Forearm "Life changing" ?

I began my interests in tattoos about a year ago and started my first one after last new year (personal gift). I started from inner biceps and slowly making my way up and down the upper arms areas until both arms are pretty filled up. The tattoos were not really "seen" or noticed by other people since t-shirts would cover them really well. I never really had plans for forearms (I am originally from Thailand (now studying in the UK)which is very hot and it would be a pain to wear long sleeve to work) but eventually I couldnt resist the temptation!

A couple weeks ago, I got both of my forearms done all in one week (bad appointments timing). Since then I feel that my tattoos have become more visible and I would have to really wear long sleeve to conceal them occasionally which is not a big deal. But I feel like forearms tattoos have become a big move in my life and it sort of crossed the line of "socially acceptable" tattoos (but who gives a f*ck). I get much more stares and grabbing actions from random people and friends.

I just wonder if any of you felt the little "life changing" feeling/moment/realization/sensation after your forearms tattoos? hehe:cool: For me I feel excited about the life that lies ahead being covered in tattoos.

yeah man, definately!

when i dropped below t-shirt line, I remember saying to my tattooer how i was ready to "jump in to the big stuff". he laughed at me because I already had a big piece on my ribs and a leg sleeved in. but having the forearms tattooed definately changed my perception of myself as a tattooed individual. i felt different and echo the excitement.

i wore long sleeves for 2 years in the workplace before i hit the lower arms, as a test run to see if i could handle it. no problemo!

and still to this day i fairly exclusively wear long sleeves to work and out-n-about if it's hot and sunny.

timely topic - 18 tattoos in and i'm finally going forearm in august - working in a primary school i have definitely given it alot of thought but i too am at the stage where i dont care if it compromises me or changes peoples opinions of me - i wear short sleeves at work and intend to continue this year - other staff show their tattoos but only one other person has a small forearm tatt - other than that its leg pieces or back of neck, etc

anyway - i am looking forward to it

haha Thank you guys! Good to know I am not alone. I felt like a completely new chapter of my life began after the forearms and I don't know if I was thinking too much! My next mission is to get "something" through my neck then fulfill the gaps on the arms!

My first tattoo was a panther smack dab on the middle of my forearm a year ago. I loved the design of panther the minute I saw it but being my first tattoo, I wanted to be sure if I really wanted to go with it on my forearm. I knew I wanted it to be seen but if I was really ready, that was the next question.

Well after 3-4 months of thinking about it and plenty of talks with siblings and friends, some trying to convince me not to get it and others reminding me what I would be doing - I finally got it. It was a pretty bold testament to expressing myself without the care of what others think along with a lifetime decision for long sleeves if I pursue a line of work that requires no visible tattoos. Regardless, I couldn't be happier, and the placement I believe adds to the power and strength the design possesses and a year later I'm still as happy as ever with my decision every time I look down to see it.

My next mission is to get "something" through my neck

What did you have in mind? Were you thinking about a dagger or weapon of some sort?

I guess it really depends on what you do in life and where you live. I don't think that I'll tattoo my neck or hands, but it didn't phase me in the least to get all my first tattoos on my forearms. Long sleeves are always an option, and I figured if I'm going to get art on my body why not share it.

I still think it's funny that it seems controvertial to get started in this way. I had no idea at the time.

Best of luck with your new visible art!

I just realized the same thing...

My wedding ring for sure always shows, but all the rest just peek an inch or two out of the sleeves of a t-shirt.

My next tattoo is going to be on my right forearm. Once I figure out who is doing it, it is done.

During the summer it will always be out. I like dat. :)

I was nervous when I started below t-shirt line. Being a professional, I wasn't sure how it would go over. I wore long sleeves while at work for about a month. I finally realized I just didn't care. If I'm good enough at what I do or the service I provide, it shouldn't matter. So I stopped. I've come to find, even when meeting with millionaire developers or "old money" powerful people, the majority are mainly curious.

In fact, even at big meetings, it seems lately that the first 5 or 10 minutes is questions about my tattoos. Of course the first one is always, "did it hurt?".

The only time I wear long sleeves now is for protection from the sun, if I'm going to be working in the field all day.

I guess it really depends on what you do in life and where you live.

Basically this. At 20, I would definitely have hesitated, and probably stayed above the elbow. I'm turning 34 this year, I'm financially secure and settled into a profession that allows me to work at home, I live in an area of the country that's pretty liberal, and I've been waiting for over 15 years to get tattooed -- I really didn't think twice, to be honest.

It was still nice to have a tattooer ask me if tattooing down to my wrists was okay, though. It felt nice to know it mattered to him. It was also kind of nice to know he was okay with tattooing them, because I felt like I had maybe officially crossed the line between being a plainskin noob and being A Tattooed Person. (It was Gilsdorf, if anybody's curious.)

Here's a funny tidbit, though: During that appointment we were talking about the experience of getting tattooed generally, and I was laughing about how, even though I'm not very tattooed, I still find myself wringing my hands about running out of space. And Dan goes, 'I don't think you're 'not very tattooed' anymore, by civilian standards,' and I had to tell him that I think my perspective is now permanently warped by all the time I spend lurking around here, hahaha. Compared to LST's crew, I've barely even gotten started.

My first tattoo was a panther smack dab on the middle of my forearm a year ago. I loved the design of panther the minute I saw it but being my first tattoo, I wanted to be sure if I really wanted to go with it on my forearm. I knew I wanted it to be seen but if I was really ready, that was the next question.

Well after 3-4 months of thinking about it and plenty of talks with siblings and friends, some trying to convince me not to get it and others reminding me what I would be doing - I finally got it. It was a pretty bold testament to expressing myself without the care of what others think along with a lifetime decision for long sleeves if I pursue a line of work that requires no visible tattoos. Regardless, I couldn't be happier, and the placement I believe adds to the power and strength the design possesses and a year later I'm still as happy as ever with my decision every time I look down to see it.

What did you have in mind? Were you thinking about a dagger or weapon of some sort?

Yeah, probably a dagger. Kinda like your. But I definitely want to have a little gap between the "base" of the neck so it will not be visible. Looking forward to the pain on the boney areas!

Yeah, it was life-changing. I feel like I'm more... ME! Although I wore long sleeves for the first few months, it wasn't to hide a tattoo - it was to hide what I considered to be a BAD tattoo. After I had it re-worked some, I could accept it and show it. The execution is a little darker and a bit crooked with orphan bits, but maybe that depicts me better. My next will be upper arm half-sleeve, but I've already told the artist to try and extend it down a bit below the elbow, at least in part.

Yeah, probably a dagger. Kinda like your. But I definitely want to have a little gap between the "base" of the neck so it will not be visible. Looking forward to the pain on the boney areas!

When you say gap between the base do you mean having the dagger further towards the outside of you shoulders? Because if you're worried about it being visible outside of a collared shirt, don't even fret. It's only visible if I'm wearing a casual shirt that has an extremely wide collar, other than that you don't even see it.

Let your artist know beforehand as well, I'm sure most won't just assume you want a neck tattoo, they'll be courteous enough to work with the placement that you want and what you're comfortable with.

I'd suggest wearing a loose or wide collared shirt the day you get it tattooed that way when your artist is setting up the placement - if you're really that worried about it being visible you can make sure even with a loose fitted shirt it's still not seen before you take your shirt off and get it permanent. (Given, your artist doesn't let you look in a mirror before starting, which wont happen lol)

For this reason, whenever a friend or stranger ask me about advice surrounding their idea for a first tattoo, I tell them not to get it on their forearm. I think that for many people it's really good to kind of ease into the experience of being a tattooed person and being able choose when to show it.

I was quite hesitant to get my forearms done. I was studying journalism and had the idea that in that field of work it was important to be able to give of a good impression, and visible tattoos might offend people and prevent me from doing a good job. What made me change my mind was two things

a) I had a half sleeve and I realized that even if I wore a t-shirt that tattoo was peeking out quite a bit. So I would have to wear like a long sleeve shirt anyway, at best I could roll it up to the elbows.

b) I really love to look of tattoos on the forearms.

So I went for it. That was three years ago and I still have quite a lot of space left on my arms, besides getting three more tattoos there.

Just recently I had a similar chain of thoughts that made me decide to tattoo the top of my shoulders and a bit on the base of the neck. Without really planning it, my backpiece had extended enough to peek out above the rim of my t-shirt, so as long as I am not wearing a button up shirt strangers on the metro will know I am tattooed, even when I can't see them. So I might as well go for it. I guess I will start wearing button up shirts a lot more, which is fine too. I'm 28 and an adult.

Thankyou for the Advice! My artist always let me look at the mirror before the execution. Good ideas on wearing a loose collar shirt. Last thing I need is an accidental neck tattoo. hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

For this reason, whenever a friend or stranger ask me about advice surrounding their idea for a first tattoo, I tell them not to get it on their forearm. I think that for many people it's really good to kind of ease into the experience of being a tattooed person and being able choose when to show it.

I was quite hesitant to get my forearms done. I was studying journalism and had the idea that in that field of work it was important to be able to give of a good impression, and visible tattoos might offend people and prevent me from doing a good job. What made me change my mind was two things

a) I had a half sleeve and I realized that even if I wore a t-shirt that tattoo was peeking out quite a bit. So I would have to wear like a long sleeve shirt anyway, at best I could roll it up to the elbows.

b) I really love to look of tattoos on the forearms.

So I went for it. That was three years ago and I still have quite a lot of space left on my arms, besides getting three more tattoos there.

Just recently I had a similar chain of thoughts that made me decide to tattoo the top of my shoulders and a bit on the base of the neck. Without really planning it, my backpiece had extended enough to peek out above the rim of my t-shirt, so as long as I am not wearing a button up shirt strangers on the metro will know I am tattooed, even when I can't see them. So I might as well go for it. I guess I will start wearing button up shirts a lot more, which is fine too. I'm 28 and an adult.

I agree, with tattoos on upper arms areas peeking out of short sleeve. You are perceived as a tattooed person and to go into "conceal" mode, the only option is long sleeve anyway! That was my rationale as well. haha. It's kinda summer here in the area I am living in so I am walking around with t-shirt. Experimenting with long sleeve conceal mode at my part time job at the bar. But I couldn't be bothered. Most customers don't really care if the guy who is pulling them a pint is tattooed or not. But decision has been made, clock has already ticked, there is no going back ! :cool:

Like a few others, my first tattoo was a big forearm piece. At the time I'd done my research, I knew what artist I wanted and sketched out vaguely how I wanted the design to look. I did consider that placing my first tattoo in a conspicuous place might be a bad idea..but coming from a (non-tattoo) art background, I thought that I wouldn't compromise on a canvas that would suit the work better, and it was a perfect fit on the forearm in my mind, so I went with it. I didn't consider a few things I would think about now, like how the tattoo would look with sleeves but the artist really nailed the placement.

I think out of my 7 current tattoos the forearm one is the one that's really part of my identity. Big confidence booster when I first got it. Whenever possible I'd be rolling up my sleeves...which is now just an ingrained habit from doing it for so long. Haha. So yeah, I guess it was life changing for me.

In some ways, I'm sure my family would have preferred if I started off with a less visible piece, so that they could ease into the idea of it. Workplace has never been an issue for me, though it's probably since I work in a relatively 'young' field in my office job - and inner city.

it's definitely a big step, but it hasn't really changed the way i live my life. it's great having the enrichment that tattoos bring me visible for myself to see at almost all times. i don't have to go to the bathroom and pull up a sleeve or drop trou. i get to see the work of artists i admire and pieces that remind me of the things i want to be reminded of whenever i look down. not much better than reminders of home, loved ones, one of my earliest memories, stay calm, life is short, death is certain, perseverance, and WAKE UP! All in a glance.

definitely attracts more wandering looky loo eyes who don't get any of those reminders from looking at my arms. they're all mine! i might've said this in another thread, but now i realize why woman want you to look at their eyes and not at their breasts! hahahaha... i definitely notice folks stealing peeks at my arms mid-conversation. that's life changing in that it's made me more conscious of my own eye contact! O_O

i'm obviously a proponent of forearm tattoos for those who are ready for it. now, different threads already address the bolder placement on hands, neck, face, etc. that's a different story.

now, different threads already address the bolder placement on hands, neck, face, etc. that's a different story.

This is a "softcore" life changing scenario comparing to hands neck and face. haha. The only certainty in life are death and uncertainty :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friend, interesting your question, because I have a problem just in a tattoo on his forearm that did not long ago !!

It's very hard to get used to her, and I've thought up in laser !! everyone talks about what is beautiful, but just thinking she looks like a penis !! that silly , but look at the pictures ! Sorry for the English , I'm from Brazil

https://goo.gl/photos/veYEzXrpAbneLZ3S6

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is super old, but I wanted to post a rant about my experience but didn't want to make a new thread for it.

I just got one forearm tattoo about a month ago now. I have a few on my upper arms that peek out from short sleeves sometimes, so it really isn't that huge of a jump when you think about it. But in my mind, it still felt huge. I knew I was ready for the jump to visible tattoos for probably about a year now and had been thinking about what to get for most of that time. For the first few days after getting it, it was pretty jarring. It was weird having a tattoo that I could see all the time (I kind of have to look around for my other ones, sometimes I forget I have certain ones!) and I felt like it stuck out like a sore thumb. I was really worried I made a mistake and that I would never adjust. I was less worried (but still a little) about the judgments that people would make. It's much harder to hide the fact that I'm tattooed now, were people going to have more negative things to say...? 

Actually, I've gotten nothing but compliments. A lot of compliments. From co-workers, friends, strangers, other artists...most of these people don't even usually like traditional designs. I'm sure some people do silently judge me (although how can you hate a patriotic lady tattoo?) but I'm hearing overwhelming praise for it. In time, I got used to seeing it and it's starting to settle in and look more it belongs there. It's now maybe my favorite tattoo on myself and I can't believe I was so worried about it. As far as jobs go, I work in a field where no one really cares what you look like (social work) and plan on eventually moving into an artistic field where it'll matter even less.

So to answer the initial question...yes, this seemed like the BIGGEST deal at the time, but it ended up being a non issue in every aspect of my life. I'm really surprised at the warm reception this piece has gotten. Like all my tattoos, it ultimately makes me feel better about myself and I love seeing it all the time, so it was more than worth it for me personally to "pay the price" of being a more obviously tattooed person. Hell, part of me even enjoys the extra attention a little lol.

Edited by Synesthesia

Its awesome to read everyone's experience. I personally didn't have any feels starting my arm. My first tattoo on my chest game me the feeling of "jumping in." I think relinquishing control was my biggest fear the first go around. When I laid down to start my arm it was something I had been thinking about for so long it turned into an out of body experience.  Working in health care I had some concerns about public perception. I found that I was received the same by my patients. I do get the occasional questions that I'm sure we all get, did that hurt, how much did it cost, whats it mean, are you getting more?