Showing Off

soraya

I remember a few summers ago when I was taking paraeducator classes, I said I wondered how it would go for employment at the district w/my tattoos, would I be asked to cover them etc. (I worked for 8 years in a Dr's office before that and after 6 years of no issue, I started working more at the same time w/the office manager and after a few weeks of capri's and flip flops during the summer with my ankles/feet exposed she changed the office policy that no flip flops or anything short was allowed--but I was specifically told it "wasn't b/c of me" hahaha uh huh ok) One of the women taking the class who worked in a different district said eh, no problem, I have one and it's never been an issue...but hers was like a 20 minute deal that was mostly covered by shoes that I hadn't even noticed in the three weeks we took classes. I'm like ummmmm but see....And, pleasantly enough, it's never been an issue. I don't hide them at all--and I've got a TON more now than I did when I started three years ago! I've gotten many a look from other staff, and other than one of the janitors who has full sleeves (but they're really old and faded) I'm the most heavily tattooed by far. We have all new administration this year, so I'm hoping it won't suddenly become a problem--and I'm hoping that my work w/the kids speaks for itself. I think it's made a difference w/some parents, who may have been apprehensive about my teaching their kids, but they see the connection we have. I like surprising people and changing their minds about tattooed folk.

@beez - Your experience at that airport sounds awful. I think that sort of experience is partly what I fear about showing my ink every day. That is what I mean about not wanting to be a spectacle. Like it or not, people are going to stare. And sometimes nice, honestly curious people stare. I mean, when I see a cool tattoo, I stare! (sorry folks!)

And like your experience, when I have let my ink show, the negative comments/looks have also been from older folks. I'm no spring chicken, I take good care of myself and dress stylishly, so I probably look a bit younger. I do get it though - Older generations probably just can't get their head around why people would do something like that.

The Whole Foods comment is funny! When I go there, I feel like I'm with "my people!"

@sophistre:

So, I enjoy seeing my tattoos, and showing them to other people! They're beautiful, and half of the people I meet have never seen tattoos like them, and say as much. It's not really 'showing off' so much as...I dunno...enjoying them openly? Like the way a good haircut or something makes a person feel. Just...good. Better.

When I've been on vacation showing my tattoos, I've gotten a few comments from people who have never seen tattoos like mine (pretty dense half sleeve coverage). If they seem open, sincerely curious, and nonjudgmental, I love talking about my tattoos. Sometimes I think I've educated people a little bit, which feels nice.

And I agree with the haircut analogy! Or a cool new outfit! you just want to be seen in it because it makes you feel good. And it feels nice when people compliment you, whether, "Oh, cute outfit!" or, "Your tattoos are really pretty." Funny though - people never would say that your dress looks disgusting, but they will say that about your tattoos. Oh well...

I never even thought or worried about something like this honestly!

I got tattooed for me and most of the time I never think of myself as a "tattooed person".....I am just another human being that instead of adorning myself with gold and silver jewelry and the "latest fashion" decided to add some color to her body!

I'd like to see people move past seeing others as "tattooed people".....nothing special....nothing different!

We're all just people.....

My 2 cents

@soraya, I like your comment about how you, as a tattooed person, sometimes stare at tattoos, and you're right, so do I, in appreciation! So the stares are not always in horror or distaste, and sometimes I really wish someone would stop so I could look more closely to see them. You just don't know what someone will perceive as rudeness, though.

I also like your comment, @Bunny Switchblade, about how people are people, and you aren't "a tattooed person" but just "a person," as this is a conversation I have with my daughters all the time. We tend to label people, categorize them, since it is human nature to do so, but it shouldn't be much different than, like you say, someone with jewelry versus without, or short hair versus long, spectacles versus contact lenses, etc.

I forgot to mention that when I go to the annual tattoo convention in my area, I definitely dress to show off. I usually wear a racerback top so it will show my sleeves and shoulder ink. If I get my back piece, I'll probably opt for a backless dress, or maybe a modified tank that is backless. Not sure if I can find something like this or if I will have to make something. Any suggestions, ladies? Anybody else dress to the nines for conventions?

Conventions are a place where I violate my "always cover" rule. I love feeling part of the tribe. I do worry that I might see someone I knew. Now of course this is patently absurd because if I am so concerned about untattooed people that I know seeing and judging me, why in hell would they be at a tattoo convention? Sheesh...I am so friggin' neurotic!

But I did run into a tattooed woman there who works at the coffee shop that I frequent, which was funny because for a few seconds we looked at each other with strange looks trying to figure out why we recognized each other, and I had a moment of panic thinking that she might be a professional contact. Then it dawned on us both at almost the same moment how we knew each other. She said "Ooooh cool sleeves! I've never seen your tattoos before!" I said yeah, I usually cover up. The next time I was at the coffee shop, all neatly covered up and professionally dressed, she gave me a little smile and knowing wink, which was fun - I kind of like knowing that she knows my secret.

- - - Updated - - -

Well this thread is fun. In addition to discussing whether we dress to show off, it went places I didn't expect, making me confront my reluctance to show my tattoos. Some of you really made me really think hard about this - thanks!

I'm going on vacation out-of-state next week, where I will pretty much constantly show my tattoos, as is usual when on vacation. But this time I'm going to try to try to imagine that I'm at home with my tattoos showing. When I come back, I think I'm going to test the waters and go out in my hometown with my tattoos showing. This will be a big step for me! I'll keep you posted!

We went to Omaha for a couple days to shop, take the kids to the zoo and there's a waterpark at the hotel. So. We're shopping-I had a racerback tank on. I had...I dunno, I quit counting/keeping track, SO many people-mostly women, come up and ohhh and ahh over my tattoos! Seriously-three times alone from the door of Spaghetti Works until we walked to our table! Every store at least one person randomly in an aisle, plus waiting for dressing rooms, plus every check out line, plus every time we were outside walking to another store. It was insane. My husband had to keep turning around to walk back and look for me b/c I'd been waylaid, talking w/someone about them! He's like "Good lord honey, they are *drawn* to you today! You're like a rock star!" It was pretty crazy. I quite liked it!

Yeah, you're right, @Tornado6, and tomorrow I finally get my left shoulder piece, but, in my mind (don't know if this is how others feel about where their tattoos go) this tattoo MUST be on my LEFT shoulder cap, not the right, no way no how, but not exactly sure why and there is not a clear reason for that. So, if I find that the one-shoulder top trend leans towards showing the right shoulder, I'd still have to go with a left shoulder tattoo!

For the first time ever I'll be sad to see warm weather leaving us this fall and have to start covering up my new shoulder piece as the cold starts creeping in. However, there are always occasions, even in the winter, where women bare their shoulders, so all is not lost!

I know. These tattoos are left arm tattoos. My right arm is for a composed, single piece half sleeve, if I ever find the right artist. I did find a few dresses that do go the other way, and there are always the adjustable halters too.

I've never been a fan of strapless before, but I could see myself doing it now.

@soraya, I like your comment about how you, as a tattooed person, sometimes stare at tattoos, and you're right, so do I, in appreciation! So the stares are not always in horror or distaste, and sometimes I really wish someone would stop so I could look more closely to see them. You just don't know what someone will perceive as rudeness, though...

Yes @LizBee! - I try to keep my staring...um...casual, hoping I'm not too obvious. :) I know people hate being stared at. And I know a some people here say they hate being asked about their tattoos, but I see something cool, and I really want to look carefully and talk to them about it, ask them who did it, and give them a compliment. On the street I usually don't say anything but at a convention I feel better about asking people about their tattoos. More of an accepting atmosphere there.

- - - Updated - - -

It was pretty crazy. I quite liked it!

@iowagirl That's where I want to be - In a mindset that I can like the attention. I already know that when I'm in a situation where I'm not going to be recognized by anyone like when on vacation, I really like the attention that my tattoos bring. It really makes me feel special.

- - - Updated - - -

@Tornado6 @LizBee - I’ve seen tattooed ladies with one-shoulder tops, and I really like the look, especially if you have a large piece on a shoulder or upper arm - it really features it. It also looks very purposeful, makes a statement like "I want to feature this tattoo!" I’ve always liked some asymmetrical looks (for years I've worn four earrings in one ear and one in the other), but since my half-sleeves are equal, the one-shoulder look sort of relegates the other side to “second-class citizenship.” But I guess It could still work for me. It would show the whole picture on one side, and just give a hint on the other.

So, this should be restricted to a lady's subject?

so being a guy here is my .02,I love showing all my tattoos and I love the attention and I enjoy talking to other tattooed people and plainskins as well about my tattoos,

maybe I'm a little crazy,but I am a very outgoing person and I will go up and comment or start a conversation with other tattooed people anytime anywhere,

if they are friendly great ! if not,I just walk away,

I also enjoy comments or questions from plainskins,IMO that's good for us tattooed people so that maybe the plainskins won't think we are all ex felon axe murderers,

I wear shorts sandals and t-shirts as often as I can,which is every day ! LOL I even wear shorts and short sleeve golf shirts for work,the weather here in nor cal is pretty mild.

I live in a hot climate and have a lot of tattoos, so they are going to show. I do have a couple of strapless maxi dresses that I like to wear, because I love how my shoulder caps look and to see all of my arms and back connected, because usually they are broken up by my more standard clothes.

I am not looking for attention, or comments or questions. A few weeks ago, I had a man catch my eye while I was trapped in a grocery lineup and I thought "oh no"; a gentleman, perhaps in his early sixties, strode up to me. He leaned towards me and quietly and confidently said "Your tattoos are unique and beautiful, you are a picture of elegance" and walked away. I think this is the kindest and unexpected thing a stranger has ever said to me.

I live in a hot climate and have a lot of tattoos, so they are going to show. I do have a couple of strapless maxi dresses that I like to wear, because I love how my shoulder caps look and to see all of my arms and back connected, because usually they are broken up by my more standard clothes.

I am not looking for attention, or comments or questions. A few weeks ago, I had a man catch my eye while I was trapped in a grocery lineup and I thought "oh no"; a gentleman, perhaps in his early sixties, strode up to me. He leaned towards me and quietly and confidently said "Your tattoos are unique and beautiful, you are a picture of elegance" and walked away. I think this is the kindest and unexpected thing a stranger has ever said to me.

Ohhh goodness, I would've been floating on *air* after a comment like that! How wonderful!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes @LizBee! - I try to keep my staring...um...casual, hoping I'm not too obvious. :) I know people hate being stared at. And I know a some people here say they hate being asked about their tattoos, but I see something cool, and I really want to look carefully and talk to them about it, ask them who did it, and give them a compliment. On the street I usually don't say anything but at a convention I feel better about asking people about their tattoos. More of an accepting atmosphere there.

- - - Updated - - -

@iowagirl That's where I want to be - In a mindset that I can like the attention. I already know that when I'm in a situation where I'm not going to be recognized by anyone like when on vacation, I really like the attention that my tattoos bring. It really makes me feel special.

- - - Updated - - -

@Tornado6 @LizBee - I’ve seen tattooed ladies with one-shoulder tops, and I really like the look, especially if you have a large piece on a shoulder or upper arm - it really features it. It also looks very purposeful, makes a statement like "I want to feature this tattoo!" I’ve always liked some asymmetrical looks (for years I've worn four earrings in one ear and one in the other), but since my half-sleeves are equal, the one-shoulder look sort of relegates the other side to “second-class citizenship.” But I guess It could still work for me. It would show the whole picture on one side, and just give a hint on the other.

I like asymmetrical too, a lot. Once I started going on mine I decided I'll be taking it all the way across and down, but I think right now I have more along the lines of what you do, a smattering on one side and full on the other? I don't have a picture of my back as it is now, just separate pictures.

If someone could point me in the direction of strapless tops/dresses, I'd love that. I'd rather have it as bare as possible in the back so as to show them off to the fullest extent!

Staring--hell I do it too, I can't help it. I don't stare at someone for a rude reason, like a disfigurement or weird clothes, if I'm staring it's b/c of something I like-hair cut, hair color, tattoos, shoes, an outfit, jewelry etc..And I *try* not to be crazy stalker obvious. If I'm being stared at and I have a tank top on (or even short sleeves b/c you can see them peek at the bottom), I assume it's b/c of my work and I don't care if it's bad staring, like if people are horrified by it. If I've long sleeves on and am being stared at, I don't like it b/c I assume it's my extra weight or my bad skin. That makes me feel self conscious and bad about myself. My tattoos make me feel purty. And I will also admit when I know people are looking, I will turn to "look" at things I have no interest in to show off more. I'll stretch out my arm like ohhh I have an itch on my neck, so it shows the flow down my arm too.

I have no shame.

I only have one tiny tattoo at the moment, a £40 bare-bones compass on the inside of my wrist that noone notices. I got it to cover up some scars etc....but the tattooist deliberately shifted it to the left a bit. Needless to say I don't tend to show it off much. What I really really want in maybe a year or so is a western style dragon going from my hip, along my side/back, to my shoulder. I'm just waiting until I can a) afford it b) draw my idea right and c) find the right artist. Now that I will show off if it gets done right.

Guy here. I don't like (or own) shorts so my leg tattoos are hidden by virtue of that fact, and I don't wear v-necks or unbutton my shirt far enough to see my torso, so most are hidden by virtue of their placement... But I wear long sleeves whenever I need a person to think I'm a positive tax-paying citizen. I answer disapproving looks with my regular scowl and stare back when people stare. Never gotten a negative comment on them... Usually the "dont fucking talk to me" message I put out is well received and only my friends really compliment them.

As far as showing them off: hidden until you need to scare somebody ;)

...I thought "oh no"; a gentleman, perhaps in his early sixties, strode up to me. He leaned towards me and quietly and confidently said "Your tattoos are unique and beautiful, you are a picture of elegance" and walked away. I think this is the kindest and unexpected thing a stranger has ever said to me.

@SnowyPlover - That's a beautiful encounter! I could live on a comment like that for months!

I have no shame.

@iowagirl -Great attitude! And you have very cool tattoos! Love you sleeve especially. (by the way, I'm staring!)

• 2 weeks later...

So...

I was on vacation last week, and as usual on vacation, I was not very concerned about my tattoos showing, but this time tried to imagine that I was in my home town. I attended a lecture at the local historical society - partly as a tattoo visibility experiment, since this was the sort of place where if I was at home, I might feel very uncomfortable letting my tattoos show, since it would be a conventional crowd. I wore a sleeveless top so my half sleeves were fully on display. I didn’t take a sweater as a cover, so I had nothing to fall back on if I panicked.

I was really nervous, and felt very conspicuous at first, and almost wanted to leave, but I stuck with my plan and calmed down. I got a few subtle looks from some older ladies before the lecture started, but they were not very obvious. During the Q & A I forced myself to be a little bold and raised my hand high to ask a question, and I was quite aware that my tattooed arm was up in the air for everybody to view. There was a reception afterward and I deliberately went up to a few older ladies to talk, and we chatted nicely and there were no comments or stares, although I did catch a few glances when I walked away. So that was a successful outing that I can build upon.

For the rest of the week, I was just out and about in short sleeves every day all day. When on vacation I generally don’t worry about my tattoos showing, but this time I consciously committed to have my ink visible constantly. I got a few glances - some accompanied with frowns. I really tried to be aware of my feelings at those moments. When I saw the glances, I started to get uncomfortable and wanted to escape, but I reminded myself that I was ok, just different, and that those people’s glances don’t matter. Nobody made any negative comments, so I didn't have to deal with that. That will be more uncomfortable.

I did have a very positive experience: I was shopping and saw a woman with a beautiful floral tattoo winding from her bicep to her forearm. So I went to the table where she was shopping, and like @iowagirl, I deliberately reached out to pick up something so my arm would be in her field of vision. She commented on the sweaters on the table and I responded, and then said that she liked my sleeves, and I complimented her on her flowers, and we talked for a few minutes about tattoos. I told her I was trying to get comfortable having them show, and she said “Just do it. Don’t worry about other people think.” She said she used to worry about reactions, but eventually stopped worrying about it. So we chatted for a few minutes about tattoos. That was so cool, and I loved the “matter of fact” tone of the conversation - we were just two tattooed girls talking about our tattoos. The few times when I've had those kinds of experiences, I feel like I'm floating. I feel like I’ve talked to a soul-mate, somebody who understands. It feel so good, and it makes me proud to be part of the tattooed crowd, and glad that I chose to be different.

So all-in-all it went well. It felt good to be in the open with my ink, and I was able to The next test is to try it now that I’m home.

@soraya, so glad you are "coming out of your shell". I word a prayer for our congregation in Sunday morning worship about 50% of the time. I'm usually the oldest male present. I have worn short sleeves exposing my forearm tattoo since the weather became warm enough for them. Doesn't bother me at all. What is the difference between makeup, clothing with designs, and tattoos? Just because the first two can be removed or changed they are approved? Tattoos (at least for me) represent much more thought. But then, most of our praise team have tattoos, some more than me. The preacher has none but his wife has told me that she has one on her hip that she would like to have enlarged down her thigh. I guess we aren't very traditional, but in today's church we are fairly main stream. I try to live by my tag line (Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out.), and don't assume that others are judging me, either.