Forearm "Life changing" ?

On 7/16/2015 at 5:07 AM, sophistre said:

Here's a funny tidbit, though: During that appointment we were talking about the experience of getting tattooed generally, and I was laughing about how, even though I'm not very tattooed, I still find myself wringing my hands about running out of space. And Dan goes, 'I don't think you're 'not very tattooed' anymore, by civilian standards,' and I had to tell him that I think my perspective is now permanently warped by all the time I spend lurking around here, hahaha. Compared to LST's crew, I've barely even gotten started.

I said a similar thing on here about a year ago when my boss at the time made some comment about me being 'pretty heavily tattooed'. Sure, compared to him and other people in the office I had a lot of tattoos. But compared to people here or people I hung out with I was still pretty green. 

Now I've gotten something on my ribs and that was a personal landmark. May sound weird but now I feel like I've graduated a level in being tattooed. Soon  I too will go below the elbows. For some reason I felt that I needed to have some torso work done before I did that though. 

i have two half sleeves done and unfortunately im not happy with them, i am happy with one apart from it needing more shading but the other i was the unfortunate victim of contamination and has caused all sorts of mess to my arm to which 9 months later im still trying to get fixed.  Visible areas are a risk, if they pull off its beautiful but if anything happens it can ruin things.  Those that choose to get a forearm tattoo or any that is visible should think things out first, i.e. work.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Made the jump Friday and tattooed the inner right forearm. Turned out fantastic (pic in the latest lowdown thread). 

I live by myself, well, I have a cat, and let me tell you trying to apply Saniderm to your fight forearm, alone, when you are right handed is an adventure. I really should have thought that one through a bit more. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ALL my first tattoos were on both my lower arms, I started my sleeves from the wrists up ! LOL

I wouldn't say it was "life changing", but it certainly cemented my addiction.

if anything has changed, tattoos have made my life better through the experiences I have had and the people I have met on my tattoo adventure over 25 years of getting tattooed, it's been a great ride and  I look forward to the future, I love the tattoo world and the people in it.

Edited by Dan

You guys rock. I used to be careful to keep my ink covered. The dragon claws and whiskers peek out of some short sleeve shirts.

One of the young guys at work said hey dude what's that peeking out from your sleeve? I laughed and showed him.

Yes I can clearly see there is always one more idea in the works...

My first tattoo was on my forearm, and holy shit did I notice the dirty looks at first.. years later I forgot. In the mean time I've gotten; 2 full sleeves, full chest, full stomach, 3/4 of my back done, 1 leg done, both hands, and one on my neck, still not too many dirty looks. About a year and a half ago I decided to get my head done, and holy F*** the looks I get now hahahaa. 

IMG_0282.jpg

Im not sure if it is life changing because based on context, it seems like you are worried about what others are thinking or possibly implications it could have in the workplace. 

First, I am extremely fortunate to work in the film industry where no one cares. I also mostly work in New York and can always toss a long sleeve shirt on if I don't want anyone to see or something. Either way, thats never been too much of a concern of mine. That said, am I the only one who sometimes wakes up, sees what their body has become and starts laughing? I am not really all that much covered- about 15 pieces of varying sizes, but it is a weird visual story and its a huge change for me. It certainly changed my life to some extent. 

Yes, I believe any tattoo placed in an area frequently seen by others will change your experience undoubtedly. I think tattoos get seen as so much the fashion item these days people forget how powerful they are. They communicate to the individual onlooker in a myriad of ways that could fill up a whole book. However, whatever the feelings about tattoos are by the onlooker could be the difference between them looking right past you as if you don't exist or asking you to come come with them to spend the night. Enjoy the journey. Every tattoo is a living commitment to allowing your internal world to the external.

• 2 weeks later...

My fourth tattoo was on my forearm. It was a snake wrapped around a panther and it was a huge step. Mind you, I was a senior in High School, and this was 1985. So, things were much different back then. This thread reminded me of how thrilled I used to get seeing the tail of the panther peek out when I was wearing a long sleeved shirt. I still have that tattoo (it’s since been redone), but I love those memories. It’s nice to see people still sharing the same thrill of getting a tattoo! I miss the taboo aspect...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 9:53 AM, Boiled Dove said:

I have similar thoughts sometimes. Glad it's not just me. 

it might not be quite the same, but i see my tattoos and they bring a huge smile to my face and spirit!

is the laughter due to the FTW attitude? where does it stem from?

• 2 weeks later...