Introduction

Emily Sewuster

Hi there, Last Sparrow community!

My name is Emily. I'm just a junior tattoo-collector in the making, young of age, and the only patches covered on my body were done by local artists (who, fortunately, also happen to have the most solid portfolios, excellent customer service, technical ability, and, of course, cleanliness around. There are multiple shops in my area, but I am lucky in the fact that the very best is fifteen minutes away from my home.) I'm currently a university student/summer-working-intern saving money for tattoo-oriented travel to the artists whose works tug at my heartstrings as hard as their waiting lists are long.

I've enjoyed lurking the forums and reading the tales of those older than me who have been living my dream of international inking. I started going to my local shop for piercings at age 17 and have since built a rapport with the tattooers and other staff for being in the shop on an extremely frequent basis, whether it's because I have a craving for new jewelery, an adjustment of my current jewelery, or a new stab wound to hold in place with some metal. Years later, I'm taking philosophy courses as electives for university, and I recognize one of the tattoo artists from the shop in class. Given that he was older than your typical university student, I was surprised, but he recognized me immediately and what followed was two semesters of sitting with him, in between which, I bonded with him enough to sit with him for my first tattoo. Turns out this grown man with a wife and an established career was getting a degree in philosophy just because it was a passion of his. I chose to upgrade my philosophy minor into a double-major, and I'm excited to get an appropriate piece from him when I graduate to commemorate my accomplishment.

In the meantime, I'm dipping into my travel funds to get another small tattoo from him. My appointment is set for August 1st, and when I walked in to leave my deposit, I was greeted by everyone. My sweet piercer, a petite blonde woman, gave my artist a hilariously gruff lecture for not being able to get me an appointment even sooner than the shortened one-month waiting time he already had given me! To boot, he booked what he estimated to be an hour more than he needed for the tattoo because he figured "Oh, you and I? We'll probably need a good chat session together."

My piercer once offered me an apprenticeship out of the blue just because, in her words, I was one of her favourite clients. I was beyond flattered, but due to mild cerebral palsy affecting my hands and fine-motor-skills, I had to decline. She laughed and got red and admitted to me that she kept forgetting about my disability. I think that made me tear up more than getting my septum done did!

I apologize for having gone off topic, but I live in a relatively conservative, traditional area and it's not often that get to share my adoration for this industry and how happy all of my experiences thus far have been. Due to the 10-post-3-day rule that keeps LST spam-free, I chose to write this in my intro. Waiting three days may have caused me to burst out of pent-up-affection for the aforementioned guys and gal who have treated me so well over the years. Though I always tip, money never seems to be enough praise.

Tattooers, I appreciate what you do so much. Fellow enthusiasts, I hope all of you are able to get experiences like mine every time you go under the needle!

Thanks, haha. I know tattoo collectors around here are into dropping some pretty big names, and I hope to one day be able to post the same names in connection to work on my body, for now, my local shop is my haven. I'm glad my story is starting on a good note.

- - - Updated - - -

Aw, thanks! I guess people my age haven't been broken down by the world enough to put a bridle on their enthusiasm, haha! Looking forward to growing on these forums and sharing my future ink adventures!

Welcome Emily! As far as the "big names" go, yes, there are a lot of tattooers out there with "big names" who are making fantastic tattoos, but there are also so many other tattooers out there who maybe don't have name recognition who are putting on great tattoos and giving people wonderful experiences while doing so, and I hope that LST is inclusive of everybody who gets excited about tattoos and wants to learn more and talk with like-minded people.

Who are you getting tattooed by?

Welcome Emily! As far as the "big names" go, yes, there are a lot of tattooers out there with "big names" who are making fantastic tattoos, but there are also so many other tattooers out there who maybe don't have name recognition who are putting on great tattoos and giving people wonderful experiences while doing so, and I hope that LST is inclusive of everybody who gets excited about tattoos and wants to learn more and talk with like-minded people.

Who are you getting tattooed by?

Thank you so much for this! While I drool over "big names" as much as any other tattoo fan would, it'll take a few years before I can get under their needles. Jared Sark is my local friend and artist, and I believe that being tattooed by a friend provides a touch to the art that you can't get any other way.

I'm sure LST will satisfy my tattoo itch in between pieces and I'm excited to learn more about the craft through veterans and my fellow college-age kids alike!

dont forget to check out the interview section

i agree - nice intro!

pics please

Oh man, I'm gonna eat up that interview section! Sadly, I'm not a "selfie" kinda girl so the only picture I have of my work is my first tattoo when it was freshly done. I figure I can see it any time I please so I don't keep updated documentation on its progress now that it's nice and healed up. I might get around to updating it, but alas, shoulder blades aren't the easiest things to get pictures of. The piece I'm getting on the 1st will be on my leg, which I admit I'm nervous about because who knows how my palsied muscles will react, but at least it'll be easy to show off and snap photos of!

Mind the redness, I hope you don't mind small, girly things!

IbsRmpI.jpg

If I may brag on behalf of my artist, I'd say his instagram has some great traditional-style work.

I look forward to ogling over everyone's pictures here!

• 1 month later...