwise the non blacks colors will spread out. this is what i have read from some artists, so i don't know how accurate this is.