How can you make your smaller tattoos not look like stickers on your skin?

Sick

Hello,

I've been struggling with this lately. I am at a point where I want a few small tattoos but I feel that they will look like stickers...I don't know how to counteract this thing, better placement?

Here's an example: I want to get a mickey mouse on my shoulder. I tried a little sketch and it just looks like smth that you get from a bubblegum and stick on your skin for a day.

Any ideas?

An actual tattoo will look different than sharpie on top of the skin, or tracing paper. After a while the tattoo will appear to be part of the skin. Even new, big tattoos have the appearance of being "ontop" on the skin when they are fresh. They will settle with time.

https://instagram.com/livedintattoos/

Flip through this instagram profile of old, healed tattoos. Plenty of them are quite small, but you'd never look at them and think "That's a cool sticker".

Soooo what about the longer, more detailed first part of that great advice then?

Yeah clearly. That was good advice but not very helpful. I still have no clue where to put my bodybuilder mickey mouse and still not look like a fucking sticker. Do you have an idea?

Imgur

I feel like the "looks like a sticker" thing pops up a lot as a way to shame people about their choice of tattoos. I mean this in a way that's entirely unrelated to understandable concerns about placement. A tattooer should be able to help you with that, but I have a smaller tattoo near my ankle and I like how it fits there.

get it over your nipple. hopefully after seeing it daily for a couple years youll notice that it has become your nipple and you cant scratch it off. "oh, shit! so that really wasnt a painful sticker!"

the ends of extremities (ankles/wrists) or somewhere central (try the top of your spine instead of your shoulder). also wanna say that certain designs make sense as stickers and certain designs make sense as tattoos

Hello,

I've been struggling with this lately. I am at a point where I want a few small tattoos but I feel that they will look like stickers...I don't know how to counteract this thing, better placement?

Here's an example: I want to get a mickey mouse on my shoulder. I tried a little sketch and it just looks like smth that you get from a bubblegum and stick on your skin for a day.

Any ideas?

yes ! get it bigger , get a larger tattoo that won't look like a "bubble gum pack" sticker.

Yeah clearly. That was good advice but not very helpful. I still have no clue where to put my bodybuilder mickey mouse and still not look like a fucking sticker. Do you have an idea?

Imgur

yes,don't get a fucking tiny souvenir tattoo then.

I use the 10/10 rule. If you probably not going to be able to tell what it is in 10 years from 10 feet away, then it's too small

haha. that's a pretty nice rule. How do you know how would i tlook in 10 years though?

- - - Updated - - -

I thought "looks like a sticker" was a compliment? Example "that tattoo is so clean, crisp, and bold it looks like a sticker"

Really? I thought it's a derogative : is that a tattoo? or did you get it from a bubblegum?

haha. that's a pretty nice rule. How do you know how would i tlook in 10 years though?

- - - Updated - - -

knowing that some fading and line widening is to expected, if it's boarderline when you get it from 10 feet away then it it's going to go downhill from there.

I see tattoos all of the time now that I can't tell what the hell they are

As others have said, all tattoos look unnatural when they're first applied. It takes some time for them to settle into the skin and look natural, no matter what style or size. I personally love tiny tattoos as fillers between larger pieces, or on smaller areas of the body, but you should get whatever you want (within reason, your artist might steer you a little or give some ideas to make it better). Don't worry so much what everyone else thinks, as long as you're happy.

lots of good advice here

go bigger is a good one

also - is it placement thats the issue

or content? kinda feeling it might be both

also - if you plan to get a bunch of tattoos

then just proceed and get on with it

the more you have around it

the more natural to the spot it will look

Is this a haiku?

what does

"go bigger is a good one" means?

what do you mean by content? that is not a good idea for a tattoo? did you see the photo?

- - - Updated - - -

As others have said, all tattoos look unnatural when they're first applied. It takes some time for them to settle into the skin and look natural, no matter what style or size. I personally love tiny tattoos as fillers between larger pieces, or on smaller areas of the body, but you should get whatever you want (within reason, your artist might steer you a little or give some ideas to make it better). Don't worry so much what everyone else thinks, as long as you're happy.

Thanks!